Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
less offensive
Why?

extra characters
Old 10-13-2009 at 02:30 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

People just want to be somewhat crude without the consequences that come with full on vulgarity and rudeness.

To this I say: grow a pair!

;D Welcome to a day in the life of lawleypop. Lmao.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-13-2009 at 02:32 PM   #33
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
People just want to be somewhat crude without the consequences that come with full on vulgarity and rudeness.

To this I say: grow a pair!

;D Welcome to a day in the life of lawleypop. Lmao.
Again, I wish people would just say what they mean, and we could end censorship forever!! woo!!

but... people are too sensitive. Poor babies.
Old 10-13-2009 at 02:35 PM   #34
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Yes, the words used may be vulgar but we're all grown ups. I'm all against using vulgar language around kids but we're adults. Using vulgar language to promote pride in your university and rivalries between universities is completely fine in my opinion. As long as the words used are not offensive in a sexist or racist manner, it should be fine.
Old 10-13-2009 at 02:39 PM   #35
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Again, I wish people would just say what they mean, and we could end censorship forever!! woo!!

but... people are too sensitive. Poor babies.
Woo!

See, isn't it cool when even *we* can agree on something? ;D

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-13-2009 at 02:40 PM   #36
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

I for one agree with the original message.

Those tshirts are stupid. The "our beaks are bigger" ones are legit, because they were comical, lighthearted and witty. Wuck Festern, or **** Western just seems like something made up by some kid who is jealous that he or she didn't get into Western.

There have been far wittier things done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9rt7yRZ87E

And Fadil, I disagree with you. Resorting to petty profanities is not a proper way to go about doing things. E.G. what exactly does calling the Waterloo football team cunts achieve? It just shows a lack of class and wit.

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 10-13-2009 at 03:31 PM   #37
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Exactly - My argument is not that I am offended by the message, I just think we're better than that.

Agreed, "Our beaks are bigger", and other clever lines are much more effective, IMO. Not only does it avoid simply cursing at someone, but it makes them come up with a clever retort, not just F*** us back.

I think we can do better.
Old 10-13-2009 at 03:57 PM   #38
meerf

Liked: 7 Times

wuck festern? wuck fcmaster...? wuck fcgill? ..... seriously, it is childish

ytpos likes this.
Old 10-13-2009 at 05:11 PM   #39
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerf View Post
wuck festern? wuck fcmaster...? wuck fcgill? ..... seriously, it is childish
Great! If you don't like it, then don't support it! Don't spend your money!

Money talks.... if nobody likes it, nobody will buy it, and it won't make sense to make/sell them anymore.

If you happen to be in the minority (ie everyone else is buying/wearing the shirts), then you can still not spend your money, and you can talk all you want about how you don't like it.

micadjems: I appreciate you noting that you're not concerned about being offended. I wish people would stop playing the "that's offensive" card and I wish people would stop caring about offending others.

Last edited by Taunton : 10-13-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2009 at 05:14 PM   #40
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Great! If you don't like it, then don't support it! Don't spend your money!

Money talks.... if nobody likes it, nobody will buy it, and it won't make sense to make/sell them anymore.

If you happen to be in the minority (ie everyone else is buying/wearing the shirts), then you can still not spend your money, and you can talk all you want about how you don't like it.

micadjems: I appreciate you noting that you're not concerned about being offended. I wish people would stop playing the "that's offensive" card and I wish people would stop caring about offending others.
Hence why I called you a douchebag literally within the first 10 seconds of meeting you. LOL.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-13-2009 at 05:29 PM   #41
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
And Fadil, I disagree with you. Resorting to petty profanities is not a proper way to go about doing things. E.G. what exactly does calling the Waterloo football team cunts achieve? It just shows a lack of class and wit.
I'm not saying we should resort to profanity but if people choose to do so, then it's their choice. It definitely isn't the right way to go about doing things and you'll probably never hear me calling Waterloo cunts or anything like that. I refrain from taking part in any of those profane cheers. I'm all for the clever cheers like "Our beaks are bigger". I'm actually against the use of profanity during football games. It makes us look bad in front of alumni and the families watching the games. I guess the point I was making is the same one Ben made about censorship.

Last edited by Nino : 10-13-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2009 at 05:34 PM   #42
Taunton
Elite Member

Anyone who thinks that using profanity or other "shocking" ways of getting messages across can't be effective should read/watch Howard Stern's Private Parts.

Howard Stern makes over $100 million per year and has one of the largest fan followings of any radio personality in history.

If used intelligently, profanity or other obscenities can be very successful in getting a message across. The key is using it intelligently.
Old 10-13-2009 at 05:44 PM   #43
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that using profanity or other "shocking" ways of getting messages across can't be effective should read/watch Howard Stern's Private Parts.

Howard Stern makes over $100 million per year and has one of the largest fan followings of any radio personality in history.

If used intelligently, profanity or other obscenities can be very successful in getting a message across. The key is using it intelligently.
Is this a movie?

Old 10-13-2009 at 05:49 PM   #44
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Is this a movie?
Yes, it's been made into a movie. You can learn about it here

lawleypop says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 10-13-2009 at 05:51 PM   #45
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Yes, it's been made into a movie. You can learn about it here
Thanks baybay.

Also, note: I'm your 100thanker. You're welcome.

Taunton says thanks to lawleypop for this post.

Taunton likes this.