MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduation Photos MLSA29 General Discussion 7 12-04-2009 10:16 AM
Graduation Katia General Discussion 21 10-25-2009 02:21 PM
Graduation deeO Academics 14 07-21-2009 05:26 PM
Graduation Photos + Marmor - What Do I Do? temara.brown ARCHIVES 9 11-09-2008 07:17 PM
Graduation Month in 2011 Goce Academics 4 09-30-2008 11:33 AM

Is it wrong to collect EI just after graduation?

Old 11-09-2009 at 09:04 PM   #16
Nosferatu

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I practically live in Career Services, haha. I've been actively searching for a job since September. I check tons of job posting sites every other day, and I'm looking everywhere I can. Searching for the job isn't my problem, because I've been doing it nonstop for months. There's just so little out there right now.. I have some money saved up as well, but it won't last me too long.

As for qualifying, I definately do. I need to have worked 525 hours within the previous 52 weeks from when I apply for EI, and I'll have worked much more than that.

Thanks for the help guys.
Just make sure you are not considered a new entrant or a re-entrant to the workforce. The requirement for a new entrant or a re-entrant to the workforce will be 910 hours. The benefits will be 55% of your average insured earnings, up to a maximum of $413 per week
Old 11-09-2009 at 09:28 PM   #17
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Just make sure you are not considered a new entrant or a re-entrant to the workforce. The requirement for a new entrant or a re-entrant to the workforce will be 910 hours. The benefits will be 55% of your average insured earnings, up to a maximum of $413 per week
Hmm, I can't seem to find that anywhere on the website. Do you know what a "new entrant" is?
Old 11-09-2009 at 09:29 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
As far as the KFC thing and not getting a job ... Lie. Everyone lies on job resumes, your lie will just help balance things out. If you have a masters ... dont tell them that. My complete resume makes me look like gold, but if I am applying to be a turd polisher then they dont want gold.

Supposedly qualified people leave shitty jobs as soon as they find better ones. Places like KFC dont want to train you so you can just leave. It is the dumbest hiring policy ever because I am a hard working person, smart enough and moderately innovative, so my contribution to polishing turds would be great. Unfortunately they would rather hire an idiot over me. Some places also see qualified people as a threat. They think you are just trying to move up and take their job.

Remember the person doing the hiring is a big stupid, emotional, irrational baby. Dont be honest, tell them shit they want to hear, and in no time you will be polishing that turd.
This is the worst advice and probably the worst post I've read on here.

What a gross generalization about people who work at and doing the hiring for fast food joints or other "crappy" jobs. I work at a minimum wage grunt job at a fast food place now and I wouldn't classify the person doing the hiring as a "big stupid, emotional, irrational baby" at all, it was a higher up in the organization who was none of the things you mentioned. Also the store staff consists of mostly students, many at post-secondary level education and the manager is not threatened by them, or the fact that they're likely to leave after completing their education. He cares that they're available and do the job well.

Lying on your resume is probably the worst advice you could ever give someone looking for a job.

Taunton says thanks to sew12 for this post.

Maegs, Taunton like this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 09:35 PM   #19
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

What a gross generalization about people who work at and doing the hiring for fast food joints or other "crappy" jobs. I work at a minimum wage grunt job at a fast food place now and I wouldn't classify the person doing the hiring as a "big stupid, emotional, irrational baby" at all, it was a higher up in the organization who was none of the things you mentioned. Also the store staff consists of mostly students, many at post-secondary level education and the manager is not threatened by them, or the fact that they're likely to leave after completing their education. He cares that they're available and do the job well.

Lying on your resume is probably the worst advice you could ever give someone looking for a job.
Quoted for truth!

I work at McDonald's (have been for almost 5 years funding my education) and I have to fully agree with everything Sew has said.

The people who work at my restaurant are quite intelligent and capable people.
Old 11-09-2009 at 10:09 PM   #20
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

When I said lying on your resume I was talking about omitting things.

It is refreshing to hear that your fast food experience has been a positive one, but from my life experience I have seen the opposing side. I've had the displeasure of having to assist in the hiring process several times . Between people making things up on their resume (setting up chairs once turns into "Director of Equipment and Processes"), and employers looking for anything to reject a resume over(HIDEOUSLY trivial things), it has shown me that there are a lot of bad people in charge of hiring.

It is also nice to see that someone besides me likes Merlin.
Old 11-09-2009 at 10:57 PM   #21
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

I agree. I would never want to lie on my resume. Besides, I wouldn't even be able to. I can't omit my university education because all of my extra curriculars are related to McMaster. I think they'd be suspicious of why I'm in so many Mac clubs but I don't attend the school.
Old 11-10-2009 at 12:22 PM   #22
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

There's nothing wrong with getting EI. Especially since you've worked hard in school, graduated. That counts for somthing. I know a few people who have Masters and couldn't find a job for 6 months to a year and they went on EI. It's there for you, so why not use it when you really need it?

Don't feel bad. I know a couple of people who lie to the gov't and get disability, for MANY MANY YEARS. They're on disability, meaning they "can't work" yet they can go out partying, drinking, etc. They're clearly not disabled at all. They're more than able to work, yet they take us spaces in co-op housing paying $100/month in rent, when there are honest, hard-working families/seniors/young people who really need those apartments, and those benefits.

Your using it because you NEED it. Your not abusing it, & that's exactly why it's here for us. The gov't should really crack down on those abusing the system IMO.

Good luck, and i'm sure you'll be fine you've worked hard.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 02:41 PM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Quoted for truth!

I work at McDonald's (have been for almost 5 years funding my education) and I have to fully agree with everything Sew has said.

The people who work at my restaurant are quite intelligent and capable people.
._. Lucky.

I've worked at Tims for around 2-ish years then I worked at Walmart... And these people were at the bottom of the ****ing food chain. Just absolutely the dumbest people I've ever met. And trivial and just.. god I can't even find words.

Exactly the type of people that are a waste of a life. ._.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-10-2009 at 02:43 PM   #24
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
._. Lucky.

I've worked at Tims for around 2-ish years then I worked at Walmart... And these people were at the bottom of the ****ing food chain. Just absolutely the dumbest people I've ever met. And trivial and just.. god I can't even find words.

It's probably because we're so close to Mac, and I work with a lot of students... just a thought though... can't really say for sure.
Old 11-10-2009 at 02:45 PM   #25
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
It's probably because we're so close to Mac, and I work with a lot of students... just a thought though... can't really say for sure.
Ya, probably.
I'm from Bowmanville and worked near Porthope and Oshawa. Definitely a bunch of losers in those areas.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-10-2009 at 09:33 PM   #26
Nosferatu

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Hmm, I can't seem to find that anywhere on the website. Do you know what a "new entrant" is?
http://www.servicecanada.gc. ca/eng...1_1.shtml# a8

Qualification requirement for new entrants and re-entrants
(3) An insured person who is a new entrant or a re-entrant to the labour force qualifies if the person
  1. has had an interruption of earnings from employment; and
  2. has had 910 or more hours of insurable employment in their qualifying period.
New entrants and re-entrants
(4) An insured person is a new entrant or a re-entrant to the labour force if, in the last 52 weeks before their qualifying period, the person has had fewer than 490
  1. hours of insurable employment;
  2. hours for which benefits have been paid or were payable to the person, calculated on the basis of 35 hours for each week of benefits;
  3. prescribed hours that relate to employment in the labour force; or
  4. hours comprised of any combination of those hours.
Old 11-11-2009 at 09:04 PM   #27
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
EI is support for people who need help. If you arent near starving/homeless you should feel bad applying for it. Just because other people abuse the system is no reason for you to do it. It is not "do I qualify?", it should be "do I need this assistance". .
This is a ridiculous statement in my opinion... by working they have been paying into EI, after graduating this person may not have a job, but still need to pay bills.... while looking for a job...why should they feel bad for using a service for what its MEANT for...and for which they have been contributing to everytime they've gotten a paycheque from a past job?!
Old 11-11-2009 at 09:32 PM   #28
Kathy2
Elite Member

Oops, I didn't even see that part of Rossclot's post.

This thread is obviously about "Do I need it (enough to use it)?" and NOT about "Do I qualify?".

I know I qualify.

I just have no idea who is actually meant to use EI, so I wanted others' opinions on whether or not it was meant for newly graduated students.

And to be fair, I probably won't have a job and I will end up starving a few weeks after graduation.
Old 11-11-2009 at 09:36 PM   #29
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
._. Lucky.

I worked at Wal-Mart this summer in Sept-Iles; they told me and my boyfriend on our last day "Stay in school, or you might end up back here." XD

lawleypop, Maegs like this.
Old 11-11-2009 at 09:43 PM   #30
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
EI is support for people who need help. If you arent near starving/homeless you should feel bad applying for it. .
and this is not true either, EI is exactly to support people between jobs... just to get by while looking for another job...
If you are at the point of homelessness or starving, you could also look at social assistance, not just EI... social assistance helps keep people in housing and assists in finding jobs... just like EI does