MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chatr LAUNCHED! (New provider) blackdragon Computers & Tech 64 09-05-2010 05:15 AM
Proud Hamilton Hunt - Win an iPad! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-16-2010 10:01 AM
Reviews System Launched Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-16-2008 06:05 PM

Apple launched the iPad

Old 01-27-2010 at 05:24 PM   #31
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

oh, and did I tell you it's resolution?

1024 x 768 (4:3)?? WHAT?
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:26 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
oh, and did I tell you it's resolution?

1024 x 768 (4:3)?? WHAT?
YUCK, LOL.

Omg, lol. I'm stuck on 1024x768 cause I have to use my TV as a monitor and it's HORRIBLE. ._.

(Some of the stuff is missing from my desktop b/c there's not enough room to show every icon, LOL)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-27-2010 at 05:28 PM   #33
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Its the first gen of a new product. I dont think they'll be disappointed. When I worked for Apple, I talked to people everyday that were professional artists in all respects (I talked to people from Skywalker Ranch, Dreamworks, and too many music production companies to count), and one thing they all had in common was they NEVER bought a first gen product, so the kinks could be worked out by others before they dropped their money on it.
Apple corporate or retail?
Old 01-27-2010 at 06:10 PM   #34
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

pfft. iPad...nothing to get excited about. SixthSense on the other hand...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUdDhWfpqxg

For those in a hurry start at 1:50 but I encourage you to watch the whole video demonstration.

Amazing tech!
Old 01-27-2010 at 06:13 PM   #35
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

If anyone is interested seeing it hands on

http://i.gizmodo.com/5457757/apple-i...yline=true&s=i
Old 01-27-2010 at 06:25 PM   #36
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
pfft. iPad...nothing to get excited about. SixthSense on the other hand...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUdDhWfpqxg

For those in a hurry start at 1:50 but I encourage you to watch the whole video demonstration.

Amazing tech!
Coolest thing ever! And your post was very timely. Around 5 pm this evening I overheard some people talking about this at the Gould Trading Floor, but didn't catch what it was called. This is amazing.
Old 01-27-2010 at 06:54 PM   #37
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
I found this comment somewhere else and found it funny.

"Just yesterday I was looking at my iPhone thinking "Hmmm, I wish this thing didn't fit in my pocket." Then I looked over to my netbook and couldn't help but feel it would benefit from losing the keyboard and being made of 50% glass.
Finally apple gives me what I wish."
I was actually looking for a netbook/tablet combo for note taking next year (I love typing my notes, but I need something touchscreen to take suitable Chem, BioChem, and Math notes). I had my eye on the iSlate as an option, but this is a joke. The best thing about it is the battery life. Netbooks are better for notetaking and functionality at a lower price, E-book readers are better for books at a lower price, and the iPod Touch offers all the same functionality with much more portability. I really cannot see the point of this device...
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:07 PM   #38
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

The iPad is a piece of good looking crap.

1st) They don't run OSX on it because it isn't powerful enough
2nd) No USB, No Camera, apparently no Flash Support
3rd) No optional stylus for drawing or sketching which is a huge downside, even in econ i often stop using my laptops for graphs and quick formulas with mucht oo much alternating sub and super script.

The only good things about it:

1) Batteyr life
2) Case which folds to position which allows comfortable tiled typing and another position standing up for watching

Way to fail on your new device Apple.

Also, it's small like crap. Think about it. By making it actually the size of a normal laptop screen around 13 inches, there would be a nicer and bigger screen, and they could fit more components, for example a usb port and a camera. but they're dumb. I wish Microsoft would work with someone and bring out a brand new one that did this properly.

Although people say they liked that its not trying to rpelace the laptop, they should have tried that instead. People with a laptop and a phone are not going to buy this unless they're stupid or have mounds of money to waste. Now, if it was larger, had USB, and a camera, and maybe with that extra space form making the screen larger, it had a slightly beter processor, I would buy it in a second and replace my laptop, even though I dislike Apple products in general.

lawleypop, SciMania like this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:10 PM   #39
knox

Liked: 15 Times

I'm not a fan of reading things on the computer, and for that price you can get a pretty nice lap top.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:10 PM   #40
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
The only thing I think I like about it is the e-book part, other than that...I think I'd rather stick to my iPod touch.
If you like the idea of the e-book you can get the Amazon Kindle app for free from itunes and then buy digital books from Amazon.com and just read them on your iPod Touch. I've had the Kindle app for about a month and I'm completely in love with it.

marieeeeeee says thanks to mac-gal for this post.

sniderj likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:12 PM   #41
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I'm going to stress this again... you people are looking for computers and this is why you are disappointed. It's not a computer. It's a multimedia device. People are already saying that its main success will be found in the ebook market... that's where they are saying it will be revolutionary.

Only time will tell.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:14 PM   #42
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
Lol, man I don't know where you've been, but its January 27th today... This is it for Apple stuff until June.

As for the keyboard, you can lay the device kinda flat and type like a normal keyboard. There's also a peripheral coming out that docks the device in portrait mode and has a physical keyboard.
not true, apple has done silent updates, or called media events, i remember one time they updated the macbooks, to a faster processor speed without any notification and they could call a media event. I expect the macbooks to recieve a processor upgrade by the end of next month to the i3, i5 and hopefully i7 processors.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:21 PM   #43
knox

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post

Amazing tech!
I'd look like a fool googling toilet paper brands, may as well wear a camera/projector/mirror combo around my neck and put rubber colours on my fingers to avoid this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:22 PM   #44
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I'm going to stress this again... you people are looking for computers and this is why you are disappointed. It's not a computer. It's a multimedia device. People are already saying that its main success will be found in the ebook market... that's where they are saying it will be revolutionary.

Only time will tell.
Of course I'm looking for a god damned computer, why do I need another screen to use? How am I going to use its productivity suite if I can't easily usb something over from/to my laptop, if its not supposed to replace my laptop.

Oooh! I can view the wall street journal on a bigger screen. Whoop de do.

By the way, I'm not mad at you Ben, I'm mad at Apple and Mr. Douche Jobs
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:25 PM   #45
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post

Only time will tell.
Yea, I still don't see the point.

multimedia device = laptop. At least in my eyes.

And I don't get this e-reading crap. Who the hell can stare that long at a computer screen?

I'll be the first one to say that I spend an unbelievable amount of time on my laptop, but if I'm actually READING something straight for a while, I get massive headaches and my eyes get strained.

Not a selling point to me.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.