Health Studies 2D03 (Mental Health) PBurge Academics 6 06-16-2010 04:01 PM
Health Studies/Health Age Courses **jewel 03** Academics 0 06-05-2010 06:15 PM
old cs thread kevinf Gaming 21 12-29-2009 12:51 PM

Yet another Health Sci thread

Old 10-16-2009 at 11:32 PM   #1
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Yet another Health Sci thread
Okay, I am going to apply to McMaster Health Sciences this year, and was wondering what EXACTLY they look at?

I know they look at your:

-top 6 credits
-supp app
-whether you completed 40 hours or not

What I want to know is if they look at your EC's? (does the school send them a paper with all your EC's or something?) because my friend told me they somehow know all your school EC's and that plays a big part in admission or not. I am worried about this because most of my EC's are outside school and I do like 3-4 things in school only.

He also said the more hours you have the better, but I thought they just want to make sure you completed the minimum 40 hours or not. I have tons of volunteer hours, but none the school knows about because I don;t submit them. I don't want this affecting me if I can prevent it,.

Is this guy totally messing with me, or is he right? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

edit: btw, is this the supp app for this year?
http://bhsc.mcmaster.ca/supp/blank.html

isn't this exactly the same as last year?

Last edited by Strategy : 10-16-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2009 at 11:38 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

They just ask you questions, you don't send them a list of ECs.

It's about the quality of your ECs (in school and out of school) that matter, not the number. If you've spent a lot of hours with a certain organization that you are passionate about, you may have better answers than someone who just resume pads.
It's all about how your extracurricular experiences translate to how well you would fit into the program.

I wouldn't listen to your friend.
Old 10-16-2009 at 11:40 PM   #3
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategy View Post
Okay, I am going to apply to McMaster Health Sciences this year, and was wondering what EXACTLY they look at?

I know they look at your:

-top 6 credits
-supp app
-whether you completed 40 hours or not

What I want to know is if they look at your EC's? (does the school send them a paper with all your EC's or something?) because my friend told me they somehow know all your school EC's and that plays a big part in admission or not. I am worried about this because most of my EC's are outside school and I do like 3-4 things in school only.

He also said the more hours you have the better, but I thought they just want to make sure you completed the minimum 40 hours or not. I have tons of volunteer hours, but none the school knows about because I don;t submit them. I don't want this affecting me if I can prevent it,.

Is this guy totally messing with me, or is he right? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

edit: btw, is this the supp app for this year?
http://bhsc.mcmaster.ca/supp/blank.html

isn't this exactly the same as last year?
Only your top six credits (including prereqs) and supp app are used to evaluate your application. The high school does NOT send any form with all your ECs. That being said, you could use your EC's for your answers in the supplementary application for providing examples etc..
And yes, thats the supplementary application for this year.
Old 10-17-2009 at 12:24 AM   #4
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Top 6 credits, including the required courses.
Once you pass the cut off grade, it all depends on your supplementary app
EC only matter if you want them too aka if you decide to mention them.
I remember when I was applying someone had written out this whole like...tip thingy for health sci which I'm fairly sure was on macinsiders, but I can't find it anymore.
Most useful thing I got out of it though, and the point I remember most-don't just list off your achievements. And yea those are the same as last years questions.
Old 10-17-2009 at 03:32 PM   #5
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

I also just wanted to throw out that I think every faculty looks at whether you did your 40 hours or not indirectly; I hear it's actually kind of hard to get a high school diploma without doing them.

Go figure.