MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduation Photos MLSA29 General Discussion 7 12-04-2009 10:16 AM
Graduation Katia General Discussion 21 10-25-2009 02:21 PM
Graduation deeO Academics 14 07-21-2009 05:26 PM
Graduation Photos + Marmor - What Do I Do? temara.brown ARCHIVES 9 11-09-2008 07:17 PM
Graduation Month in 2011 Goce Academics 4 09-30-2008 11:33 AM

Is it wrong to collect EI just after graduation?

Old 11-09-2009 at 12:13 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Is it wrong to collect EI just after graduation?
I'm graduating this year and I'm very scared about finding a job. I'm worried I might be underqualified for the "good" jobs (ie. working for the government), and I've heard you can be overqualified for the "bad" jobs (ie. my friend with a Masters was rejected by KFC because she had too much experience)

My question is: is it wrong to collect Employment Insurance just after you graduate? I've heard some people talking about this and I'm not sure if this is an "acceptable" thing to do or not.

I would be searching like crazy for a job, of course. I'm just so worried about how I will pay rent, groceries, etc.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2009 at 12:16 PM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I guess it depends on how much you care for other people, although I think you'd probably have to be a saint to refuse EI if you're desperate.
Old 11-09-2009 at 12:16 PM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'm graduating this year and I'm very scared about finding a job. I'm worried I might be underqualified for the "good" jobs (ie. working for the government), and I've heard you can be overqualified for the "bad" jobs (ie. my friend with a Masters was rejected by KFC because she had too much experience)

My question is: is it wrong to collect Employment Insurance just after you graduate? I've heard some people talking about this and I'm not sure if this is an "acceptable" thing to do or not.

I would be searching like crazy for a job, of course. I'm just so worried about how I will pay rent, groceries, etc.

Thanks!
I don't think it would be wrong... if you're entitled to it, then go for it (if you really need it). The only problem is that you might not qualify, since you need to have worked a certain number of hours at a previous job to qualify. Not sure what the number is though (usually a few hundred).
Old 11-09-2009 at 12:41 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

I checked all that stuff and it looks like I qualify.

I just feel bad because there are people who probably need it more than I do..
Old 11-09-2009 at 01:00 PM   #5
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
I checked all that stuff and it looks like I qualify.

I just feel bad because there are people who probably need it more than I do..
Why don't you use as much as you need and give the rest to charity?
Old 11-09-2009 at 01:02 PM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
That's still taking money from the system, which could go to people who are unemployed and need it.

EI isn't meant to go to charity, it's meant to help Canadians who are unemployed and looking for work.

jo87, veerman like this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 01:02 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Well I mean, do all you can now to ensure that you have good chances of getting a job when you graduate. Talk to career services, look for opportunities for internships or volunteering in your field, and maybe talk to your classmates and see what their plans are. If after all that, you can't find a job after you graduate, and you really need to work (which most of us do because we're saddled with loans), then go for EI.

But yes, there are people who need it more than you do - like people who don't have university degrees and are struggling to make it in a world where multiple degrees is the minimum.
Old 11-09-2009 at 01:14 PM   #8
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

EI isn't handed out. You need to qualify by working a certain amount in the past 6 months which is compared to the unemployment rate in the area which is compared to your wage rate to determine how much you receive and for how long you shall receive it.

http://www.employment-insurance.info/index.php
Old 11-09-2009 at 02:17 PM   #9
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

isn't it 700 hours of work to qualify? if you just graduated you might not have that...
Old 11-09-2009 at 03:02 PM   #10
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:

Thanks!

I know so many people that have graduated and haven't found jobs who are on EI. Its reality right now. And while you are on EI focus all your time on finding a job where you can apply your degree! Don't waste your time at KFC. Employers won't look at that. Spend time volunteering(really good option so your resume doesn't have gaps) and looking for a good job. Just don't feel bad about it, you paid into EI with your own money incase you need it!
Old 11-09-2009 at 03:04 PM   #11
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post

EI usually doesn't hand out enough money for people to give to charity:S and a better option would be to volunteer while on EI.
Old 11-09-2009 at 03:47 PM   #12
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

EI is support for people who need help. If you arent near starving/homeless you should feel bad applying for it. Just because other people abuse the system is no reason for you to do it. It is not "do I qualify?", it should be "do I need this assistance".

As far as the KFC thing and not getting a job ... Lie. Everyone lies on job resumes, your lie will just help balance things out. If you have a masters ... dont tell them that. My complete resume makes me look like gold, but if I am applying to be a turd polisher then they dont want gold.

Supposedly qualified people leave shitty jobs as soon as they find better ones. Places like KFC dont want to train you so you can just leave. It is the dumbest hiring policy ever because I am a hard working person, smart enough and moderately innovative, so my contribution to polishing turds would be great. Unfortunately they would rather hire an idiot over me. Some places also see qualified people as a threat. They think you are just trying to move up and take their job.

Remember the person doing the hiring is a big stupid, emotional, irrational baby. Dont be honest, tell them shit they want to hear, and in no time you will be polishing that turd.

And one last thing, the military is always hiring, and they have a great need for Officers right now. <forces.ca> , the recruiting office is downtown, nice snazzy place, one building west of the jackson square mall, facing copps colluseum. There is more to do in the canadian forces then be in the infantry.

ViktorVaughn likes this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 05:44 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Well I mean, do all you can now to ensure that you have good chances of getting a job when you graduate. Talk to career services, look for opportunities for internships or volunteering in your field, and maybe talk to your classmates and see what their plans are. If after all that, you can't find a job after you graduate, and you really need to work (which most of us do because we're saddled with loans), then go for EI.

But yes, there are people who need it more than you do - like people who don't have university degrees and are struggling to make it in a world where multiple degrees is the minimum.
I practically live in Career Services, haha. I've been actively searching for a job since September. I check tons of job posting sites every other day, and I'm looking everywhere I can. Searching for the job isn't my problem, because I've been doing it nonstop for months. There's just so little out there right now.. I have some money saved up as well, but it won't last me too long.

As for qualifying, I definately do. I need to have worked 525 hours within the previous 52 weeks from when I apply for EI, and I'll have worked much more than that.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-09-2009 at 05:46 PM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
EI is support for people who need help. If you arent near starving/homeless you should feel bad applying for it. Just because other people abuse the system is no reason for you to do it. It is not "do I qualify?", it should be "do I need this assistance".

As far as the KFC thing and not getting a job ... Lie. Everyone lies on job resumes, your lie will just help balance things out. If you have a masters ... dont tell them that. My complete resume makes me look like gold, but if I am applying to be a turd polisher then they dont want gold.

Supposedly qualified people leave shitty jobs as soon as they find better ones. Places like KFC dont want to train you so you can just leave. It is the dumbest hiring policy ever because I am a hard working person, smart enough and moderately innovative, so my contribution to polishing turds would be great. Unfortunately they would rather hire an idiot over me. Some places also see qualified people as a threat. They think you are just trying to move up and take their job.

Remember the person doing the hiring is a big stupid, emotional, irrational baby. Dont be honest, tell them shit they want to hear, and in no time you will be polishing that turd.

And one last thing, the military is always hiring, and they have a great need for Officers right now. <forces.ca> , the recruiting office is downtown, nice snazzy place, one building west of the jackson square mall, facing copps colluseum. There is more to do in the canadian forces then be in the infantry.
There is a minimum of two years for almost every job in the Armed Forces (if not ALL jobs in the Armed Forces). I don't think it'd be a good idea to committ myself for 2 years to a job that isn't related to my degree. I've checked and there's nothing open for me.
Old 11-09-2009 at 07:32 PM   #15
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
There is a minimum of two years for almost every job in the Armed Forces (if not ALL jobs in the Armed Forces). I don't think it'd be a good idea to committ myself for 2 years to a job that isn't related to my degree. I've checked and there's nothing open for me.
According to the website, its 5 years. At least for officers.

As far as EI goes, if you qualify for it, graduate, and can't find a job, do it. you only qualify if you've contributed, so it's not like you're leeching anything.

Taunton, ytpos like this.