MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sign in to enter residence? smshlyxlhl Hedden Hall Forum 10 01-05-2011 09:43 PM
Spring/Summer Sign Up? Deegs14 Academics 9 03-01-2010 02:37 PM
What is the #1 thing you need right now? Rossclot General Discussion 94 02-04-2010 09:25 AM
Sign In on Weekend-Concern sarah1111 Residence & Housing 12 12-11-2008 02:04 PM

The Zodiac sign thing.

Old 01-14-2011 at 02:11 PM   #46
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I want my aries back :(

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 01-14-2011 at 02:22 PM   #47
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times

Forget that, I refuse to be a Libra haha, i'm quite content being a Scorpio thanks!
Old 01-14-2011 at 02:24 PM   #48
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

actually I read that changes only apply to people who were born after 2009.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 01-14-2011 at 02:31 PM   #49
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

LOL @ this thread.

The zodiac doesn't change arbitrarily by one guy, it continously changes as we speak. Bill Nye talked about this years ago on his show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPFoDkGFrU. I don't know this is getting media attention just now. All the pointless panic about this is absolutely hilarious.

Also, there always has been a 13th constellation in the zodiac. When the dates were aligned with the actual position of the constellations ~2000 years ago, Ophiuchus was in Scorpio's position. So I guess it was left out since it crossed the ecliptic for only a few days. Please stop saying that a 13th constellation was just randonly added in.

taylojl likes this.
Old 01-14-2011 at 02:46 PM   #50
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Astrology is retart.
Old 01-14-2011 at 02:48 PM   #51
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

im still a taurus... ITS A SIGN!!!
Old 01-14-2011 at 02:53 PM   #52
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
I'm the new one. Apparently I'm now a serpent handler.

SERPENT HANDLER? You can't be serious. My sign is supposed to look like a guy literally straddling a big snake.

...Yeah.
clearly you belong in slitherin
Old 01-14-2011 at 03:03 PM   #53
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't believe in astrology stuff, but eww I'm a virgo now. Scorpio sounded much cooler.

It's kind of funny though. I just looked it up and Virgo "personality traits" are a million times more similar to my personality than Scorpio.
Old 01-14-2011 at 03:19 PM   #54
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

What doesn't Bill Nye know? lol

Anyways I'm still a Leo

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 01-14-2011 at 03:48 PM   #55
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I don't believe in astrology stuff, but eww I'm a virgo now. Scorpio sounded much cooler.

It's kind of funny though. I just looked it up and Virgo "personality traits" are a million times more similar to my personality than Scorpio.
Although I don't believe in any of this, I always found it eerily odd how similar the Virgo personality traits are to my own.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-14-2011 at 10:33 PM   #56
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Although I don't believe in any of this, I always found it eerily odd how similar the Virgo personality traits are to my own.
You guys realize they are purposely written to be bland and easy for anyone to pick out a few similarities, right? They're also playing psychology, where the mind tends to remember positive experiences over negative ones, and wants to reduce inconsistencies (ie by agreeing with the website)

But it is fun to read that there is love coming next month, if I step out of my comfort zone and trying something new, in spite of the reservations of last month.

Afzal likes this.
Old 01-15-2011 at 07:41 AM   #57
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
You guys realize they are purposely written to be bland and easy for anyone to pick out a few similarities, right? They're also playing psychology, where the mind tends to remember positive experiences over negative ones, and wants to reduce inconsistencies (ie by agreeing with the website)

But it is fun to read that there is love coming next month, if I step out of my comfort zone and trying something new, in spite of the reservations of last month.
No, I didn't know that at all. -rolls eyes-

If that was the case, then all of them would apply to everyone. I'm saying that, coincidentally, Virgo fit me the best. Yay kwinkadinks.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-15-2011 at 11:32 AM   #58
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I read that this whole thing is a sham and nothing has changed at all.

EDIT: Apparently it doesn't count for the Western Hemisphere because we fall under the Tropical Zodiac. So, guys, we're all safe. Go back to original positions!!!

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 01-15-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2011 at 01:31 PM   #59
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I read that this whole thing is a sham and nothing has changed at all.

EDIT: Apparently it doesn't count for the Western Hemisphere because we fall under the Tropical Zodiac. So, guys, we're all safe. Go back to original positions!!!
All the tropical zodiac system means is that we use a fixed system of dates for assigning zodiac signs, because way back in time when it was first noticed that the solstices were changing and the constellations positions no longer matched their assigned dates, one group of people decided it was too much work to account for this. In other words the tropical zodiac system was made by lazy people and signs assigned by the tropical zodiac don't actually match up with their respective constellations and therefore have little to no real meaning.

In other words: the article just attempted to introduce the concept of sidereal astrology, which is considered more correct as the dates for signs actually match up with their respective constellations, to the western hemisphere.