MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best amount of money to earn for biggest tax refund? darkstar Financial Aid 1 09-05-2010 08:26 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Residence Concerns (2009) lorend Residence & Housing 368 09-03-2009 09:59 AM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM

What are your biggest concerns/worries for this new school year?

Old 08-30-2009 at 07:45 AM   #76
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serps View Post
Took Russian classes?
I'm Bulgarian; fairly similar languages.
Old 08-30-2009 at 09:45 AM   #77
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

1) Being bored.

Boredom leads to procrastination for me.

2) Not having anyone to kill the creepy crawlies in my place like in previous years.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-30-2009 at 11:34 AM   #78
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
1) Being bored.

Boredom leads to procrastination for me.

2) Not having anyone to kill the creepy crawlies in my place like in previous years.
I can't believe I forgot about the bugs. I didn't find one in my rez room all year (which I was extremely happy about XD) but I think it'll be a different situation living in the basement of a house.

Spiders are scawy. :(

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-30-2009 at 12:32 PM   #79
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I'm Bulgarian; fairly similar languages.
From what part of Bulgaria do you or your family originate?
Old 08-30-2009 at 02:44 PM   #80
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
From what part of Bulgaria do you or your family originate?
Sofia.
Old 08-30-2009 at 08:55 PM   #81
Serps

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Speaking of Russian classes... first year russian is a guaranteed A+ if you atleast speak a little bit..
Thanks for the suggestion but it was full by the time I got to Solar. Sucks...

Which brings me to my next concern for the future.. not being able to take courses that I want/need.
Old 08-30-2009 at 09:02 PM   #82
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

1. Not having enough money for school.
2. Not being able to figure out what program I want to go into at the end of the year.
3. Living on my own, away from parents.
4. Living with people I don't know.
5. That I might not do well in my classes.
6. Not making new friends.
Old 08-30-2009 at 09:04 PM   #83
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serps View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but it was full by the time I got to Solar. Sucks...

Which brings me to my next concern for the future.. not being able to take courses that I want/need.
Happened to me for both first and now 2nd year. You literally have to log on Solar as soon as it opens up to get the electives you want. >_< Especially first year language courses.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-30-2009 at 09:06 PM   #84
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Sofia.
It is nice to see others from the Balkans at McMaster. I always thought that you were likely Russian, Bulgarian, or Macedonian (like myself). Turns out I was right.

Have you ever been to Plovdiv? If so, do you recommend it? I am thinking about going there next time I go that way.
Old 08-30-2009 at 09:16 PM   #85
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Having no results for my thesis ;__;
Old 08-30-2009 at 09:24 PM   #86
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Having no results for my thesis ;__;
As in nothing at all happens? Is that even possible?
Old 08-30-2009 at 09:42 PM   #87
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
It is nice to see others from the Balkans at McMaster. I always thought that you were likely Russian, Bulgarian, or Macedonian (like myself). Turns out I was right.

Have you ever been to Plovdiv? If so, do you recommend it? I am thinking about going there next time I go that way.
I've been to Plovdiv twice. It's really pretty and nice. I'd recommend you spend some time there, I'm sure you'd really like it.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 08-30-2009 at 09:57 PM   #88
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
As in nothing at all happens? Is that even possible?
It depends on the project.

Right now, for my summer project, my methyltransferase activity isn't working out (DPM is way too low). We ordered new 3H-SAM, hopefully it'll be in by Monday so I can have results by Friday. Thankfully I have results with respect to gene specific methylation.

It's definitely possible for results to be unexpected or experiments to not function properly. It took 2 months for my cells to grow, normally it takes about a week until you get a confluent dish :\. Things happen sometimes that are out of your control.
Old 08-30-2009 at 10:01 PM   #89
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
It depends on the project.

Right now, for my summer project, my methyltransferase activity isn't working out (DPM is way too low). We ordered new 3H-SAM, hopefully it'll be in by Monday so I can have results by Friday. Thankfully I have results with respect to gene specific methylation.

It's definitely possible for results to be unexpected or experiments to not function properly. It took 2 months for my cells to grow, normally it takes about a week until you get a confluent dish :\. Things happen sometimes that are out of your control.
Sounds... interesting XD.

Unexpected results are still results though, probably the most interesting results.

But yeah, the problem with the cell growth is definitely annoying... 2 months o.O
Old 08-30-2009 at 10:58 PM   #90
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Sounds... interesting XD.

Unexpected results are still results though, probably the most interesting results.

But yeah, the problem with the cell growth is definitely annoying... 2 months o.O
Haha, I think I mentioned that earlier about the unexpected results or rather, I stole that from O'Donnell. But, no results is kind of different from unexpected data. I know my technique is excellent since I've done MTase assays before, but I think the solutions are expired - but the tech was hesitant to purchase new stock :|

Yeah, I pretty much sat around and did nothing for most of the time - I'd much rather be working. Then I finished one of my major projects in about 1.5 months, though I'm still working on a creating a primer for the estrogen receptor (the last four kind of failed).