MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour B.A. canada90 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-01-2010 03:21 PM
Honours Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour questions. Nyqtussin2 Academics 4 06-05-2010 10:40 AM
Summer Orientation Program Guides new first year students! Lizz87 MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-24-2009 09:38 AM
HYPE! Summer Transition Program for Students with Disabilties MacTrans MSU & On-Campus Services 2 05-23-2009 07:37 PM

For any or all students taking psychology, neuroscience and behavior program (B.A)

Old 01-29-2011 at 04:32 PM   #16
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Also, don't worry about "enjoying life while you can" - as long as you can manage your time efficiently (or even if you can't) most people manage to do nothing most of the day and work for a few hours in the evening and still do moderately well in University.

IWannaGohere, Mahratta like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 04:51 PM   #17
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Don't worry about it being too hard, I'm the dumbest person EVER at math, and I still managed to do alright.

Also, try to take MATH 1K03 (aka Grade 12 Calc) in grade 12.
1/ it's easier, for sure
2/ It's FREEE. Definitely don't want to spend like $500 on a course you easily could have taken in high school.

& don't worry about people telling you to calm down, I think it's great that you're planning ahead and figuring out what courses you need. Props to you

IWannaGohere says thanks to xo.monica for this post.

IWannaGohere likes this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 05:03 PM   #18
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Basic rule imo is that unless you're in a math program and taking specific math courses, mathematics in university will never be too difficult
I think this is pretty valid - most math for non-math students is 'computational', that is to say, you just need to learn a couple of methods, and not really much more. For certain topics in physics, you do need a bit outside of the typical computational branches of mathematics (for example, there's a good deal of group theory in some parts of theoretical physics), but it's doubtful that this sort of physics would be at the undergrad level anyway, so...

In other words: regardless of the volume of tears shed by engineers, partial differential equations aren't that bad (well, they can be, but engineers don't deal with the ugly ones). Now, if you see applied mathematicians crying about PDEs, you should probably stay away.

Old 01-29-2011 at 06:59 PM   #19
IWannaGohere

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Don't worry about it being too hard, I'm the dumbest person EVER at math, and I still managed to do alright.

Also, try to take MATH 1K03 (aka Grade 12 Calc) in grade 12.
1/ it's easier, for sure
2/ It's FREEE. Definitely don't want to spend like $500 on a course you easily could have taken in high school.

& don't worry about people telling you to calm down, I think it's great that you're planning ahead and figuring out what courses you need. Props to you
thank you very much you and a few other people on this forum has really open my eyes to the possibilities, it's great to see how mac kids here r so honest and open to helping others

xo.monica says thanks to IWannaGohere for this post.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 07:02 PM   #20
IWannaGohere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I think this is pretty valid - most math for non-math students is 'computational', that is to say, you just need to learn a couple of methods, and not really much more. For certain topics in physics, you do need a bit outside of the typical computational branches of mathematics (for example, there's a good deal of group theory in some parts of theoretical physics), but it's doubtful that this sort of physics would be at the undergrad level anyway, so...

In other words: regardless of the volume of tears shed by engineers, partial differential equations aren't that bad (well, they can be, but engineers don't deal with the ugly ones). Now, if you see applied mathematicians crying about PDEs, you should probably stay away.
????? Dude I am only 16 lmao i didn't understand a single word you said in that paragraph :( do u mind repeating..... in english
Old 01-29-2011 at 07:09 PM   #21
IWannaGohere

btw just random, but just like in high school where u take 8 courses a year how many courses a year do you take in university
Old 01-29-2011 at 07:10 PM   #22
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaGohere View Post
btw just random, but just like in high school where u take 8 courses a year how many courses a year do you take in university
If you're a regular full time student, you take 5 courses a term/semester, so 10 a year (30 units).

Old 01-29-2011 at 07:13 PM   #23
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
????? Dude I am only 16 lmao i didn't understand a single word you said in that paragraph :( do u mind repeating..... in english
Your math should be pretty easy, uh, shit... uh, dude.

Old 01-29-2011 at 07:16 PM   #24
IWannaGohere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
If you're a regular full time student, you take 5 courses a term/semester, so 10 a year (30 units).
and the courses that are pre requisite like PSYCH 1XX0 for example for year II do we pay for or is it the elective courses we pay for
Old 01-29-2011 at 07:20 PM   #25
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
and the courses that are pre requisite like PSYCH 1XX0 for example for year II do we pay for or is it the elective courses we pay for
You pay for every course you take at McMaster, or any school, for that matter.
The only thing that differs is the amount - average cost is $500 a course, I think, but that depends on which faculty it belongs to. Engineering courses are more expensive due to use of labs, equipment and all that other stuff.

So yeah, you pay for every course, whether it's required or an electivee

Old 01-29-2011 at 07:23 PM   #26
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
You pay for all courses that have any number at the end besides zero.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

IWannaGohere says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 01-29-2011 at 07:25 PM   #27
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
You pay for all courses that have any number at the end besides zero.
Yep! The only courses that would end in a 0, though, are like co-op preparation courses that last 6-8 weeks, I believe, or just stuff like that.

Also, I think the OP meant PSYCH 1XX3, not PSYCH 1XX0.

Old 02-12-2011 at 10:50 AM   #28
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Something else to consider, is that Grade 12 math (in particular calculus) is considered by most students to be easier than grade 11 math. Not in terms of material, but marks generally go up.

This is likely because the expectations from grade 10 to grade 11 jump quite a bit, but grade 11 to grade 12 isn't as drastic.
Old 02-12-2011 at 10:54 AM   #29
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times

I'm in Honours BioPsych (so I'm earning a BSc not a BA) and I've only taken one math course in first year not too big of a deal. You need to take Statistics though which isn't bad either . Just take Grade 12 calculus and make it easier for yourself and if you take something like Data Management (which is what it was called at my school) it might help you with stats as well.