MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone get any updates from Mac since accepting? volsung First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-02-2011 11:26 PM
Accepting offer to mac? autman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 03-20-2011 10:44 PM
Do we have pay deposit when accepting offer and other OUAC questions dlee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-15-2010 11:09 AM
Called for Interview after Accepting Offer Allan Volunteering Opportunities 6 05-18-2010 11:50 AM
After accepting the offer Meg543 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 46 04-12-2009 03:50 PM

Admission Deadline After Accepting An Offer

Old 06-25-2011 at 11:42 PM   #1
woozyking

Liked: 0 Times

Admission Deadline After Accepting An Offer
Hello people.

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend of mine who is coming to Canada to attend school some time who knows when (whenever a study permit is issued).

So the question is simple: is there an absolute deadline of when you have to actually attend school after accepting the offer from certain University/College?

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:45 PM   #2
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Uhh, don't think any of the profs really care if you attend lectures or not. You'll just end up failing if you don't go to your labs/tutorials
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:48 PM   #3
woozyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Uhh, don't think any of the profs really care if you attend lectures or not. You'll just end up failing if you don't go to your labs/tutorials
No, the question is that can you accept the offer and not actually going to school but still securing the eligibility of enrolling a later school term/year?
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:48 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Except for "optional" tutorials where you aren't mark on anything.
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:52 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozyking View Post
No, the question is that can you accept the offer and not actually going to school but still securing the eligibility of enrolling a later school term/year?
As long as you pay the tuition fee, you'll be considered a mac student. Not sure if you can enroll in a later term/year if you don't go to school though seeing as you've failed the courses. You'll probably be put in probation.
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:55 PM   #6
woozyking

Quote:
As long as you pay the tuition fee, you'll be considered a mac student. Not sure if you can enroll in a later term/year if you don't go to school though seeing as you've failed the courses. You'll probably be put in probation.
It's more like not paying the tuition until the study permit is issued. My English is bad...the question was not clear to you guys
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:56 PM   #7
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozyking View Post
It's more like not paying the tuition until the study permit is issued. My English is bad...the question was not clear to you guys
If you don't pay tuition then you will be kicked off.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:57 PM   #8
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Check this: http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...eadlines.p df

maybe it'll answer your questions
Old 06-26-2011 at 12:00 AM   #9
woozyking

Alright thanks guys. I guess it's better for me to directly ask the registrar later on Monday.
Old 06-26-2011 at 12:00 AM   #10
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

First of all, ensure that the applicant has an activated MacID to deal with the following steps.

If the person has been accepted (to first-year, I'm assuming), depending on their faculty, they choose their courses the date given in this link:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...%20FINAL. pdf

Then, they're lock into those courses, and you have to confirm the payment agreement. It doesn't mean that you have to pay, it's just confirming your methods of payment.

At this point, this person is secure until the payment date given on the payment agreement.

I have a question for you though. What are his or her planned living arrangements in the upcoming school year in McMaster?

Last edited by justinsftw : 06-26-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-26-2011 at 12:09 AM   #11
woozyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
First of all, ensure that the applicant has an activated MacID to deal with the following steps.

If the person has been accepted (to first-year, I'm assuming), depending on their faculty, they choose their courses the date given in this link:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...%20FINAL. pdf

Then, they're lock into those courses, and you have to confirm the payment agreement. It doesn't mean that you have to pay, it's just confirming your methods of payment.

At this point, this person is secure until the payment date given on the payment agreement.

I have a question for you though. What are his or her planned living arrangements in the upcoming school year in McMaster?
Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure about other details of my friend's plan, the only question I was tossed at was this one because he's afraid that he might get his study permit really late.

I understand that most students on the forums wouldn't understand much about this issue because not too many, even international students, would encounter this issue
Old 06-26-2011 at 12:09 AM   #12
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

What the eff is a study permit ?

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 06-26-2011 at 12:12 AM   #13
woozyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
What the eff is a study permit ?
LOL, that's why I asked the question in the wrong place. Not too many fella international students here I guess
Old 06-26-2011 at 12:12 AM   #14
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

It's a permit that some international students require to leave their country and have an extended stay in Canada due to academic pursuits.
Old 06-26-2011 at 12:52 AM   #15
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

When you get acceptance I am sure you can defer your enrollment and keep your acceptance if that is what you are asking. You wont be enrolled as a student this year, but they will save you a spot for when you do enroll I believe.