MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sciences vs. Health Sciences IqzFendi General Discussion 7 07-03-2011 10:55 PM
life/health sciences janom93 Academics 33 12-04-2010 09:50 AM
Life sciences admission question TC0923 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 11-11-2010 10:09 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Life Sciences or Health Science? Shagana First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-17-2009 07:10 PM

Admission to McMaster (Life Sciences and Health Sciences)

Old 03-20-2012 at 10:27 PM   #16
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
What do you mean 'not applying for early acceptance'? Once you apply in the Fall you're applied for both early and regular acceptances. Students with higher averages get acceptance a few months earlier, that's the point of 'early acceptance'.

You MAY get accepted after your application has been processed after a period of time, depends on each school and their average requirements. You will of course recieve a conditional offer and will be told to maintain a certain average in order to keep your spot. If you recieved early acceptance then your second semester marks will be a part of your conditional offer average requirement. If you don't get early acceptance then your acceptances go out after your second semester mid term marks are released.
Ohh! I more so meant that if I'm not taking a second semester, have my diploma, and all of the prereqs for the program, will I not get offered conditional - just acceptance?
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:27 PM   #17
yoni

Liked: 88 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
The biomed specialization is not the same as the actual biochemistry program. There are a few courses that overlap, but overall the focuses are quite different. Think of it as a minor in biochem, as opposed to an actual biochemistry program.
ehhh i definitely wouldn't call it a minor. a minor is 24 units of biochem which includes orgo and first year chem, so you just have to take 4 more specific biochem course equivalents (12 units). biomed students have 12 units in second year alone.

we take we take pretty much the same courses as the main stream biochem people in 2nd year (minus physical chemistry, and we take the health sci bio courses instead of the bio dpmt cell bio/genetics). i agree with you that the specializations within biochem are somewhat different in focus. honestly these degrees/specializations are all just labels, you can take most of the same courses if you choose to, and go into any graduate or professional school you want to, out of any of them.
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:30 PM   #18
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by khano22 View Post
Hey,

I personally think that you are going a bit fast through high school and thinking a lot more about university than you should. Im assuming u havent even applied to universities yet, seeing that you are in grade 11.
High aspirations are good, but focus on the present, i.e. high school.

What do the rest of you guys think?
I kind of have my own reasons for applying to university early, but yes I do agree - I am putting a lot of thought into university, and stressing out over it as much as other senior students. BUT, If I have the ability to make money prior to going to university (who doesn't love money) and taking a 7 month break in between high school and university, I think it'd be more beneficial for myself. Also, fast tracking has allowed me to take more credits, less strenuously, and in a shorter period of time than the average grade 12 student - it gives me more variety, and ultimately more chance for screw ups ;P which is always nice.
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:32 PM   #19
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
ehhh i definitely wouldn't call it a minor. a minor is 24 units of biochem which includes orgo and first year chem, so you just have to take 4 more specific biochem course equivalents (12 units). biomed students have 12 units in second year alone.

we take we take pretty much the same courses as the main stream biochem people in 2nd year (minus physical chemistry, and we take the health sci bio courses instead of the bio dpmt cell bio/genetics). i agree with you that the specializations within biochem are somewhat different in focus. honestly these degrees/specializations are all just labels, you can take most of the same courses if you choose to, and go into any graduate or professional school you want to, out of any of them.
That's good to know. For myself, being able to take a variety of courses (ie; molbio, health sci, biochem, and bio) is something that keeps my eyes open, and my 'horizons broadened'.
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:36 PM   #20
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post

Sorry, I didn't mean the requirements were the same for a minor, just that it should be thought of on the same level as a minor. Health sci with biomed specialization is nowhere near the level of biochemistry you would get if you were majoring in it, which was the point I was trying to get across.
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:47 PM   #21
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
(insert shameless Biochem plug here) >.>;;
SHAMELESS. Join biochem, and you can watch Arrested Development with this guy in class.
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:49 PM   #22
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ohh! I more so meant that if I'm not taking a second semester, have my diploma, and all of the prereqs for the program, will I not get offered conditional - just acceptance?
Ohhh, I see! I'm not totally sure how that would work actually. It'd be best to contact an academic advisor from the University directly.