MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA Applications GCSM Volunteering Opportunities 4 02-04-2013 07:57 PM
$0.99 customized mousepad with free shipping and more items Vessi Student Deals & Discounts 5 09-01-2012 09:59 AM
How have you customized Mac OS X? Afzal Computers & Tech 3 08-13-2012 01:23 AM
REP applications Scuderia General Discussion 8 03-05-2011 08:57 PM
CA applications ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 19 01-13-2011 09:31 PM

Your very own Customized Applications :)

Old 04-08-2013 at 12:52 PM   #1
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Your very own Customized Applications :)
Hi,

I am bored and enjoy programming. Ever wish there was an easier way to do certain everyday tasks? Well now here is your chance to be even lazier

I will make any feasible suggestions that you may have. For example, I have made little desktop apps to click and log me straight into my NAS server so no need of login credentials everytime, they are stored in a encrypted file, or perhaps you want a very specific way to organize your computer files.

If ya have excel sheets with formulas linked, why not create a fully polished program out of it?

Here is your chance to make the most of my boredom and have your very own customized programs.

I am only doing this for Windows right now, maybe Mac later. Also this is no joke, I legitimately enjoy programming but have no more ideas.

andrew22, Chevalier, jaywa, RyanC like this.
Old 04-08-2013 at 01:49 PM   #2
Kinder

Liked: 13 Times

I want a program to automate my course schedule depending my restrictions I place and display it for me.

Example:

I'm taking 5 courses, 2 of which has a Lab and Tutorial components. I place restrictions:

1 - Gap between each classes should be 10 minutes (back to back).
2 - Lectures/lab/tutorials should not start until 12 pm.
3 - Math 2ZZB lecture must be in C01.
4 - Mech Eng 2C04 lab must be in L03.

The program will then look through the timetable list, and through permutation, find a schedule that will meet these criteria.

If it cannot, due to certain classes having all their components starting before noon, then it will still make the schedule that is closest to my restrictions.

For the gap between each classes, if it can not make a perfect compressed schedule, then it will look for the biggest gap. This way I can go to the library and study for 3 hours instead of 1 hour, for example.

Anything that has a must restriction, have to have that requirement.

Crzyrio, Zebedee like this.
Old 04-08-2013 at 01:56 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinder View Post
No lectures before 12 in second year engineering? LOL

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're doing... is this course selection or what?
Old 04-08-2013 at 02:18 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

i would love a cool calender app. There are a bunch out there but they just arent that great. (though I think this may be a lot of work to do)

things I would like
- able to combine calenders from various emails, gmail, live mail, outlook, etc. etc.
- able to toggle on/off which ones you want to see (also maybe a "show only" option. say you have multiple calenders and instead of having to go and toggle off all of the ones just to look at one, you make that one show only so you automatically just see that one)
- able to pick the color of the event
- able to choose view (month, day, week) (if it is a week or month view then on the side have a column that shows the days events)
- able to configure defaults ( some calenders come with pre configured defaults that aren't the best, so having the ability to set defaults in terms of event notifications, event color, default calender, etc. etc. would be nice)

a good example of a basic calender to build on and improve would be the one that comes with windows live mail.
also it would be cool if the calender could also be set onto the desktop like the program 'desktopcal'.

any other ideas or add ons for the ultimate calender that is customizable and does what you want and isnt restrictive would be cool too

Crzyrio likes this.
Old 04-08-2013 at 02:19 PM   #5
Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
No lectures before 12 in second year engineering? LOL

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're doing... is this course selection or what?
Yep. Obviously the case might not be feasible, I was just trying to give clarity through an example.

The program would assist timetable tweaks after registering in the courses.
Old 04-08-2013 at 04:11 PM   #6
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

>indie video games???!
Old 04-08-2013 at 08:11 PM   #7
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinder View Post
I want a program to automate my course schedule depending my restrictions I place and display it for me.

Example:

I'm taking 5 courses, 2 of which has a Lab and Tutorial components. I place restrictions:

The program will then look through the timetable list, and through permutation, find a schedule that will meet these criteria.

If it cannot, due to certain classes having all their components starting before noon, then it will still make the schedule that is closest to my restrictions.

For the gap between each classes, if it can not make a perfect compressed schedule, then it will look for the biggest gap. This way I can go to the library and study for 3 hours instead of 1 hour, for example.

Anything that has a must restriction, have to have that requirement.
This sounds do-able! Might take a while but I can see it happening, Ill start on it soon

Basically I can have a list of rules/keywords, at least ___ gap, start after noon, etc... like you outlined.

I know there is a plain text webpage/pdf of the master timetable, anyone know where I can find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
i would love a cool calender app. There are a bunch out there but they just arent that great. (though I think this may be a lot of work to do)

things I would like
- able to combine calenders from various emails, gmail, live mail, outlook, etc. etc.
- able to toggle on/off which ones you want to see (also maybe a "show only" option. say you have multiple calenders and instead of having to go and toggle off all of the ones just to look at one, you make that one show only so you automatically just see that one)
- able to pick the color of the event
- able to choose view (month, day, week) (if it is a week or month view then on the side have a column that shows the days events)
- able to configure defaults ( some calenders come with pre configured defaults that aren't the best, so having the ability to set defaults in terms of event notifications, event color, default calender, etc. etc. would be nice)

a good example of a basic calender to build on and improve would be the one that comes with windows live mail.
also it would be cool if the calender could also be set onto the desktop like the program 'desktopcal'.

any other ideas or add ons for the ultimate calender that is customizable and does what you want and isnt restrictive would be cool too
I dont think I have the time for something like this right now, but if my co-op position doesn't get extended through the summer I will definitely give this a shot. requires a lot of UI stuff too xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
>indie video games???!
I wish, but I dont have any experience with game programming and it seems like a totally different world.

Chevalier says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 04-08-2013 at 08:24 PM   #8
Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
This sounds do-able! Might take a while but I can see it happening, Ill start on it soon

Basically I can have a list of rules/keywords, at least ___ gap, start after noon, etc... like you outlined.

I know there is a plain text webpage/pdf of the master timetable, anyone know where I can find this?
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/U201305.html

2013 = year

05 = session, can be 09 (fall winter) or 05 (spring summer)

When you display the theory crafted timetable, are you able to let us see it graphically instead of just C01 L01 etc...?

And hopefully, it will spit out multiple permutations ranking it by how close it is to the restrictions. That way, I can see all the possibilities that is closest and make my choice depending on the availability of the course.

Oh, and one more thing. Make the restriction tag: "must not be" possible.

Example:

C02 for Econ 2B03 is full. So I put in must not be C02 so it doesn't give me a core I can not select.
Old 04-09-2013 at 07:33 PM   #9
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Hi,

I am bored and enjoy programming. Ever wish there was an easier way to do certain everyday tasks? Well now here is your chance to be even lazier

I will make any feasible suggestions that you may have. For example, I have made little desktop apps to click and log me straight into my NAS server so no need of login credentials everytime, they are stored in a encrypted file, or perhaps you want a very specific way to organize your computer files.

If ya have excel sheets with formulas linked, why not create a fully polished program out of it?

Here is your chance to make the most of my boredom and have your very own customized programs.

I am only doing this for Windows right now, maybe Mac later. Also this is no joke, I legitimately enjoy programming but have no more ideas.
This is intriguing. I've been thinking of working on small projects to improve in programming myself. What language(s) are you using/going to be using?

Also, it actually really isn't that bad getting into 'game programming', as you put it. Honestly, there's an open source textbook floating around on the internet that introduces you to the concepts of making games using Python. Send me a PM if you're interested in that - I probably have a pdf lying around somewhere I can send your way.

Now, if we were talking unReal script, then that's a whole different story.

Quote:
I know there is a plain text webpage/pdf of the master timetable, anyone know where I can find this

You mean, like
this?

Last edited by Zachary : 04-09-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2013 at 09:56 AM   #10
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
This is intriguing. I've been thinking of working on small projects to improve in programming myself. What language(s) are you using/going to be using?

Also, it actually really isn't that bad getting into 'game programming', as you put it. Honestly, there's an open source textbook floating around on the internet that introduces you to the concepts of making games using Python. Send me a PM if you're interested in that - I probably have a pdf lying around somewhere I can send your way.

Now, if we were talking unReal script, then that's a whole different story.

You mean, like
this?
Yeah it fun too! I have just been creating mini applications for my desktop to automate stuff but that is getting boring. Been using C#/.net so far and been dabbling in a bit of Obj-C in xCode for macs.

I wouldnt mind getting taking a look at that pdf if ya still have it.

Yeah I remembered that timetable website yesterday, was thinking I should just contact him and maybe we can just add the 'rules' part to his website.
Old 04-10-2013 at 12:38 PM   #11
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Is it possible to do a file renamer for music/videos under a certain template but the program would undertstand how to fill in the corresponding ones and increment the numbers.
Example: I have a bunch of videos with poor naming. I want to make a standard and change all of them to say

Friends S01E01 DVDRIP

I would then indicate the list of files and it would rename all of them sequentially. so S01E01,S01E02,......

Snowman likes this.
Old 04-10-2013 at 12:48 PM   #12
Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Is it possible to do a file renamer for music/videos under a certain template but the program would undertstand how to fill in the corresponding ones and increment the numbers.
Example: I have a bunch of videos with poor naming. I want to make a standard and change all of them to say

Friends S01E01 DVDRIP

I would then indicate the list of files and it would rename all of them sequentially. so S01E01,S01E02,......
Try one of the already premade app that does this.

http://tvrename.com/
Old 04-10-2013 at 01:16 PM   #13
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post

Friends S01E01 DVDRIP

What format is everything in?

There are a couple of already created Applications that actually look up data on imdb for you and add the metadata to your movies/shows. They will be much more robust!

If you have a Mac: Identify Windows: MetaX
Old 04-10-2013 at 01:39 PM   #14
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

OHHHH

Im not sure if there already is an app for this but

Lets suppose, hypothetically, cus no one would ever do this of course, that you downloaded music from youtube, or another not so legitimate site.

these downloads typically dont have information on the song, ie. genre, composer, etc. etc. they just come with the name. Now you can manually edit this by going to the downloaded file, clicking properties, and filling in the info.

It would be cool if there was an app where you would select the file, or a folder containing X number of files, and it would automatically look up the information and fill it in.

anyone know if there is an app for that, or is it worth making>?
Old 04-10-2013 at 02:40 PM   #15
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
OHHHH

Im not sure if there already is an app for this but

Lets suppose, hypothetically, cus no one would ever do this of course, that you downloaded music from youtube, or another not so legitimate site.

these downloads typically dont have information on the song, ie. genre, composer, etc. etc. they just come with the name. Now you can manually edit this by going to the downloaded file, clicking properties, and filling in the info.

It would be cool if there was an app where you would select the file, or a folder containing X number of files, and it would automatically look up the information and fill it in.

anyone know if there is an app for that, or is it worth making>?
Windows media player does that, although it is fairly stupid since there are a lot of artists with similarly named songs/albums so it's hard for it to decide what is right