MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any pass/fail courses? Phantom Academics 3 06-05-2013 12:00 AM
Pass/Fail courses SHWEDDIES Academics 6 06-10-2012 09:28 PM
Pass/Fail Courses and Medical School robots Academics 3 01-09-2011 07:15 PM
To fail, or not to fail? That is the question... sniderj Academics 13 04-22-2010 06:09 PM
Fail, Fail, Fail??? nikJ Academics 1 01-03-2010 01:52 AM

Withdrew from 2 courses already, might fail one

Old 03-10-2016 at 02:24 AM   #1
loverofwisdom

Liked: 0 Times

Withdrew from 2 courses already, might fail one
Earlier in the fall term I had a family matter that caused me to miss a bunch of class so I had to withdraw from one course, then this semester I dropped a class 10 minutes too late on the add/drop deadline so I was unable to switch into another class. Now I am in the position in which I have one super low mark this semester and there is a chance I could fail this course. I was already planning on taking the spring/summer semester (4-5 classes total) to make up for my two withdrawn classes and to take classes that were full earlier in the year I wanted to take. However, if I fail that one class this semester will I be kicked out of McMaster or will it be ignored on account that I will already be enrolled in the spring/summer semester?
Old 03-10-2016 at 08:44 AM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Go to your academic adviser for an actual answer
Old 03-10-2016 at 11:59 AM   #3
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

1- There's a limit to how many summer school courses you can take (so I think 4-5 might already be exceeding this limit)
2- You get assessed based on your grades from the fall and winter terms, so, no, your summer school grades won't be taken into account when calculating your sessional average.

I recommend you try really hard these next few weeks and try to score very highly on your exams. If you do get kicked out, you can apply to get reinstated and explain your reasoning (your family matter) for performing poorly.
Old 03-10-2016 at 03:11 PM   #4
justicebeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
1- There's a limit to how many summer school courses you can take (so I think 4-5 might already be exceeding this limit)
4 courses is normally the limit. They let you overload under certain circumstances, but op needs to see academic adviser for exact details
Old 03-10-2016 at 04:32 PM   #5
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
They let you overload under certain circumstances.
I remember being told you can overload only if your marks are amazing, which is clearly not the case here.

I'd suggest taking a break from school. Either way you will be here longer, but if you rest and get your shit together before going back to studying, your marks won't be as bad as if you stayed and failed a bunch of courses.
Old 03-10-2016 at 07:31 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

You should have seen an academic advisor much sooner.
If it truly was "ten minutes" after the deadline, they'll usually waive it and let you in to the new course, however it sounds like that really wouldn't have helped you since you were struggling with even a reduced courseload.

But yeah, you should see an advisor ASAP.
Old 03-10-2016 at 08:06 PM   #7
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
You should have seen an academic advisor much sooner.
If it truly was "ten minutes" after the deadline, they'll usually waive it and let you in to the new course, however it sounds like that really wouldn't have helped you since you were struggling with even a reduced courseload.

But yeah, you should see an advisor ASAP.
Word. I told my adviser I confused the deadlines, and she did all the changes I wanted 5 days after the deadline.
Old 03-10-2016 at 09:29 PM   #8
justicebeaver

We need a bot that replies to such posts asap so people get the idea sooner

starfish likes this.
Old 03-11-2016 at 08:58 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicebeaver View Post
We need a bot that replies to such posts asap so people get the idea sooner
Yes, but at the same time, it's really just basic common sense.
Old 03-11-2016 at 09:01 PM   #10
justicebeaver

its the age of smart phones and stupid people (sorry op, not directly calling you stupid)