MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about health science program admission valtorec Academics 22 05-08-2011 06:21 PM
Admission Life Science Shao First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 04-12-2011 11:06 PM
McMaster Life Science Admission LandLBoy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 04-10-2011 12:26 PM
Admission for Life Science Johnnyzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 05-13-2010 04:35 PM
Life Science Admission iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-08-2010 09:48 PM

How you can get admission for life science program in McMaster?

Old 11-23-2016 at 12:31 AM   #1
Yashar

Liked: 0 Times

How you can get admission for life science program in McMaster?
Hi,
My school told me I should write an essay to enter health science program.Is that true?
I am mature student and I got 6credit
Precalculus from BC:92%
MC4U:100%
MDM4U:87%
SPH4U:100%
SCH4U:95%
SBI4U:87%
Can somebody precisely tell me what is health science and what branches it has.which one is the best to go med school
Thanks
Old 11-23-2016 at 05:06 PM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Health Science doesn't admit mature students. So you'll have to apply to something else and then transfer at the end of your first year into Health Science if you still want to get in. It's much harder to transfer though compared to coming from high school.

Simply put, Life Science is the study of biological systems applied over the entire field of biology. Health Science is the study of biological systems with emphasis on human systems and healthcare.

EDIT: Wait are you a mature student or not? Are you mature as in behaviour-wise or mature as in out of high school for a while? Also are you a Canadian citizen? I don't think they have many spots for non-Canadians in med school especially if your English is that broken.

Last edited by Imperious : 11-23-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2016 at 08:27 PM   #3
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Wow, students get so many 100s these days. 100% kinda loses it's value when everyone has 100%.
Old 11-23-2016 at 10:47 PM   #4
Yashar

@Imperious

Thank you for answering my question and mocking my English.I am sure we will meet sometime next year.
I am 32,immigrant and Canadian citizen.I finished architecture back home.
Could you please tell me Based on what you are telling me that they don't take me for med school?If I get good marks in school and Mcad what can be obstacle For Me?
Old 11-23-2016 at 10:49 PM   #5
Yashar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
Wow, students get so many 100s these days. 100% kinda loses it's value when everyone has 100%.
Yes it took effort and needs IQ to get 100%
It's not easy
Old 11-23-2016 at 11:16 PM   #6
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

You can have the best marks in school and the best marks on the MCAT (you should probably know the correct name of the exam) but when you reach the interview stage, if you are not able to articulate yourself clearly, then you won't go any further. That's the main hurdle of being a non-Canadian citizen applying for med school in Canada. If the panel of interviewers feel that there is too much of a language barrier and you may not be able to communicate clearly with patients/colleagues, then they will hesitate to accept you. Also, it is worth noting that naturally, Canadian med schools have a preference to accept Canadian-born residents as they are more likely to remain in Canada to practice medicine rather then go back to their home country.
Old 11-24-2016 at 12:38 AM   #7
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashar View Post
Thank you for answering my question and mocking my English.I am sure we will meet sometime next year.
I highly doubt we'll meet. There's more than 5 people at this school.

Quote:
Could you please tell me Based on what you are telling me that they don't take me for med school?If I get good marks in school and Mcad what can be obstacle For Me?
You'd need a pretty compelling reason to explain why you want to go into medicine at such a late age. By the time you apply, you'll be around 35/36/37 and I'm sure adcoms will be interested in knowing what sparked your sudden interest and that you're fully committed.
Regarding the MCAT, I hope your reading skills are better than your writing skills because there's a whole section on reading comprehension and it's quite challenging even for people who grew up speaking English. Best of luck.
Old 11-24-2016 at 11:24 AM   #8
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Yes it took effort and needs IQ to get 100%
It's not easy
No, it takes an education system trying to compensate it's poor quality by inflating the marks.
Old 11-24-2016 at 04:28 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
@Imperious

There was no mocking - just fact.

Communication is a huge part of being a doctor. They need to be able to communicate to patients and colleagues, are often involved in teaching (especially as fellows), and need to be able to write notes in charts that are clear to others. I've seen a family reject a doctor who speaks with an accent and insist that the language barrier is too much - they requested to speak with another member of the team who speaks English as their native language. It didn't matter that the doctor is fluent in English (and frankly, his grammar is better than yours based on your post).

Anyways, you have to express yourself in written form in your application. I'm sure you could pay a native English speaker to do it for you (or edit yours), but that won't help you on the MCAT or interview. You've got a few years before you apply to med school. Rather than take offense, why don't you take a course or do something else to improve your English? That could even be something to talk about in your interviews/applications, relating to perseverance.
Old 11-24-2016 at 09:33 PM   #10
Yashar

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post

Anyways, you have to express yourself in written form in your application. I'm sure you could pay a native English speaker to do it for you (or edit yours), but that won't help you on the MCAT or interview. You've got a few years before you apply to med school. Rather than take offense, why don't you take a course or do something else to improve your English? That could even be something to talk about in your interviews/applications, relating to perseverance.
Thank you for your advice.I will definitely work on my language skills. Could you tell me more about that interview?
Old 11-25-2016 at 08:22 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Thank you for your advice.I will definitely work on my language skills. Could you tell me more about that interview?
I've never applied to med school, so anything I know is really just from talking to people. I think several med schools use the MMI system for interviews - you can google it to find examples and explanations of how it works - but some are probably traditional. The admissions website for each school should tell you.

Yashar says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 11-26-2016 at 09:54 AM   #12
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
No, it takes an education system trying to compensate it's poor quality by inflating the marks.
People also don't beat their kids enough anymore nowadays. Also a lot of these kids should have been sent out to the fields to pick tobacco at 13, that would harden the brats up.
Old 11-27-2016 at 03:09 AM   #13
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
People also don't beat their kids enough anymore nowadays. Also a lot of these kids should have been sent out to the fields to pick tobacco at 13, that would harden the brats up.
What does that have to do with grade inflation?

Are you saying students shouldn't get deserved Fs, because that would be too "hardening"? That's a hippie attitude.
Old 01-30-2017 at 10:23 PM   #14
flysmith

I think Life science will be a better option than Health Science for future doctor school?
Old 01-31-2017 at 01:40 PM   #15
tigercatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysmith View Post
I think Life science will be a better option than Health Science for future doctor school?
No, it will not. Can you get into medical school from Life Science? Well of course you can but only a small percentage of those that apply will ever get in. A much higher percentage get in from Health Sciences but it could be argued that that is natural considering the average necessary to get into the program.

Also never call it 'doctor school'.