MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission Life Science Shao First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 04-12-2011 11:06 PM
Life Science And Kin Admission Crisis! jubjubhubba Academics 46 02-02-2011 10:27 PM
Admission for Life Science Johnnyzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 05-13-2010 04:35 PM
Life Science Admission iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-08-2010 09:48 PM
Life Science Admission pepperminte First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 03-24-2010 11:38 AM

Life Science Admission worries

Old 05-10-2011 at 05:36 PM   #1
Scotchtape

Liked: 0 Times

Life Science Admission worries
Hey, guys was hoping to get some more insight on the admissions this year for Honours Life Science. My Top 6 are:
A.Functions- 86
English- 81
Biology- 87
Chemistry- 90
D.Management- 91
Economics - 92
Average: 87.8%
With this average is there a chancing of recieving an offer, or is it to late in May?

Input would be appreciated, Thanks.
Old 05-10-2011 at 05:57 PM   #2
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtape View Post
Hey, guys was hoping to get some more insight on the admissions this year for Honours Life Science. My Top 6 are:
A.Functions- 86
English- 81
Biology- 87
Chemistry- 90
D.Management- 91
Economics - 92
Average: 87.8%
With this average is there a chancing of recieving an offer, or is it to late in May?

Input would be appreciated, Thanks.
Your average should be good enough to get an offer based on what I know about the cutoff from last year.

That being said, nobody on MacInsiders can tell you for sure if you will get in because (1) we don't work in admissions and (2) the cutoff could be higher or lower than last year, there is no way to know for sure.

Just cross your fingers and hope you get an offer. Enjoy high school while it lasts.
Old 05-10-2011 at 06:33 PM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

looks good enough... but wow it is really late.. isnt the deadline to accept about 2 weeks from now?

edit: now that i think about it.. i think my offer came around early may aswell.... just keep your fingers crossed and keep watching your inbox

Last edited by giftedchick : 05-10-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2011 at 10:38 PM   #4
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
looks good enough... but wow it is really late.. isnt the deadline to accept about 2 weeks from now?

edit: now that i think about it.. i think my offer came around early may aswell.... just keep your fingers crossed and keep watching your inbox
Yep, there's still some time. My sis hasn't been accepted into anything yet, either.

Old 05-10-2011 at 10:41 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Is honours life science different from 'regular' life sciences or are they the same. I got into 'regular' life science with an 88 this past friday.
Old 05-10-2011 at 11:32 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Is honours life science different from 'regular' life sciences or are they the same. I got into 'regular' life science with an 88 this past friday.
All first years in Science are in "regular" programs except for those who got accepted into Honours Integrated Sciences. But as you move to second year there is a difference between Honours and "Regular" programs. Honours requires 4 years (120 credits) and has more requirements while "Regular" only requires 3 years (90 credits) and has less requirements.

I actually don't even know why they have "regular" programs. With all this competition, I don't see much value in regular programs except for the fact that you can graduate early if you get accepted into professional school. But you don't need a degree to get into professional school and a degree at the professional school is valued much more than a "regular" degree anyways. :\
Old 05-11-2011 at 07:39 AM   #7
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I'd say you've got a pretty good chance. Best of luck!
Old 05-11-2011 at 12:01 PM   #8
jlee

No worries! You have a very high chance of getting in. I think acceptance letters should still be coming. Depending on your high school as well, I think they take that into consideration. But that average is safe...so just keeping waiting All the best!
Old 05-11-2011 at 04:43 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
All first years in Science are in "regular" programs except for those who got accepted into Honours Integrated Sciences. But as you move to second year there is a difference between Honours and "Regular" programs. Honours requires 4 years (120 credits) and has more requirements while "Regular" only requires 3 years (90 credits) and has less requirements.

I actually don't even know why they have "regular" programs. With all this competition, I don't see much value in regular programs except for the fact that you can graduate early if you get accepted into professional school. But you don't need a degree to get into professional school and a degree at the professional school is valued much more than a "regular" degree anyways. :\
So the program I got in for and the one TC is waiting for it the same right? And yea, about your second part I get it...that makes sense.

And TC, my friend got into life science with an 86 so I think you will get in shortly.
Old 05-11-2011 at 05:03 PM   #10
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Your average is higher than mine when I got accepted. I'd be prepared to recieve an offer.
Old 05-11-2011 at 05:40 PM   #11
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

You will most likely get an acceptance. Don't worry and hope for the best.
Old 05-11-2011 at 06:32 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
So the program I got in for and the one TC is waiting for it the same right? And yea, about your second part I get it...that makes sense.

And TC, my friend got into life science with an 86 so I think you will get in shortly.
Yep, there's no Honours Life Science in first year, it's just Life Science. Honours Life Science actually starts in second year (if you apply and accept it).

Silver says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-12-2011 at 04:55 PM   #13
Scotchtape

Thanks for the reassurance, i'll keep hoping Just got my acceptance for Western for Biological & Medical Sciences, so it hopefully won't be too long until mac replies.
Old 05-12-2011 at 04:58 PM   #14
Silver
Elite Member

Nice. Congrats!
Old 05-12-2011 at 07:02 PM   #15
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtape View Post
Thanks for the reassurance, i'll keep hoping Just got my acceptance for Western for Biological & Medical Sciences, so it hopefully won't be too long until mac replies.
Congratulations bro.
Hope you hear a [positive] response from McMaster soon!