GPA calculation question. rant Academics 11 04-29-2010 11:28 PM
Grade Calculation Help Kamakachi5 Academics 3 04-17-2010 10:31 AM

York GPA Calculation

Old 08-20-2014 at 01:55 PM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

York GPA Calculation
Hey guys, I am trying to calculate my GPA for a Masters program at York with the following requirements:

"An undergraduate degree from a recognized university with at least a B average in the last two full years (or equivalent) of academic work."

"The admissions committee will calculate your GPA based on the last degree that you completed. A full year course will be given a value of two and a half year courses. The last 20 half courses will be assessed."

If I took more than 20 courses in my last 2 years, do they take my best 20?

Would 3-credit and 4-credit courses at McMaster be weighted the same (i.e. they are both half-year courses)?
Old 08-21-2014 at 09:08 AM   #2
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

7 = B-, 8 = B
[quote=Allan;406395]Hey guys, I am trying to calculate my GPA for a Masters program at York with the following requirements:

"An undergraduate degree from a recognized university with at least a B average in the last two full years (or equivalent) of academic work."

Just take your scores on the McMaster 12-point scale and multiply each one by the unit value of the course and add them up. Divide the aggregate by the number of units and you have your average. If it's better than 7 or 8, you should be OK. (An engineer might use a spreadsheet programme to do the dirty work here.) Actually, my final marks printout gave a calculated average. You can just look at that. York`s qualifications about equivalent are meant to deal with unusual cases of part-time or interrupted work.
Old 08-21-2014 at 08:08 PM   #3
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Yes, that is how McMaster calculates the GPA. But in the explanation I quoted from York, they also mention that they only count the last 20 half courses. Also, a full year course is given a value of 2.5x a half course.

Wouldn't this mean that McMaster's unit values don't apply, and that they only look at course duration? Although I'm not sure how they would be able to distinguish a full year course vs half year from our transcripts (I think I've had half-year courses range from 2 credits to 5).