MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropping A Course Help! Joyceyblank First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 10-21-2011 01:58 PM
dropping a course? knibs Academics 1 10-11-2011 02:19 PM
Withdrawing from McMaster Incognitus First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-05-2011 07:47 PM
Dropping Course Help! Cassanova Academics 1 05-11-2010 11:54 AM
Dropping a Course qwerty41231 Academics 2 04-08-2010 08:50 PM

Withdrawing / dropping out of Mac

Old 09-09-2012 at 01:11 PM   #1
hogwarts

Liked: 0 Times

Withdrawing / dropping out of Mac
Does anyone here know the process for it?
I've been googling it, but all I can find is how to drop a course, not actually dropping out or withdrawing from the university.

Due to family issues, and since I have to go back to my country, I will need to withdraw from the university.
The thing is, does anyone know which date this should be done so I wouldn't get any financial/academic penalties? And how much will these penalties be?

Another thing is my OSAP, since this year, we don't pick it up from the office anymore; they now just directly deposit it to my account, so that's a bit of a problem too if I'm withdrawing.

If anyone here can help, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 09-09-2012 at 01:13 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

If you drop all your courses right now you should be able to get all your money back. Technically you wouldn't be enrolled at McMaster anymore, but you should probably talk to an Academic Advisor to make sure you don't need to do anything else.

hogwarts says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 09-09-2012 at 01:29 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwarts View Post
Does anyone here know the process for it?
I've been googling it, but all I can find is how to drop a course, not actually dropping out or withdrawing from the university.

Due to family issues, and since I have to go back to my country, I will need to withdraw from the university.
The thing is, does anyone know which date this should be done so I wouldn't get any financial/academic penalties? And how much will these penalties be?

Another thing is my OSAP, since this year, we don't pick it up from the office anymore; they now just directly deposit it to my account, so that's a bit of a problem too if I'm withdrawing.

If anyone here can help, I would greatly appreciate it!
Drop all of your courses before the drop/add deadline to avoid any penalties (whenever that is...might as well just do it now). You suffer financial penalties long before there are any academic penalties

Go to the financial aid office and tell them your situation, they can advise you of what to do about OSAP. If you have been an OSAP recipient before, you will need to make plans to start paying the money back, since you won't be registered in school anymore.

You should probably also contact the registrar as well, since they are responsible for student registration. If you received a sticker for this year, they will probably want you to return it.

If you have any other questions, an advisor might be able to help you, or at least tell you who to speak to.

hogwarts says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 09-09-2012 at 01:33 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

To do it yourself just go on SOLAR and drop all your courses. That way you get your money back (1 week since school starts). I would go to academic office and make an appointment asap

hogwarts says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 09-09-2012 at 02:57 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

1. Drop all your courses on SOLAR.
2. Talk to the financial aid office and explain your situation so they can help you out!
3. You need to let your faculty know that you are leaving Mac.
4. You need to write a letter to the Registrars explaining why you need to withdraw...you need to also include your student card with the letter.

All the best in life

hogwarts says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 09-09-2012 at 03:01 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Drop all of your courses before the drop/add deadline to avoid any penalties (whenever that is...might as well just do it now). You suffer financial penalties long before there are any academic penalties

Go to the financial aid office and tell them your situation, they can advise you of what to do about OSAP. If you have been an OSAP recipient before, you will need to make plans to start paying the money back, since you won't be registered in school anymore.

You should probably also contact the registrar as well, since they are responsible for student registration. If you received a sticker for this year, they will probably want you to return it.

If you have any other questions, an advisor might be able to help you, or at least tell you who to speak to.
To add on:
You're supposed to notify OSAP of any changes to your application, which include course load. If you tell them your course load is now 0%, I'm sure they would automatically say you aren't enrolled in school anymore. If you get the money, you have to pay it back immediately. Any previous OSAP loans will be paid off by their scheduled payments (Although you can pay off more to minimize interest). Payment begin 6 months after your last session, so that would be your first payment it probably due in 1-2 months.

Best thing to do is call OSAP and get everything straightened out with them.

hogwarts says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 09-09-2012 at 09:31 PM   #7
hogwarts

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you everyone!
You've all just given me all the information I need,
so thank you so much!