Internet in Res Ruggedman Residence & Housing 40 09-25-2008 11:45 PM

WTF is up with Mac Internet?!

Old 02-09-2012 at 03:55 PM   #1
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

WTF is up with Mac Internet?!
Seriously!

Less than dial up speeds at Thode. Often not even connecting to the website. Are we paying for this quality of internet? Can't even access McMaster websites.

I mean, I know congestion but WTF is this. This is like a whole other level! Get your shit together whoever's responsible >_<

I can't study like this! >_<

BlueWave says thanks to Afzal for this post.

Old 02-09-2012 at 04:15 PM   #2
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Seriously!

Less than dial up speeds at Thode. Often not even connecting to the website. Are we paying for this quality of internet? Can't even access McMaster websites.

I mean, I know congestion but WTF is this. This is like a whole other level! Get your shit together whoever's responsible >_<

I can't study like this! >_<
If only Mukhtar Galan won...things could have changed...

Old 02-09-2012 at 04:18 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Welcome to mcmaster: where all technology services suck.
The horrible wifi is mostly due to the renovated second floor and influx of additional students this year, all without upgrading the infrastructure.
Some options:
1) Use good old mac-connect. With so many people autologging into macsecure, most people seem to have forgotten about the old...yet independent..system
2) thodes basement...which is empty...has a separate and fast connection so a good option is to just move down there.

Its disappointing how poor mac's technology services are overall. Internet is a basic need for students....

BlueWave, resh.jyoti all say thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 02-09-2012 at 06:14 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Using a router hooked up via Ethernet in some places on campus doesn't seem to be making much of a difference sometimes. Other times with that setup, the hardwired computer can load up fine but my Mac cannot connect to the router the desktop is hardwired to. I think the problem is bigger than just MacConnect + WiFi

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 02-09-2012 at 06:20 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Today is the first I've noticed it slow. If I tether my phone to any campus computer it becomes faster... lol

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 02-09-2012 at 06:59 PM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Today is the first I've noticed it slow. If I tether my phone to any campus computer it becomes faster... lol
same, except wind doesn't get good signal in thode

jon.john23, MacPack like this.
Old 02-09-2012 at 07:29 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
same, except wind doesn't get good signal in thode
Where in Thode?
Old 02-09-2012 at 07:34 PM   #8
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

since we're on the topic of internet, I'd just like to comment on how the scisociety introduced a referendum last year to add $15 to our faculty fees, which was supposed to pay for the academic science fund and INTERNET IN ALL OF BSB.

and yet here we are, 75% of bsb is still internet-less, and I haven't heard any news about the academic science fund since the beginning of the year. >__>

Last edited by anon491 : 02-09-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Afzal says thanks to anon491 for this post.

Snowman likes this.
Old 02-09-2012 at 08:18 PM   #9
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Go sit somewhere else, there are plenty of places on Campus where I get amazing speeds. Upwards of 1MB/s.
Old 02-09-2012 at 10:14 PM   #10
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Go sit somewhere else, there are plenty of places on Campus where I get amazing speeds. Upwards of 1MB/s.
That's no excuse. Libraries should be the first place to get top notch performance, especially since everything is online. Avenue is slow in itself, couple that with 20kB/s and you have a wasted day.

I have yet to see 1MB/s (megabyte) on campus since Summer 2010.
Old 02-09-2012 at 10:27 PM   #11
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
That's no excuse. Libraries should be the first place to get top notch performance, especially since everything is online. Avenue is slow in itself, couple that with 20kB/s and you have a wasted day.

I have yet to see 1MB/s (megabyte) on campus since Summer 2010.
I am not saying it is an excuse, I am giving you another option until they get around to upgrading their tech.

I have received 1MB/s at the building between Thode and JHE (think its ABB) and also at ETB.
Old 02-09-2012 at 10:39 PM   #12
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

I totally agree with the failure of Internet. Its terrible. Disastrous. However, if any of you are wondering, you want rocket speed Internet? Screw Thode, Screw BSB, Screw ABB, Screw Everything. Just go to MDCL. The Internet is jacked with steroids there i swear.
Old 02-09-2012 at 11:02 PM   #13
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_akbari View Post
I totally agree with the failure of Internet. Its terrible. Disastrous. However, if any of you are wondering, you want rocket speed Internet? Screw Thode, Screw BSB, Screw ABB, Screw Everything. Just go to MDCL. The Internet is jacked with steroids there i swear.
I remember MDCL quite differently :/ But that was last Summer
Old 02-09-2012 at 11:04 PM   #14
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

The internet in MDCL sucks..
Old 02-09-2012 at 11:42 PM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Sorry guys, I really needed the internet so I borrowed most of it for the year. I'll bring it back when when I return in September. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

camais, RyanC, ZSimon like this.