MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
2010-2011 Booklist carrka MacInsiders Announcements 27 08-13-2010 11:33 AM
Biopharm 2010-2011 rakhrans Academics 62 06-17-2010 11:58 PM
First SRA Meeting of 2010/2011 huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 19 04-13-2010 04:20 PM
Frontline Editors 2010-2011 Omega_X13 MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-05-2010 06:20 AM
Volunteer for SHEC 2010-2011 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-02-2010 12:46 PM

Your 2010-2011 SRA is...

Old 03-12-2010 at 10:17 AM   #15
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times
Oh god...

Old 03-12-2010 at 11:27 AM   #16
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
I'm putting my efforts into the PSUV.

Rohan, not quite sure if I want to join again, still have to think on it. I'm still in the works of applying to other positions within the student body, so by about 10 days time I will see where I stand. I might just join Services Committee as an MSU member because that's where most of my platform focuses on, and the faculty-based points could be shifted to other personal responsibilities (we'll see soon). Still, a left-wing SRA is very appealing to me.

My thank you's go out to the 38 people who voted for me!!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 03-12-2010 at 11:30 AM   #17
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
I'm putting my efforts into the PSUV.

Rohan, not quite sure if I want to join again, still have to think on it. I'm still in the works of applying to other positions within the student body, so by about 10 days time I will see where I stand. I might just join Services Committee as an MSU member because that's where most of my platform focuses on, and the faculty-based points could be shifted to other personal responsibilities (we'll see soon). Still, a left-wing SRA is very appealing to me.

My thank you's go out to the 38 people who voted for me!!
It's time to move on to better things, my friend. I really believe there is a lot out there for you. There are far much better things you can do with your potential...I am moving on as well.

Last edited by Nino : 03-12-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Old 03-12-2010 at 11:47 AM   #18
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
I know some of the results are disappointing, but the long term solution isn't to funnel our most talented people away from the SRA. The entire MSU is going to be weaker if we keep losing people like Alvand and Fadil from some of our most influential positions.

All that said, I think I might be done with student government for a little while as well, I can see where they're both coming from. I hope you guys find success in whatever else you plan on doing.

Old 03-12-2010 at 11:51 AM   #19
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Hehe, it's kinda funny, b/c I thought the exact thing every time I saw a lousy poster.

Cioci had a good poster.
I agree about Cioci. I don't know what he was running for and I don't know what faculty he was from, but I knew he had an eyecatching poster.

Old 03-12-2010 at 11:53 AM   #20
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times
No it's cool BJ. I'm retiring so the loss of my is far more substantial

Old 03-12-2010 at 12:29 PM   #21
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
All that said, I think I might be done with student government for a little while as well
I highly recommend you join a standing committee. It's the perfect amount of involvement for non-sra students who want to get involved with the organization beyond volunteering with clubs and services.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

McIntyre likes this.

Old 03-12-2010 at 12:32 PM   #22
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I know some of the results are disappointing, but the long term solution isn't to funnel our most talented people away from the SRA. The entire MSU is going to be weaker if we keep losing people like Alvand and Fadil from some of our most influential positions.

All that said, I think I might be done with student government for a little while as well, I can see where they're both coming from. I hope you guys find success in whatever else you plan on doing.
Not exactly losing me since I don't hold a position anymore. However, I did have great interest in continuing my involvement with the MSU, but not any longer. A wise man once told me to forget about the MSU, not waste my time and move on. Okay, so maybe he is not exactly a wise man...It was Rohan. haha

adrian, lorend like this.

Old 03-12-2010 at 12:40 PM   #23
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
I highly recommend you join a standing committee. It's the perfect amount of involvement for non-sra students who want to get involved with the organization beyond volunteering with clubs and services.
McIntyre recommended the same thing, and I do plan to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino View Post
Okay, so maybe he is not exactly a wise man...It was Rohan. haha
Not exactly a wise man indeed

Old 03-12-2010 at 03:16 PM   #24
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times
As Alvand said, we have committees with MSU member at large representation in a lot of areas including our standing committees: University Affairs, External Affairs, Operations, Services, Finance and Bylaws & Procedures. There are also many other committees including our awards committees.

If anyone is interested in talking more about these opportunities I'll be happy to sit down with you. Just fire me an email at [email protected] and we'll set something up. Those positions hold the same status and say as those committee seats held by SRA members and it is invaluable to have more than just the opinion of SRA members so please do check into it!

Old 03-12-2010 at 07:07 PM   #25
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Ditto in regards to joining standing committees. It is exactly how I learnt my trade(via msu membership to Operations Commitee) and knew SRA members and how the MSU/SRA works and on and on in summer 09. I started the Online voting project and the IT infrastructure research during summer only as an SRA member. It can be a bit intimidating if you don't have that SRA title on you when doing these projects, but I assure you if you spend time within committees doing constructive work you will be accomplish alot.

As for the SocSci results they were surprising to me as well at first, the results challenge the previous conceptions of posters, facebook groups, reputations.

Chris Erl does have a point that what the "surprise" elects to SocSci did was engage people from 9:30 on the 10th to 5:00pm on the 11th. 4-5 of us were standing in the same area today so we decided that it would confuse the heck out of people if we were to approach them from 4/5 different angles at the SAME time in the narrow MUSC passageway and they will probably get pissed off and leave at the harassment or we will fight each other for voters. So we just combined all of our similar-ish messages into a less confusing arrangement!

The message was loosely based around being of a different mindset then the current SRA or Caucus in general, apparently it worked.

Often in the elections we all know the 10-20% of the involved voting population and we duke it out for their votes in most big faculties(especially SocSci).

However there is a 80% non voter population that can yield surprising results if engaged a certain way.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

c.erl likes this.

Old 03-12-2010 at 09:07 PM   #26
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
It was grassroots organizing, efficient get-out-the-vote techniques and incredibly passionate dedication that won them their seats. Advertising is a very small portion of campaigning, as this year's campaigns showed. Students voted for ideas and dedication, not flashy slogans and glittery posters.
Really? If anything, I'd think this year's elections proved that the vast majority of students couldn't care less about the SRA.

Old 03-12-2010 at 09:24 PM   #27
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Really? If anything, I'd think this year's elections proved that the vast majority of students couldn't care less about the SRA.
I really couldn't agree more. <4% of Commerce students voted for the Society Presidential elections this year and roughly the same number for SRA.

Rather than complain though, let's once again realize it's due to the fact these organizations were not performing in the past. The Commerce Society has turned a corner this year and is poised for enormous growth. Hopefully SRA can experience similar success this year.

Keeping in mind I was elected via acclaim, acclaim literally defeats the purpose of representation. If there's no vote, how am I "democratic reflection" of my peers?

But yes, step one is realizing nobody cares. That's the easy part. The hard part is ACTUALLY figuring out why and taking TANGIBLE steps to fixing it. Since I've gotten here the SRA hasn't been close to doing this. Make this year the one!

Congratulations to everyone who landed a seat! And nothing but encouragement for those that lost out. Use it as motivation for bigger things!

Old 03-12-2010 at 09:28 PM   #28
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
One year down the road I am still not sure what makes people tick! I did a 5 minute class presentation in my Sociology Lecture, it was very well received by the people(except those who just don't care at all), I saw one of them the next day in the elevator; asked him if he had voted yet? He said he loved my speech and appreciates what I'm doing but "voting is not my thing".

Bringing me back to square one, I was told by many experienced sources that getting people out to vote is dependent on how you "Engage" them and not throw buzz words, gimmicks & lofty promises at them, which is something I proudly avoid as much as I can. However there still are people who just don't see the SRA as relevant :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-12-2010 at 09:42 PM   #29
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
One year down the road I am still not sure what makes people tick! I did a 5 minute class presentation in my Sociology Lecture, it was very well received by the people(except those who just don't care at all), I saw one of them the next day in the elevator; asked him if he had voted yet? He said he loved my speech and appreciates what I'm doing but "voting is not my thing".

Bringing me back to square one, I was told by many experienced sources that getting people out to vote is dependent on how you "Engage" them and not throw buzz words, gimmicks & lofty promises at them, which is something I proudly avoid as much as I can. However there still are people who just don't see the SRA as relevant :S
Well um... I dunno if I would ever say "voting isn't my thing," but I don't believe in voting. Maybe that's what the student meant? xD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search