My Learnlink isn't working! HELP pat2010 Academics 4 03-31-2010 12:02 AM
Key Card Not Working! robots Les Prince Forum 4 03-01-2010 05:11 PM
OSAP and Working at McMaster Chimmy General Discussion 4 07-30-2009 09:43 AM

Working at McMaster

Old 07-31-2008 at 06:08 AM   #31
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I recommend that you utilize Career Services services. We have resume critiques, interview prep and a ton of other things! I don't know how much experience you have with the job search. I've had a ton of jobs and even I'm constantly asking for help to improve my interviewing skills and my resume. It's good to always be able one up someone in an interview setting if you know you're slightly weaker in another aspect. So, yes, you can use your extra curricular activities will help you land a job but getting a job is not going to be easy.

For every interview I've ever done, I've landed a job. But for every interview I've done I've prepared for it for a long time to ensure I get the position. Selling yourself is key
Old 07-31-2008 at 10:35 PM   #32
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

From what i know, work-study positions should be up tomorrow *fingers crossed*
Old 08-01-2008
nikki12
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-01-2008 at 01:13 AM   #33
nikki12

Liked: 0 Times

Hi
I do not qualify for the work study option as I am not on OSAP.Does that mean I cant apply for it ?I am an international student.Can I still apply the oncampus jobs even though I am not on OSAP?
Old 08-01-2008 at 08:17 AM   #34
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki12 View Post
I do not qualify for the work study option as I am not on OSAP.Does that mean I cant apply for it ?I am an international student.Can I still apply the oncampus jobs even though I am not on OSAP?
Just because you're not on OSAP doesn't mean you do not qualify for McWork program, you should still apply especially seeing as your an international student.

Even if you do not get the McWork program you can still get oncampus jobs, not all of them are set aside for McWork because that would be unfair to everyone who doesn't qualify. When you apply for a job on OSCAR it will tell you whether or not you need to qualify for McWork.

Also, if you find that you're having a hard time finding a job, hit up Career Services in Gilmour Hall, they will help you.

nikki12 says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 08-01-2008 at 01:20 PM   #35
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki12 View Post
hey. if you are an international student you can probably be eligible for the International Students' Work Program .

check this website out. http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html#internation al

speak with financial aid people for more information since it is listed under the financial aid office. if not, try contacting career services too. good luck
Old 08-01-2008 at 08:32 PM   #36
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Thanks for the information guys, I'll definitely use the resources available to me. =)
Is OSCAR open today? I tried to access it but to no avail. (Said my MACID was incorrect.)
Old 08-01-2008 at 08:36 PM   #37
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yup it was up and working today.

You'll need to wait until Monday to contact UTS to get your Mac ID up and running, but you should do it sooner rather than later, as its likely that lots of people will have issues come september

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-01-2008 at 08:41 PM   #38
amplified

it was definitely not open to me today.
I dont know about anyone else.
the only thing that was available to me today is the work-study application form through mugsi.
Old 08-01-2008 at 10:05 PM   #39
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

I thought this might be worth mentioning:

Please note: All first year students will have access to OSCAR by Wednesday, August 6, 2008.

I found it on the McMaster Careers Site (careers.mcmaster.ca)

feonateresa, kokosas all say thanks to KaylaMarie for this post.
Old 08-01-2008 at 11:09 PM   #40
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Way to be on the ball KaylaMarie!

Old 08-02-2008 at 01:14 PM   #41
amplified

That's all I needed.
A date or estimate as to when it will be up.
Rather than being told "soon enough!"

Now I'm content and my rage is diminishing.
Old 08-02-2008 at 01:31 PM   #42
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yay diminishing!

Although I'm getting a mental image from The Simpsons...when Homer went homicidal in the mountain resort...The parody of The Shining.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-02-2008 at 07:51 PM   #43
hotjj

do interviews usually take place in august or september? cause i'll be away in aug... i noticed some of the start dates are quite early (i.e. sept 8)
Old 08-02-2008 at 08:11 PM   #44
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

it depends on each company. and we have no way of knowing that...

we're good. but not that good.

Last edited by lorend : 08-02-2008 at 08:17 PM.