MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last day to drop/cancel a course? MissLissaBee Academics 3 02-12-2014 06:55 PM
Add/ Cancel Courses Ever Academics 10 11-05-2012 09:01 AM
Cancel all term 1 courses Thinker Academics 3 10-22-2012 04:09 PM
is there any ways to cancel an course which u already fail? cmhtbx Academics 8 05-03-2011 04:49 PM
Last day to cancel a course Reda General Discussion 5 10-26-2010 07:42 PM

When is it worth it to cancel a course?

Old 11-04-2014 at 07:23 PM   #1
JamesK

Liked: 2 Times

When is it worth it to cancel a course?
Hey, i'm currently in a program with a mandatory 1st year physics course, and as i had expected going in, i'm doing quite poor in the course. i have high marks in my other courses so this is a bit of a bummer. i'm just curious if it's worth dropping a course until summer if i now need to get 60% on the exam just to pass? i'm willing to put my head down and try my best to achieve that mark, but going off my midterms things don't look too great, even doing the work i still struggle to analyze the physics questions.

thanks.
Old 11-04-2014 at 08:20 PM   #2
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

it depends on your long term goals and how a bad grade would affect it. that being said, if you need 60% on an exam to pass, having a 1 on your transcript is not going to do you any favours plus it might affect your performance in other courses if you're focused on the one you're failing. you can always pick up an extra course next semester if you're worried about staying at 30 units. also look into the requirements of the 2nd year programs you want as some may not require physics.

JamesK likes this.
Old 11-05-2014 at 12:56 AM   #3
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

If you were to think about your average, the amount of work you need to do to counteract that 1 grade is going to make you cry...
Old 11-05-2014 at 09:04 PM   #4
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

grades over everything
Old 11-05-2014 at 09:30 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Seriously take a look at programs you may want to do after undergrad. Some of them DO care. Some only care if it's a course that is a prerequisite for the program you're applying to. Some of them don't care at all.

Chances are if you're going to be working after undergrad then it doesn't matter too much. It would be hard to research that, though.

JamesK likes this.
Old 11-12-2014 at 08:20 PM   #6
JamesK

Liked: 2 Times

i'm not sure what i'm doing after undergrad, but i only have one physics course in the entire program, so i'd hope if my only black mark is this course i might be fine.
Old 11-22-2014 at 08:42 AM   #7
Marlon

Liked: 0 Times

dropping the class might hurt you, since you say its mandatory, and obviously you arent that into physics, you probably won't have more succes next time around. It would just slow you down if you drop it and you have the same problem next year.