MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Religious Studies 2U03 ferreinm 2nd Year Course Reviews 2 06-29-2011 05:04 PM
Trade Anthro 1A03 2D for Anthro 1Z03 2E DFKMcDonough Academics 6 08-10-2010 05:18 PM
Religious Studies 2u03 AnnaWM Academics 0 06-10-2010 10:14 PM
Anthro 2U03 help! **jewel 03** Academics 5 11-03-2009 04:28 PM
Anthrop 2U03 - Plagues and People DylanKel Academics 2 12-02-2008 07:23 PM

Anthro 2U03

Anthro 2U03
Plagues and People
Published by lorend
06-15-2008
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
50%50%50%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 68%
Anthro 2U03

I really enjoyed the material for this class, and am presently still interested in Syphallis (okay, I know it sounds weird...but...it's interesting!).

However, I did not like the large class size (300ish) and complete lack of interaction with the prof (Padiak). I also didn't like the fact that the slides were gone over so quickly that writing notes was difficult.

As much as I dislike them...this course would have been much better with two hours of lecture and an hour of tutorial.

I found the marking schemes for tests unfair, and test questions confusing. I disputed my mark on one...it was the only time I have done that.

evans, kumars8, shaha22 all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Anthro 2U03!

Old 12-02-2008 at 10:14 PM   #2
DylanKel
Faculty: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 0 Times
Hmm was there any writing assignments in the course, or only tests/quizzes?
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-03-2008 at 05:59 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Only tests. When I took the class it was around 400 people. I think more-recent years were similar as it is open to all students in level II and up.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-03-2009 at 12:51 PM   #4
pk00
Program: Oncology
Year: Other

Although I found the course material and the textbook very interesting, I found the prof (Padiak) to be awful. As the original reviewer said, the marking scheme was unfair, and the midterms were far too long for the roughly 40-45 minutes we were given. I also felt that the prof did not prepare us sufficiently for the midterms/examinations. A tutorial would have been useful and would have allowed us to better engage the thought-provoking material provided in the textbook.

Old 06-10-2009 at 06:14 PM   #5
asood
Program: Kinesiology
Year: Third
Residence: Les Prince Alumn, SOCS

Liked: Liked 2 Times
What is the key to doing well in this class? attending lecures? taking good notes? reading the textbook? finding old tests?
Old 06-12-2009 at 01:13 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies

With Padiak, I honestly don't know, haha. I attended lectures, re-wrote notes, read the textbook a few times before the midterm...basically the amount of work I did should have reflected a much better grade.

However, Padiak isn't supposed to be teaching next year according to the Undergrad calender: it's the prof who designed the course several years ago (Moffat I think).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

moondancer says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-13-2009 at 09:41 AM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: 196 Times
I think Herring is teaching it this year, anyone know anything about her, like what her classes are like?
Old 06-14-2009 at 03:06 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Herring! That's who it is. She's the one who designed the course/this was her baby before she went on research leave.

Old 06-15-2009 at 07:32 PM   #9
moops
Elite Member
Program: Life Sciences

Liked: 40 Times
I agree that there's no real trick to doing well in Padiak's class. She would say that some questions are only from the slides but she writes so little on her slides and went through them way too quickly for me to write great notes. So the midterms were definitely difficult. The good thing about the course was that Padiak was very approachable. I was able to discuss my midterms with her as did several other students and mark changes did happen!

Definitely one of the most interesting second year courses to take!
Old 06-20-2009 at 10:14 AM   #10
marieeeeeee
Program: Anthropology

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I think Herring is teaching it this year, anyone know anything about her, like what her classes are like?
I had her for Anthro 1Z03 the other year, I enjoyed her class a lot (for a night class!) her tests are usually multiple choice/short and long answers. I'm actually planning on taking the course this school year.
Old 07-23-2009 at 03:55 PM   #11
Samantha
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Does this course involve a lot of science? like in the biology of it?
Old 07-23-2009 at 05:59 PM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

This damn class is so full all the time, I really wanted to take it too. ;_;
Old 08-03-2009 at 09:26 PM   #13
aurry
Program: Biology

Liked: Liked 3 Times
I am in Biology and so people in Anthropology may not agree with my review and should not necessarily take heed.

This was by far the best course I have ever taken at McMaster and I recommend it to everyone. It was a 9:30 am course when I took it, and I did not miss a single lecture, just because I was so interested in the material. The knowledge that I learned in that class helped me out a lot in other biology courses, I still remember everything I learned and can often relate back to the material in conversations I have with people.

I personally loved Dr. Padiak as a teacher. She stumbled over her words sometimes, but that just made me see her as a real person. I also thought her test questions were very predictable, and I'm sad she isn't at McMaster anymore.

For biology students: This course is your secret holy grail. Its easy in the way that it is a) interesting b) not a lot of work is required (or it dosen't feel like a lot of work) c) its the history of diseases you already know about/can understand the basic biology behind easily d) will give you a HUGE advantage in other biology classes, especially if you're taking microbiology/medical microbiology. Anthropology is the social part of the science. It gives you the history and the human impact of the biology that I know you love which gives you the bigger picture. And what is better then that?

My only wishes for the class was that I wish there had been tutorials and a take-home paper or presentation, for independent research, instead of an in-class essay-midterm (there were two other multiple choice/short answer midterms as well)

But yeah, great course =)
Old 08-03-2009 at 11:17 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

^ DR. PADIAK ISN'T AT MAC ANYMORE?! Wtf. Damn..
Old 06-11-2010 at 12:12 PM   #15
kammy435
Faculty: Arts & Science

I took this course with Herring last year and I have to say it was one of the courses I have most enjoyed while at Mac!!
The information is EXTREMELY interesting. Its not very biology based...but you do learn about the biological aspect of the diseases that are discussed. However it isn't necessary to be a biology or science student to do well in this course.
Some of the diseases we talked about were Smallpox, Syphilis and Influenza. We watched movies on certain days which were very interesting.
There were no assignments, just 3 tests and a final. The midterms included T/F, M/C, Short answer which were mostly definitions and one long answer question..but you always had a choice for the short answer and long answer (ie 6 out of 8 or 2 out of 3).
The prof was REALLY good. She went at a steady pace and we usually covered a specific disease for a week (so approx 3 lectures for each one). She did require you to read the text because it was fair game for the tests. I even found the book interesting, it wasn't dry and sometimes you got really into it and it didn't seem like a chore to have to read and make notes.
Overall, I would DEFINITELY recommend this course. I did not find one point in the course where I thought the info/lectures were boring and that made me want to study for this course even more. GREAT COURSE!!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search