MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I take another year of school if I wanted? pogy Academics 3 03-07-2011 05:12 AM
Summer school before 1st Year TeleKey Academics 5 06-15-2010 07:24 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
First Year Council "Working Survey" Wiki/Edit it, Open invitation! huzaifa47 Academics 0 04-27-2009 06:38 PM
Summer School, 2nd Year Commerce dhillon11 Academics 4 04-11-2009 08:32 AM

Working during school year

Old 07-07-2011 at 03:35 PM   #1
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

Working during school year
I've been offered a job (I'd rather not say where for now just because it's not 100% confirmed, but it's at a mall) which I thought would be only for the summer but the manager reminded me that I would only be hired if I could also come in after September, meaning while school is on.

The place I would be working at is an hour away from Hamilton and I'm living on campus so do you think it would be a problem commuting to work every weekend or so and back to mac WHILE managing school work? Or would it just be easier to not accept the job offer, not work during the summer and just hope to find work on campus through OSCARplus or around Hamilton?

btw how easy is it for a first year student to get a job on campus through oscar that's not fast food related? (not that I wouldn't work in that field since a job is a job, but I've already worked fast food so I want a new experience if possible)

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2011 at 03:51 PM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Just quit your job and live with the consequences.
Old 07-07-2011 at 05:51 PM   #3
m.ls

Liked: 0 Times

How difficult is the commute? If you are driving or taking the GO Train, it might not be worth the money to get to and from school to work for a couple of hours on the weekend. You also need to make sure that it would only be weekend work, as some places require you to work weekdays regardless of your circumstances. It might be easier to try and find work locally, at least schedule-wise.
Old 07-07-2011 at 05:53 PM   #4
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

What program are you in?
Unless you really need the job to make ends meet, I'd advise no.
Old 07-07-2011 at 06:47 PM   #5
The Guardian

Liked: 3 Times

We'll need a tad more info. What's your program, did you hold a job while you were studying and if so what was that like, how many hours are you thinking of taking in a week...so on so forth. Also, just keep in mind that if you're interested in second year programs that are competitive and have limited seats, that's something to take in too.
Old 07-07-2011 at 09:38 PM   #6
wanna b eng.

Liked: 1 Time

I agree with eternal fire. Just accept the job then leave once the school starts up, the worst that can happen is that you can't put them on your resume.
Old 07-07-2011 at 09:39 PM   #7
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

I had a part time job last year. Around 6 hours a week on Sat. Mind you I live in Hamilton. If you have to commute from res to your job I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 07-08-2011 at 12:00 AM   #8
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Based on what you've described, i'd say dont do it.
Simply because the commute you're describing negates any positive effects of this job.
Its just not worth it.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-08-2011 at 12:15 AM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Say you are planning to stay on board once school commences. Get your full time job for the summer, make some money, quit when school starts, don't put it on your resume, and find a part time job closer.

I had a one hour commute each way last year for the entire summer, and it pissed me the **** off. Do you think you'll want to commute every weekend after a long week of school, especially when you're not in the habit? Probably not.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 07-08-2011 at 12:28 AM   #10
Christ

@cliu91: I'm a first year student in the life sciences program

@TheGuardian: I've never had a job during school so I have no clue what it'll be like, I'm hoping to work whatever hours they offer for the summer and I definitely don't think I will keep the job for second year anyways so I don't think it matters so much, or maybe it does? Not sure..

@wanna b eng and @lawleypop: Knowing the type of person I am and the way the manager scared the shit out of me while warning me about quitting later on, I'll be too afraid to quit later :(

I noticed the lack of information I've given lol sorry. The job is VERY VERY part time as in I'll probably only receive minimum wage, I'll only have a couple shifts now but when school starts and previous employees start quitting, I'll probably get MORE shifts (which will make it harder to quit) and commuting = GO Train from Hamilton to the job and back :(

Sorry for sounding needy but can someone answer the question about 1st years and finding jobs if you have almost no other work experience? Thank you!
Old 07-08-2011 at 12:42 AM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
@cliu91: I'm a first year student in the life sciences program

@TheGuardian: I've never had a job during school so I have no clue what it'll be like, I'm hoping to work whatever hours they offer for the summer and I definitely don't think I will keep the job for second year anyways so I don't think it matters so much, or maybe it does? Not sure..

@wanna b eng and @lawleypop: Knowing the type of person I am and the way the manager scared the shit out of me while warning me about quitting later on, I'll be too afraid to quit later :(

I noticed the lack of information I've given lol sorry. The job is VERY VERY part time as in I'll probably only receive minimum wage, I'll only have a couple shifts now but when school starts and previous employees start quitting, I'll probably get MORE shifts (which will make it harder to quit) and commuting = GO Train from Hamilton to the job and back :(

Sorry for sounding needy but can someone answer the question about 1st years and finding jobs if you have almost no other work experience? Thank you!
What you have to realize is that if you got a job at a mall, then there is a VERY high probability that they "don't offer full time hours unless you're a manager." Most mall positions, whether it be food, American Eagle, the Disney store, only offer part time hours to non-senior positions.

The odds of you getting significantly more hours is probably highly unlikely.

The type of person you are, you have to change. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. You need to grow a backbone. The fact is, even if you work that part time job for a year, the only "reference" you'll get out of that is a phone number and a confirmation that yes, you did in fact work there.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother if it's not full time for the summer. Summer work is to make shit tons of money 'cause most people don't work during the school year.

And if a manager at a MALL scared you, you're in for a reality check... She "scared" you because it's a bloody hassle hiring new people, she's only looking out for herself.

Screw the manager; think about your needs.

If you don't take this position and quit when September comes, somebody else will. Simple as that.

Old 07-08-2011 at 12:43 AM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Like others have said, I don't suggest commuting during the school year for part time work. You can accept the job now and quit later, that's your decision. But an hour commute is a long time. I would only work part time during the school year if it was on campus or within walking distance.

On campus jobs are generally made to give students experience, so I think they would be open to hiring you even if you don't have much working experience. In the meantime, try to find some local volunteer experience. You can still build up your resume without having a paid job
Old 07-08-2011 at 01:03 AM   #13
Christ

@lawleypop thank you for the honest response/reality check I appreciate it

I think I've decided to take the job if I'm given the chance, quit when school starts and hopefully find a part time job on campus b/c I agree with everyone that has mentioned that commuting will be a pain in the ass. Thanks!

lawleypop likes this.
Old 07-08-2011 at 01:20 AM   #14
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

An hour commute to work a part time job is definitely not worth it. It'll piss you off when you have to leave campus to make $10 a hour. I have a part time job now, and I work about 12 hours a week, and honestly I dread having that many hours during the school year. There's too much to do and you usually end up doing a lot of work on the weekend if you fall behind, which you most likely will. Even working those 12 hours cuts into the time I could be studying or completing assignments/projects/presentations....etc
Old 07-08-2011 at 02:54 AM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

More advice:

This is your first job, correct? If you plan on quitting like that, do not tell anybody EVER no matter how "close" you think you get to your co-workers.

Boys, girls, and especially the middle-aged crabby menopausal women LOVE to gossip, especially in minimum wage positions. These people are miserable and will get off on making you miserable too.

Don't give anybody a reason to talk about you. Mind your ps and qs, get in and get your work done and leave.

My last summer iob, this 17 year old ginger spread the rumor that I had sex in the basement of the grocery store we were working at. When I reported it, he had a "talking to" by his mother (HR person). She then proceeded to make my life a ****ing hellhole. Needless to say I quit that. No amount of money is worth that garbage.

I'm not trying to scare you, but odds are you'll hate your first job and every subsequent job until you get a real one.

And even then people still love to gossip.

Christ likes this.