south american 4 2.19%
Indian / Pakistan 43 23.50%
Latins 4 2.19%
other 18 9.84%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MI background giftedchick General Discussion 23 02-14-2011 11:04 PM
Background Performers Needed for Feature film Documentary filming in Hamilton newchapter General Discussion 3 11-22-2009 02:40 PM

what is your racial background

Old 02-23-2011 at 01:00 PM   #31
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

speaking of white power

im not seeing thor

racist bs

Old 02-23-2011 at 01:06 PM   #32
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
You're really missing the point. I don't think further clarification is needed.

"I love the fact that I'm white."

Yea, okay..
Why shouldn't you love the fact that you are white?

Racism still exist and sadly to say, the color white still sit on top at most places...
Old 02-23-2011 at 01:08 PM   #33
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post

Racism still exist and sadly to say, the color white still sit on top at most places...
For exactly the reason you just said.

If I say, "I love the fact that I'm white," it implies I love it because of the benefits I get from it. Because it makes me "superior."

**** color.

I'll love myself because I think I'm attractive, I'm determined, I'm hotheaded, etc.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-23-2011 at 01:10 PM   #34
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
You're really missing the point. I don't think further clarification is needed.

Yea, okay..
And I think you're missing the point.
"I love the fact that I'm brown."
"I live the fact that I'm blah blah whatever."
Why shouldn't you love what you look like?

My father is brown, my mother looks Native American, my brother is just all sort of weirdness (used to look Asian as a kid, now looks Mediterranean), I'm basically white. We're all Egyptian. Why shouldn't we each love how we look? That's not saying you have to not love how someone else looks. I love my dad's skin tone. I love my mom's eyes. I hate my dad for giving me his nose , but I've grown to love it too. I love the thick (and excessive :|) hair that comes with a middle eastern background. I love Asian hair, though I'll never have it.

There are differences. Why not appreciate them? Is there something wrong with loving how we all look?

alh24 likes this.
Old 02-23-2011 at 01:18 PM   #35
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post

not true white people dont own the world

my people own it

dont want to start getting racist lol

i just think people should be happy with how they were created

being white gives no benefit at all lol, there are a lot of ugly white people
Old 02-23-2011 at 01:20 PM   #36
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

I am earth, wind, fire, water and heart.

Mahratta, _Luu_ like this.
Old 02-23-2011 at 01:51 PM   #37
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
not true white people dont own the world

my people own it

dont want to start getting racist lol

i just think people should be happy with how they were created

being white gives no benefit at all lol, there are a lot of ugly white people
Racial pride is good and expected.

But you should definitely do some research. Sometimes its easier to control people when the people feel like they are in control...

Quote:
For exactly the reason you just said.

If I say, "I love the fact that I'm white," it implies I love it because of the benefits I get from it. Because it makes me "superior."

**** color.

I'll love myself because I think I'm attractive, I'm determined, I'm hotheaded, etc.
But you are listing the same "superior" traits.

Attractive. The benefits you derive from this is huge for example.

Why does it matter that one trait is color-based and the one you listed is not? They do work together. For example: being white and bag-ugly will definitely negate any benefit you had from being white.
Old 02-23-2011 at 02:15 PM   #38
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I am half man, half bearpig. I'm super serial.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

REPLEKIA/. likes this.
Old 02-23-2011 at 03:22 PM   #39
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

To give you a straightforward answer, McMaster is a brown and asian school. I don't think there's a school more brown than mac, maybe York?
Humanities and Social Science students continue to be mostly white kids, and more girls than boys. Engineering and the Sciences lean the other way, brown and asian.

From what I can glean most of the brown kids are Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, and Iranian. The majority of them are from Toronto suburbs but there are lot of exchange students too.
Most of the asian kids are Chinese(many from Hong Kong) and South Korean. Again, mostly from the suburbs, but also a lot of exchange students.
Most of the white kids are from around here, like Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Cambridge, Kitchener, Brantville, Burlington, etc.

Depending on what your hometown/high school was like you may be surprised by how many brown and yellow people you will see here, my high school was mostly white and it surprised me. I know a guy from a small town who had never met an asian person before coming to Mac. But overall white people are probably still the largest group; there are more white people in the Sciences and Engineering than there are brown/asian in Soc Sci/Humanities. If not first, brown is second, and asians third. Blacks are a distant fourth followed by Hispanics and Natives which are hard to come by.
Old 02-23-2011 at 04:07 PM   #40
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
And I think you're missing the point.
"I love the fact that I'm brown."
"I live the fact that I'm blah blah whatever."
Why shouldn't you love what you look like?

My father is brown, my mother looks Native American, my brother is just all sort of weirdness (used to look Asian as a kid, now looks Mediterranean), I'm basically white. We're all Egyptian. Why shouldn't we each love how we look? That's not saying you have to not love how someone else looks. I love my dad's skin tone. I love my mom's eyes. I hate my dad for giving me his nose , but I've grown to love it too. I love the thick (and excessive :|) hair that comes with a middle eastern background. I love Asian hair, though I'll never have it.

There are differences. Why not appreciate them? Is there something wrong with loving how we all look?
because comparing skin colors is just a huge ego boost, that leaves you feeling superior to some and inferior to whites, you can't win this game unless your blonde, blue eyed, and tan, so we might as well celebrate things we have a CHOICE in such as personality, hobbies, career aspirations etc.

(what if you hated the way you looked, you would subconciously hate your parents and wished they were better looking, or that a different one of your mom's eggs met a different one of your dad's sperm.....its stupid to obsess over something you can't change)

Last edited by manap3000 : 02-23-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2011 at 04:07 PM   #41
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelve Chars View Post
To give you a straightforward answer, McMaster is a brown and asian school. I don't think there's a school more brown than mac, maybe York?
Humanities and Social Science students continue to be mostly white kids, and more girls than boys. Engineering and the Sciences lean the other way, brown and asian.

From what I can glean most of the brown kids are Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, and Iranian. The majority of them are from Toronto suburbs but there are lot of exchange students too.
Most of the asian kids are Chinese(many from Hong Kong) and South Korean. Again, mostly from the suburbs, but also a lot of exchange students.
Most of the white kids are from around here, like Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Cambridge, Kitchener, Brantville, Burlington, etc.

Depending on what your hometown/high school was like you may be surprised by how many brown and yellow people you will see here, my high school was mostly white and it surprised me. I know a guy from a small town who had never met an asian person before coming to Mac. But overall white people are probably still the largest group; there are more white people in the Sciences and Engineering than there are brown/asian in Soc Sci/Humanities. If not first, brown is second, and asians third. Blacks are a distant fourth followed by Hispanics and Natives which are hard to come by.
McMaster is in no way a "Brown/Asian School" I came from an Asian elementary school and a Brown/Black highschool and McMaster is closer to a "White School" than anything else (Basically anyone from Markham, Brampton, areas of Scarborough, and parts of North York experiences at least some level of culture shock when coming here because of the relative number of white people).

Calling McMaster a "Brown/Asian School" because you come from an area that >90% white and McMaster is closer to 50% white is just factually inarticulate, Mac has a rather even mix of races.
Old 02-23-2011 at 04:19 PM   #42
Twelve Chars

What exactly is an even mix of races?
Old 02-23-2011 at 04:20 PM   #43
Twelve Chars

But I suppose you're right, McMaster is a white school, as all universities in Canada are white schools. It's just one of the least so.
Old 02-23-2011 at 04:23 PM   #44
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
because comparing skin colors is just a huge ego boost, that leaves you feeling superior to some and inferior to whites, you can't win this game unless your blonde, blue eyed, and tan, so we might as well celebrate things we have a CHOICE in such as personality, hobbies, career aspirations etc.
0_0
What game?

This is exactly the attitude that leads to serious self-image issues. There is no game, there is only loving yourself and the body you come in. NOT celebrating your appearance is half the problem all by itself-if you can't be happy with how you look, then of course, regardless of whether you are white, brown, black, whatever, you will always see yourself in a bad light.

Just because you love your body does not denote that anyone else's appearance is any less. Why in the hell should feeling good about yourself=feeling superior?

Edit:
Who's obsessing? I'm saying we shouldn't try to ignore the things that makes us different because they're the things that make us beautiful. We should embrace and enjoy our differences. Exactly because we can't change them-why not love the things we were born with?
If you hate the way you look, I would hope that one day you'd come to accept and love the way you look.

Last edited by crazyfree : 02-23-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2011 at 04:25 PM   #45
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Why not? That's all part of loving how you look. Why not love the shape of your eyes, or your skin colour etc.?
/shrugs
It's just a healthy body image thing really.
It's just like how people celebrate gay pride, or their body shape(skinny or fat, short, tall etc.)-they have no control over that, but they still celebrate it.
There's a semantic difference between the 'skin colour' lawleypop intended and the 'skin colour' you're using. You're ignoring the social connotations of the term.

lawleypop says thanks to Mahratta for this post.