MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
res internet macbaby07 General Discussion 22 01-19-2011 09:27 AM
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
Internet Cap Allan Residence & Housing 28 11-22-2008 05:03 PM
Internet in Res Ruggedman Residence & Housing 40 09-25-2008 11:45 PM

A World without Internet

Old 03-29-2011 at 10:35 PM   #1
Noodle

Liked: 19 Times

A World without Internet
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, I wish that I could have grown up in a time when the internet wasn't a part of our daily lives. Sounds extremely crazy for what it has given us, and don't get me wrong I love the great things it has done for us.

I just feel like this new technology is skewing my outlook on life, which is entirely my fault for using it as much as I do. I hear stories from profs and my parents about how lucky we are, and it makes me want to try to appreciate the internet more, but I just take it for granted.

So what I'm really saying is, what would the world be like without the internet? Would you want to experience a world without internet for a year?
Old 03-29-2011 at 10:40 PM   #2
lakhim

Liked: 17 Times

definitely. i wouldn't give up the internet now that i have it but i'd like to experience a world without it. for a short period of time atleast. who knows, maybe having done that i won't be so reluctant to give it up. imagine how much you'd have to work to find information. you wouldn't be able to know everything and anything anytime you wanted.
Old 03-29-2011 at 10:45 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I see an under representation of pr0n... your map isn't to scale.

BlakeM, Mikob11 like this.
Old 03-29-2011 at 10:54 PM   #4
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

you're not alone pal. about 7 years ago, in my home country, there was only dial-up internet and life was totally different.all you could see a kid with was a soccer ball or something similar. then broadband internet came crashing, and for the time i went to visit last year, 11 year olds were either on facebook or texting. for as much benefits internet might bring, i do miss the way it was before, specially because everything gets overused and misused to an extreme point.
Old 03-29-2011 at 10:55 PM   #5
Noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I see an under representation of pr0n... your map isn't to scale.
Its like the Lord of the Rings Middle Earth map, it doesn't show all of the world. Pr0n probably makes up the rest of the internet world.
Old 03-29-2011 at 10:56 PM   #6
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

EDIT: I guess I could answer this question seriously.

Personally, I'd love to go without Internet for a year. However, that's not feasible right now - as students, we directly rely on the Internet for information.

It's done a lot of good (e.g., information is available to us with relative ease, communication, creative outlet, entertainment, etc.), but it's also provided a lot of shitty things ( privacy concerns, bad people on the Internet doing some awful things, etc.).

It'd definitely be challenging to live without it. Not being able to Google things would force me to put a lot more effort into finding information.

Last edited by alh24 : 03-29-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2011 at 10:57 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
Its like the Lord of the Rings Middle Earth map, it doesn't show all of the world. Pr0n probably makes up the rest of the internet world.
Yeah, and those are all social activities, haha, guess that doesn't fit with what the map represents
Old 03-29-2011
4chanrules
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-29-2011 at 11:01 PM   #8
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

How is pr0n a social activity? Actually, don't answer that please.
Old 03-29-2011 at 11:26 PM   #9
Mikob11
Account Locked

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, I wish that I could have grown up in a time when the internet wasn't a part of our daily lives. Sounds extremely crazy for what it has given us, and don't get me wrong I love the great things it has done for us.

I just feel like this new technology is skewing my outlook on life, which is entirely my fault for using it as much as I do. I hear stories from profs and my parents about how lucky we are, and it makes me want to try to appreciate the internet more, but I just take it for granted.

So what I'm really saying is, what would the world be like without the internet? Would you want to experience a world without internet for a year?
Old 03-29-2011 at 11:53 PM   #10
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

NO. It is, for most of the year, the only way I can stay in contact with my boyfriend.

Otherwise though, I would actually love that. Really though..when I'm not in school (aka the summer) I'm hardly online. It's really just a procrastination tool. Which has always made me wonder..how did students procrastinate before the internet? Maybe that's where the image of university kids binge drinking every night comes from..they had more time for that stuff cause they weren't pissing their time away online...

Old 03-30-2011 at 12:00 AM   #11
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I don't think my family got internet at home until I was 10/11 so I still remember a world w/o internet...
Old 03-30-2011 at 12:11 AM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Me too, I wonder how it would actually be like now, if only for a short time period. Way back when Saudi Arabia was a little behind on technology before I came to Canada. So internet connections were horrible and computers were mainly for using programs offline. I was like 10 or 11 so I still remember it. It shocks me how I even survived through elementary school without the internet and now my siblings use nothing but the internet for school -___-
Old 03-30-2011 at 12:14 AM   #13
lilkarina

Liked: 8 Times

Yeah I don't think my house had Internet til I was about 13 but even then I didn't use it all that much. Partly because facebook and all these other procrastinating sites weren't around, I was involved in quite a few extra-curricular activities and I had to share our one computer with my siblings and my parents. It's seems like nowadays people have more than one computer at home and in some families kids have their own computers/laptops/iPods so they can more easily waste all their time online.

It would be interesting to go a week or even a month without Internet but taking that it has become so engrained in our daily lives it would be really hard to do. Not to mention most course materials are only available online...but I wouldn't mind giving up mugsi and solar cause it seems like they haven't been updated since dial-up.
Old 03-30-2011 at 12:18 AM   #14
Noodle

One of the weirdest things I've seen recently is this one scene in Goldfinger. In this scene Bond asks for directions on how to get to the girl's house, and if I remember correctly he writes it down in a little pad of paper. Sounds sorta stupid to say out loud, but that is peculiar in this day and age lol