MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work Study Question! s.ma General Discussion 2 08-06-2011 12:20 PM
Work Study Program aw07 General Discussion 4 06-22-2011 03:23 PM
work study conditions Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 04-06-2011 10:29 PM
Work Study Program VoyozooT General Discussion 7 08-22-2009 04:35 PM
Work-Study nuttynatz General Discussion 18 08-16-2007 09:55 PM

Work-Study

Old 08-06-2013 at 12:55 PM   #1
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Work-Study
Ok so I'm a bit confused about how this works. I'm trying to get the approval for work-study but I have to fill out a form because I haven't applied to osap this year.
So I was wondering when the deadline to apply for approval is. And also do I need to have approval before I apply for jobs or after? There's a section on the form for the employer to fill out so I'm confused as to when I need to get the approval.
Also, even though I didn't apply for osap, I still need to get a job to be able to cover my expenses for things other than tuition. Would I get denied because of this?
Old 08-06-2013 at 01:27 PM   #2
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

From my understanding, you need to have applied for OSAP to even be considered for work-study. If you qualify for OSAP, I'm fairly certain that you are automatically approved for work-study. If you do not qualify for OSAP, you can then submit a secondary application directly with the Financial Aid office for direct approval from McMaster. In this application, you need to be able to clearly demonstrate how you are in significant financial need by the university's standards. I say "by the university's standards" because I'm pretty sure most students at McMaster are in financial need, but work-study is for students who need financial support beyond what the average students needs. This is what I was told by the Financial Aid office about 6 months ago.

*spark* says thanks to Commie42 for this post.
Old 08-06-2013 at 02:48 PM   #3
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

oh wow I wonder how much the "university's standards" are...
Is it too late to apply for osap? I've already checked and I do qualify for some money from osap.
Old 08-06-2013 at 03:10 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by *spark* View Post
oh wow I wonder how much the "university's standards" are...
Is it too late to apply for osap? I've already checked and I do qualify for some money from osap.
No clue, I am not familiar with the OSAP process. I would call the Financial Aid office to ask and confirm anyways (if they are open right now).
Old 08-06-2013 at 03:20 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by *spark* View Post
Nope, it's not! I once applied around this time but i had to like pay the school a small amount from my tuition at the beginning of the year cuz mac didn't get my osap money until like late September..

*spark* says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 08-07-2013 at 04:22 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

There's no deadline really for the workstudy application, just ASAP because jobs start accepting applications, interviewing and sending offers whenever they want, so having the form filled out and approved sooner is better. And it's definitely not late for OSAP! You just may not get the money in your account by the time you need to pay tuition

*spark* says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-07-2013 at 04:38 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

You can apply whenever the deadline is like a few weeks before your term 1 ends (to get that terms money). The deadline to have OSAP money ready for your account when school starts already passed (June29). For workstudy you need to be on OSAP. If so go to mugsi->Financial Aid->work study form. Just copy paste to word, print, sign

*spark* says thanks to Leeoku for this post.