MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome Week Angoose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 53 08-19-2010 10:58 AM
Welcome Week Rep Help Cassanova Volunteering Opportunities 4 02-18-2010 11:25 PM
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
Welcome Week/Frosh Week Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-04-2008 05:30 PM
Welcome Week amplified First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 47 07-28-2008 06:15 PM

Are you going to welcome week by yourself?

Old 08-30-2010 at 12:46 PM   #31
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

I'm gonna go alone, grab some popcorn(or food), sit on the lawn, watch people, and possibly fall asleep under the shade.

Hopefully, I'll meet someone
Old 08-30-2010 at 02:58 PM   #32
ThagsanaR

Liked: 10 Times

Ohh, this thread probably saved my sanity! Woohoo for loner-ism!
Old 09-07-2010 at 08:00 AM   #33
luna

Liked: 10 Times

u may feel alone at first and a bit uneasy (I know I will be) but there's thousands of first years so u're bound to make friends and there'll be other shy ppl too!!! Anyone going to welcome week alone? I live off campus and all my friends decided not to join in on welcome week stuff :(
Old 09-07-2010 at 11:02 PM   #34
Jobbles

Liked: 0 Times

I went to welcome week today with a friend who's in third year, but I wasn't able to make any friends from my own year. I was probably at fault because I came later in the day when most of the socs events had started and I couldnt find a group to join. How can I still make friends? Does socs start all over tomorrow with new groups? I really want to make friends in mcmaster that are my own age ... I don't want to be a loner in class. :(

... sorry to post a new question on this thread, but it seems like people know what they're talkingg about here.
Old 09-07-2010 at 11:08 PM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobbles View Post
I went to welcome week today with a friend who's in third year, but I wasn't able to make any friends from my own year. I was probably at fault because I came later in the day when most of the socs events had started and I couldnt find a group to join. How can I still make friends? Does socs start all over tomorrow with new groups? I really want to make friends in mcmaster that are my own age ... I don't want to be a loner in class. :(

... sorry to post a new question on this thread, but it seems like people know what they're talkingg about here.
You can make friends in tutorials and labs quite easily. For now, just go up to people during the events and introduce yourself, ask them questions to get to know them and go from there.
Old 09-07-2010 at 11:14 PM   #36
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

If anyone's lonely, I'm going to have some downtime after Clubsfest tomorrow (well, possibly after Airbands if I decide to show to that) and wouldn't mind some company, so I was thinking about having a mini-meetup somewhere (Hamilton Hall is MI's usual spot). I think it'd be a good chance for all the people here who still haven't found a group of friends to get to know each other, and it might be a good chance to find out who's in your class before they start.

...I'll be hanging out in HH regardless, so feel free to drop by. I'm/we're usually in the blackboards: to the left when you go up the front/main stairs, then on your left again. Maybe I'll write MI on the board or something.
Old 09-07-2010 at 11:14 PM   #37
Jobbles

Liked: 0 Times

thanks I actually have tons of tutorials and I'm going to back McMaster tomorrow to try to meet people again.
Old 09-07-2010 at 11:15 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
If anyone's lonely, I'm going to have some downtime after Clubsfest tomorrow (well, possibly after Airbands if I decide to show to that) and wouldn't mind some company, so I was thinking about having a mini-meetup somewhere (Hamilton Hall is MI's usual spot). I think it'd be a good chance for all the people here who still haven't found a group of friends to get to know each other, and it might be a good chance to find out who's in your class before they start.

...I'll be hanging out in HH regardless, so feel free to drop by. I'm/we're usually in the blackboards: to the left when you go up the front/main stairs, then on your left again. Maybe I'll write MI on the board or something.
I might drop by after clubfest since I'll already be in the vicinity.
Old 09-07-2010 at 11:19 PM   #39
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times

Ill show up after airbands if people are still gonna be there, since there really is no event after that other than the comedy show but thats at 9, if I can find it that is
Old 09-08-2010 at 12:12 AM   #40
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

If you're in SOCS or res and you're having a hard time meeting people - talk to the reps. It helps to have friends the same age as you but it also helps to have upper year friends. Reps are enthusiastic, friendly, helpful, dedicated and trained to handle a variety of situations. Just because you see them cheering like crazy, doesn't mean you will be forced to do that around them

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-08-2010 at 12:13 AM   #41
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I haven't been in HH in so long. I'll be at Clubsfest too

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-08-2010 at 11:57 AM   #42
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Lawley and I are here now if anybody wants autographs or something. =p

Still deciding on airbands, but if we do go we left a sign on the board to let you know you're in the right area.