MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How does summer school work? CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 10-05-2010 10:05 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Tips on school work MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-19-2009 05:59 PM
Tips on school work MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-19-2009 04:59 PM

work and school?

Old 08-06-2010 at 04:30 PM   #1
MacStudent1

Liked: 1 Time

work and school?
Is going to university and working part-time too much work?
Old 08-06-2010 at 04:33 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Depends how often your shifts are and how you allocate your time.
If you stay fairly on task when you work and plan out your time, you should be able to still have a social life + extracurriculars.
The trick is studying efficiently, not necessarily a lot.
Let me explain: 50 hours of Chem doesn't nec. mean studying well, especially if you take a lot of breaks etc.
10 hours of concept review spaced over a series of days followed by some application problems etc = better

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-06-2010 at 05:19 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

My suggestion would be don't work during first term of first year. After that, it's easier. I think you need a little adjusting period when you start university.
Old 08-06-2010 at 05:39 PM   #4
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times

it depends on what kind of job you intend to work. As the above posts mention, it isnt a good idea to work during first term of first year or first year in general. That being said, there are many jobs in campus that are flexible in terms of shifts. Having a part time job could also help you develop those time management skills that is necessary to succeed in an academic or professional setting.

Make sure you arent deciding to work because you see a short term monetary benefit. Giving up a portion of ur time at school just for the $10 or 11/hr right now is not worth the possible decline in grades.
Old 08-06-2010 at 07:34 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I know many people who work part-time during the school year, and they're perfectly fine. Depending on how intense your schedule is/what program, I don't think it's a good idea to work much more than 10-15hrs/wk, though, at least during first year. When you're better at time management, then it's definitely possible to work more.
Old 08-07-2010 at 01:47 PM   #6
JosieGutierr

Liked: 0 Times

I will be working 10 hours every weekend throughout the year. If I find myself really struggling I'll ask for less hours or quit... hopefully not though, I have a good job
Old 08-07-2010 at 01:52 PM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Do they happen to put up more jobs on OSCAR through the year. Esp jobs just for second term?
Old 08-07-2010 at 02:01 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Do they happen to put up more jobs on OSCAR through the year. Esp jobs just for second term?
Every day is a new opportunity for employment through OSCAR.
Old 08-07-2010 at 03:14 PM   #9
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

too much work isn't the problem its the lack of everything else in life. I work full time 40 hours a week at a job that is an hour away and take 4 classes a semester. I still manage an A average but it consumes my entire life. A typical day is up at 10am for an 11 30 and 12 30 class, leave for work at 1 30 and not get home till 11 30pm then do school work usually till 5 or 6am. I work saturday to wednesday so even when i have a weekend I still have classes day and night.

You can survive that as long as you don't want to do anything else in life like have fun or sleep for 8 months at a time. It all depends on how much you want to work and what it is. A physically exhausting job means you will be able to work less. In highschool I worked at a gas station where I did homework for 6 hours a shift. That doesn't really count so much as working to me though. I would also not suggest working first term first year even though I did it. University is a pretty big shock if you actually do the work you are supposed too. If you can keep up with school and still hang out, watch tv ..... for 20 hours a week then get a job.
Old 08-07-2010 at 03:59 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah, having a job that's 10-15 hours during the week is usually fine. I would never suggest doing it in first year because people have enough trying to adjust to the workload difference from high school. Second year should be alright. My current job is anywhere from 8-16 hours a week so it's just a matter of managing your time.
Old 08-07-2010 at 04:49 PM   #11
Anojan

If you look at OSCAR, there are some positions that only require 5 hours per week, but very few of those.
Old 08-07-2010 at 06:23 PM   #12
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

I have a part-time job that can be extremely demanding during the school year (see signature), and I do fine If you want to work, get a job somewhere where you can interact with and make friends with the people you work with- at the Union Market or something, not as a parking attendant. If work is also part of your social life, it won't feel like work! You will have to adjust your schedule accordingly, but if you're passionate about both school and work, you will find a way to balance the two.
Old 08-07-2010 at 06:24 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Depends on your faculty.
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:14 PM   #14
mdoidge

I've previously attended university, and took 3 years off to work.. going back to school FT in September will be a big adjustment for me, but i have to work.. got bills to pay! I will be working Tues/Fri/Sat and most of my classes are evening Mon-thurs so i think i'll be able to handle it... time management is key

What do you think??