MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3.8 Average JakeWill Academics 7 06-04-2010 10:34 PM
Average for 3rd year njd123 Academics 6 05-30-2010 05:50 PM
sessional average? maryam17 Academics 1 05-01-2010 04:40 PM
calculating GPA average Mango First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 04-11-2010 12:42 AM
Marks/Average mike_2133 Academics 8 08-13-2007 08:16 PM

4.0 average

Old 01-26-2010 at 08:12 PM   #31
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedust View Post
you shouldn't be complaining now, if you were smart to start off with, you would be in health sci right now and not in the program you are in. I am not in health sci but these people who are in it don't just sit on their ass and get 12s.
Wow ok that's not entirely true. Not all "smart" people choose health sci. I quite frankly wasn't interested in the program they offered, and I'm sure there are others that preferred other programs.
Old 01-26-2010 at 08:43 PM   #32
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Yeah, I agree. I didn't choose health science because I didn't feel like it, not because I wouldn't have gotten in.
Old 01-27-2010 at 02:25 AM   #33
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syan9184 View Post
all grade 12 students should write a standardized test like the States... fair.
Agreed
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:04 AM   #34
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myInteger View Post
hold on.. I heard at UofT a 4.0 average is actually 85% and above...you know what let me check. k here...it is!

http://www.artsci.utoronto.c a/curr...nscripts/guide

wow that is such bs. this is why my uoft friends brag that they have a "perfect" avg and when i say "i dont know anyone at mac that has a 12.0 avg" they go on about how uoft is the best school in ontario and its so harrddd and everyone is so smart there. 8-)
That is true, but only within U of T itself. Grades are standardized when applying to Professional School (not sure about Grad School) But Med School, Dentistry, Law, you name it -- Use OUAC/OSMAS Conversion chart and youll see that they make the 85 - 89 a 3.9 GPA just like McMaster.

http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart
Old 01-31-2010 at 09:33 PM   #35
hyperthermia

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycoman View Post
Getting a perfect average would put the person in the top 5% or so in their faculty and I think theres a scholarship associated with that.
Top 5%? Lol try top 0.1%.

In order to have a perfect GPA you cannot have anything on your transcript to be <12.

ps: for sessional averages it really depends on the courses you're taking and the program you're in. I really doubt there're going to be so many 12 GPA students every year from the life sciences, med rad, nursing, and engineering.
Old 01-31-2010 at 09:47 PM   #36
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperthermia View Post
Top 5%? Lol try top 0.1%.

In order to have a perfect GPA you cannot have anything on your transcript to be <12.

ps: for sessional averages it really depends on the courses you're taking and the program you're in. I really doubt there're going to be so many 12 GPA students every year from the life sciences, med rad, nursing, and engineering.

You're forgetting Soc Sci and Humanities. There are fewer of us (Humanities more so than Soc Sci) on the Dean's List than most of the other faculties.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-01-2010 at 01:11 AM   #37
aani

Liked: 9 Times

The health sci debate again? really?
The only way you'd be qualified to make an opinion on the matter if is you went through health sci for 4 years, along with another program for 4 years (having the same mindset) and then compared the two. Since you haven't, please stop making assumptions.
And to those who get 4.0 averages....you're amazing! haha