MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTF Ontario just got 40 million times worse maksym General Discussion 24 11-06-2010 02:45 AM
Downloading Office Documents on a Mac from Avenue anthony Computers & Tech 4 09-30-2010 07:53 PM
rez internet downloading limit cjdzl General Discussion 12 09-24-2010 09:26 PM
Downloading Movies Ptalati Computers & Tech 1 09-19-2010 05:54 PM
downloading ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-06-2010 10:06 PM

Woman fined $1.5 million for downloading music

Old 11-06-2010 at 09:00 AM   #1
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Woman fined $1.5 million for downloading music
A little harsh! no?

"The Minnesota mother of four is being penalized for illegally downloading and sharing 24 songs on the peer-to-peer file-sharing network Kazaa in 2006, but how much she owes the record labels has been in question. The jury in her third trial has just ruled that Thomas-Rasset should pay Capitol Records $1.5 million, CNET reports, which breaks down to $62,500 per song. It's a heavy penalty considering the 24 tunes would only cost approximately $24 on iTunes, which was Thomas-Rasset' argument, too. "

http://new.ca.music.yahoo.co m/blog...ding-24-songs/
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:02 AM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-06-2010 at 09:11 AM   #3
escape

Liked: 38 Times

oh morning lawley
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:19 AM   #4
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Well...she must really fail at downloading.
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:40 AM   #5
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

Toughness until you`re the one on the receiving end.
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:42 AM   #6
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

She must fail at downloading if she's using Kazaa...

But ya that's a bit harsh.
Old 11-06-2010 at 10:41 AM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Um, of course the penalty will be more than the face value of the songs ($1 x 24)!!! If I go and try to steal a $50 pair of jeans and get caught, I could get fined way more than $50. Of course, they might also let me off without a penalty. But then, if I were to keep stealing jeans or whatever from the store, they would definitely fine me, and those fines would increase dramatically if I ended up stealing repeatedly.
If she was willing to pay $24 for those songs, then she should have. Everybody is willing once they get caught. If the punishment is equal to whatever she would have spent on the songs, then there is no incentive to pay for them in the first place--take whatever 'free' stuff you can get until someone decides you should pay for them. The whole point of having these fines is to discourage people from stealing, not make it economically smart for them to continue to do so.
Old 11-06-2010 at 10:44 AM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Lol I know somebody who owns millions of songs downloaded off of kazaa, limewire, torrents, etc..

Why are they picking on this poor woman?
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:10 AM   #9
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Lol I know somebody who owns millions of songs downloaded off of kazaa, limewire, torrents, etc..

Why are they picking on this poor woman?
That's what I was thinking. It's like a cop going after a 14 year old buying weed when they could be focusing on the drug dealer instead. Maybe they wanted to make an example of this woman, show people that you don't have to be a big time downloader to get caught.
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:11 AM   #10
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

ya this doesnt make sense freakin everyone downloads this stuff why target her
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:18 AM   #11
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Umm by sensing the comments! It seems like none of you have used limewire or utorrent...Is it true? lol

PS: How did she get caught?
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:22 AM   #12
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Umm by sensing the comments! It seems like none of you have used limewire or utorrent...Is it true? lol

They can easily find your IP address if you d/l it through torrents. Basically, anyone who does anything illegal through torrents is an idiot.

I don't know how it works for regular d/ling though. Is it just as easy to track someone?
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:24 AM   #13
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:

I'm not sure of how things work in america, but in canada the government and your isp cannot take a look at anything you download, but anything you upload is fair game. Being on a p2p network it is likely she was uploading music as well, the feds went to her house which they tracked down using her ip address and contacting her isp, took a look at her hard drive and BAM! Massive fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
They can easily find your IP address if you d/l it through torrents. Basically, anyone who does anything illegal through torrents is an idiot.
I read somewhere that they can't just slap a fine on anyone downloading a torrent. Something about entrapment.

I think it should be noted that in Canada, downloading music IS legal, but uploading music is illegal. Uploading and downloading of any other copyrighted material is illegal.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 11-06-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:31 AM   #14
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post

I don't know how it works for regular d/ling though. Is it just as easy to track someone?
What do you usee?
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:34 AM   #15
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
What do you usee?
The code of conduct for MI doesn't exactly appreciate us discussing the best ways to illegally download things. As I said in my post, downloading music is legal, just as long as your downloading program doesn't require you to upload in turn. Anything aside from music is illegal here in Canada.