MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
easy social science electives? Joyceyblank Academics 2 12-14-2011 05:37 PM
Easy electives steve315 Academics 4 07-25-2011 08:09 PM
which electives are easy luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-02-2010 08:54 AM
Easy electives siefer1322 Academics 13 06-10-2010 10:39 PM
Good Political Science Electives heavenlyspot General Discussion 2 07-13-2009 09:44 AM

Any (easy/good) non-science electives?

Old 05-08-2012 at 04:00 PM   #1
fernancb

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Any (easy/good) non-science electives?
Hey,
I'm going into my 3rd year of Bio-Psych (Science) and I'm stumped as to what courses to take as electives. Could use some help there . Preferably, an easy course with not too much work that is not from the faculty of science?

Thanks a bunch
Old 05-08-2012 at 04:32 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernancb View Post
Hey,
I'm going into my 3rd year of Bio-Psych (Science) and I'm stumped as to what courses to take as electives. Could use some help there . Preferably, an easy course with not too much work that is not from the faculty of science?

Thanks a bunch
You should probably also state what you are interested in... And difficulty is subjective.

I found Philosophy 2D03 very interesting and easy to get a great mark. You basically write essays arguing your point.
Old 05-08-2012 at 05:45 PM   #3
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

I LOVE anthro, try taking a first year anthro/socio course. Or history/classics

Or like everyone else takes, econ. But personally I prefer anthro, classics and history.

fernancb says thanks to drpatel for this post.

fernancb, sayok8737 like this.
Old 05-08-2012 at 05:53 PM   #4
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You should probably also state what you are interested in... And difficulty is subjective.

I found Philosophy 2D03 very interesting and easy to get a great mark. You basically write essays arguing your point.
I took Philosophy 2D03 as well. Not only did I find it pretty dull, but it was very hard to get a good mark when I took it. No one in my tutorial or in any other tutorial in which I knew someone got above a B+ on either of the two essays. My TA would ask us questions about the material, tell us that we were "sort of right, but not really," and when we would ask what we said wrong, he wouldn't really be asble to say anything, leaving us all extremely perplexed. The prof (Rodde) was a really nice guy and he was a good lecturer, but that doesn't make up for all the other flaws of the course.

I would recommend intro linguistics (1A03/1AA3). The prof teaching it this year (Anderson) is an excellent lecturer -- I've had her for a couple upper-level courses. While I found her tests really difficult, I 12ed both of her courses. But seeing as it's an intro course (and thus is less writing-based/experiment-focused than the ones that I took with her), it would probably be quite easy. Out of the two semesters, I liked 1AA3 the best, but 1A03 is a prerequisite for 1AA3.
Old 05-08-2012 at 06:23 PM   #5
karna

Liked: 28 Times

Econ 2D03
Econ 2J03
Econ 2H03
Sanskrit 3a06
Old 05-08-2012 at 07:01 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
I took Philosophy 2D03 as well. Not only did I find it pretty dull, but it was very hard to get a good mark when I took it. No one in my tutorial or in any other tutorial in which I knew someone got above a B+ on either of the two essays. My TA would ask us questions about the material, tell us that we were "sort of right, but not really," and when we would ask what we said wrong, he wouldn't really be asble to say anything, leaving us all extremely perplexed. The prof (Rodde) was a really nice guy and he was a good lecturer, but that doesn't make up for all the other flaws of the course.

I would recommend intro linguistics (1A03/1AA3). The prof teaching it this year (Anderson) is an excellent lecturer -- I've had her for a couple upper-level courses. While I found her tests really difficult, I 12ed both of her courses. But seeing as it's an intro course (and thus is less writing-based/experiment-focused than the ones that I took with her), it would probably be quite easy. Out of the two semesters, I liked 1AA3 the best, but 1A03 is a prerequisite for 1AA3.
Wow, that TA doesn't sound like a good one at all. There's no right or wrong in this course... It's ethics. Any position is valid as long as it's well supported by valid arguments. If your arguments have holes or there are counter-arguments you didn't account for then your position is less valid. It's unfortunate that this TA seemed to be biased in his grading.
Old 05-09-2012 at 09:18 AM   #7
fernancb

Liked: Liked 4 Times

So i guess if I wanted to take a non-science subject, say Anthro, no matter what, I'm going to be writing essays? Is there any course that does NOT require essays :(
Old 05-09-2012 at 10:19 AM   #8
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
So i guess if I wanted to take a non-science subject, say Anthro, no matter what, I'm going to be writing essays? Is there any course that does NOT require essays :(
Economics? (12 char)
Old 05-09-2012 at 10:47 AM   #9
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

I liked econ 1b03, im taking econ 1bb3 next year, they are a bit of work as anything in uni is but nothing too crazy.
Old 05-09-2012 at 04:52 PM   #10
Flash AhhAhh

If you're good at memorization and languages first year Latin is an easy 10+ elective. Latin is awesome too, great at parties, exorcisms, birthdays. But for srs, It wasn't much work except keeping up with the weeks lessons and vocab, which was all pretty simple. No essays or assignments, just in-class midterms and the final. The class size *should* be small so you'll get to know your prof and easily approach if you need help or have questions. I really enjoyed first year latin and if my schedule lets me (and if the school lets me) I'd like to keep taking it and minor.
Old 05-09-2012 at 07:53 PM   #11
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Linguistics has no essays. Just easy weekly assignments, 1 midterm, and a final.
Old 05-09-2012 at 10:28 PM   #12
cdcameron

Liked: 1 Time

Take Anthropology 2G03. It is a comparative mythology class that would be better titled "story time". You read myths and regurgitate what you read on a series of 5 tests. Definitely an easy 12.

fernancb likes this.
Old 05-09-2012 at 11:33 PM   #13
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Econ 2D03. Seriously, this course is a joke.
Old 05-10-2012 at 10:03 AM   #14
Flash AhhAhh

Quote:
Latin

Doooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo it
Old 05-10-2012 at 10:28 AM   #15
karna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
Econ 2D03. Seriously, this course is a joke.
true. its hard to get less than 11 in this course. And same with Econ 2J03.