MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science Admission worries Scotchtape Academics 16 05-14-2011 10:37 PM
Some questions...and concerns Silver First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 54 02-22-2011 04:17 PM
What are your biggest concerns/worries for this new school year? b_sunshine55 General Discussion 132 09-06-2009 01:39 AM
Residence Concerns (2009) lorend Residence & Housing 368 09-03-2009 09:59 AM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM

What Are Your Worries Or Concerns First Years!

Old 06-04-2011 at 01:05 AM   #46
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
What also sucks is how kids who live in Hamilton have a longer commute than I do. I don't even live in the city and it takes me 30 minutes. If the driver is feeling youthful, 28 o.o
Commuting on the HSR can take upwards to 45 minutes! It's so incredibly bad and tedious that if I could go back, I would definitely decide to live on rez even though I'm from Hamilton. For an 8:30 class, I had to wake up at 5:45.. And I had 8:30 classes four days a week.

RememberTwce, tatski-p like this.
Old 06-04-2011 at 01:43 AM   #47
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dquest View Post
This probably makes me sound super nerdy, but I am not sure on which science courses to take!

I'm going into level 1 arts and science so I am choosing between taking the bio courses and the chem courses, however I plan to do a combined honours degree in something bio/chem related...so I want to take both...but I don't think 36 credits in first year is wise...or allowed...LOL any advice?
Thismight help.

dquest says thanks to arathbon for this post.
Old 06-04-2011 at 01:44 AM   #48
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
Commuting on the HSR can take upwards to 45 minutes! It's so incredibly bad and tedious that if I could go back, I would definitely decide to live on rez even though I'm from Hamilton. For an 8:30 class, I had to wake up at 5:45.. And I had 8:30 classes four days a week.
I had the same issue. Waking up before the sun comes up is not fun, especially when I had to walk all the way to the busstop then have my legs fall asleep on a long bus ride.

I would live on rez if an alarm clock was capable of waking me up. Most of the time my parents end up waking me up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
This might help.
I didn't know Arts+Sci had so many specialization options, that's really cool
Old 06-04-2011 at 01:54 AM   #49
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
I had the same issue. Waking up before the sun comes up is not fun, especially when I had to walk all the way to the busstop then have my legs fall asleep on a long bus ride.

I would live on rez if an alarm clock was capable of waking me up. Most of the time my parents end up waking me up
There is nothing worse than staying up writing essays all night, getting two hours of sleep, waking up at 5:45 in the morning, and walking to the bus stop in the pitch dark, especially on a freezing winter day. One time, waiting for the bus, I had ice that was stuck to my ears. Ice, stuck to my ears! It melted off on the ride home, but the fact that I had to wait long enough that ice could solidify and stick to my ears really grinds my gears.

arathbon, tatski-p like this.
Old 06-04-2011 at 01:58 AM   #50
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
There is nothing worse than staying up writing essays all night, getting two hours of sleep, waking up at 5:45 in the morning, and walking to the bus stop in the pitch dark, especially on a freezing winter day. One time, waiting for the bus, I had ice that was stuck to my ears. Ice, stuck to my ears! It melted off on the ride home, but the fact that I had to wait long enough that ice could solidify and stick to my ears really grinds my gears.
It never ceases to amaze me how many people they manage to cram into a single HSR bus.

Having to stand is a terrible experience, especially when you're too tired to hold your legs up straight.
Old 06-04-2011 at 02:01 AM   #51
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me how many people they manage to cram into a single HSR bus.

Having to stand is a terrible experience, especially when you're too tired to hold your legs up straight.
..And when there are readily available seats that you can see in the back, but the lady/man will not move their buggy/shopping cart/whatever else to let you by, so you are forced to stand with your head down thinking of what could have been. And, it just so happens, these same people are always on every stop with you! Happens too many times in the course of a week...
Old 06-04-2011 at 02:04 AM   #52
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
..And when there are readily available seats that you can see in the back, but the lady/man will not move their buggy/shopping cart/whatever else to let you by, so you are forced to stand with your head down thinking of what could have been. And, it just so happens, these same people are always on every stop with you! Happens too many times in the course of a week...
I've seen people get on an extremely crowded bus, forcing others to have to wait for the next one, only to get off at the next stop.

Some people are just *******s..

J. Dorey, tatski-p like this.
Old 06-04-2011 at 02:07 AM   #53
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
I've seen people get on an extremely crowded bus, forcing others to have to wait for the next one, only to get off at the next stop.

After a full school year of taking the HSR to and from school, I now believe that it has made me a more bitter person.

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 06-04-2011 at 02:10 AM   #54
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
After a full school year of taking the HSR to and from school, I now believe that it has made me a more bitter person.
If I wasn't so lazy I'd get my license so I could avoid another year of horrible experiences.

So far, no success..

17 Months with a G1... -_-''
Old 06-04-2011 at 02:55 AM   #55
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
completely feel your pain :( I live on the mountain (near limeridge) and all my highschool friends who go to mac pretty much take the same route via HSR as I do. TWO busses, 45 minute commute.
the good side is that the ride there tends to wake me up, but there's not much you can do on a 20 minute bus ride before having to get off and catch the next bus >__< also, miss one bus = miss the connecting bus downtown. aaahhhhh!
and past 9:00, the busses only run every half hour! evening classes are impossible to take without getting home at near midnight D'x
Old 06-04-2011 at 03:07 AM   #56
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:

Oh, I hate that. Jerky rides are horrible at that point, 'cause if I don't have something to lean against, my legs would just fold under me! Thank goodness that hasn't happened.

Quote:
If I wasn't so lazy I'd get my license so I could avoid another year of horrible experiences.

So far, no success..

I don't even have a G1. I feel so...unaccomplished.. .
Old 06-04-2011 at 09:06 AM   #57
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:

So far, no success..

I know how you feel. I have 12 months instead.
Old 06-04-2011 at 09:20 AM   #58
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:

WOW PEOPLE GET ON THE BUS JUST FOR ONE STOP?
Seriously.
Seriously.

Ugh.

Even though you guys have a longer, far more painful commute than I do, you guys pay almost nothing for it. A monthly pass for the GO (from my area to Mac) is $168 after tax. People who are coming from Square One pay just under/exactly $200. Basically the further you live from the school, the more you pay. Such is life when you commute via a toll highway

So even though we get to enjoy cushy GO seats and a speedy commute, we're paying for it.
Old 06-04-2011 at 09:22 AM   #59
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:

I'm gonna have an 8:30 next year....

....waking up before the sun.....

welp
Old 06-04-2011 at 12:56 PM   #60
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
completely feel your pain :( I live on the mountain (near limeridge) and all my highschool friends who go to mac pretty much take the same route via HSR as I do. TWO busses, 45 minute commute.
the good side is that the ride there tends to wake me up, but there's not much you can do on a 20 minute bus ride before having to get off and catch the next bus >__< also, miss one bus = miss the connecting bus downtown. aaahhhhh!
and past 9:00, the busses only run every half hour! evening classes are impossible to take without getting home at near midnight D'x
Yeah I'm near Limeridge too, and the worst feeling is, after getting all the way downtown finally after making multiple stops, you stop at Haymarket and see the University bus turning and, as you finally get to your stop, it takes off as you get off.