MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
asking prof to pass u? sana.banana Academics 11 12-16-2010 04:04 PM
Mac pass ? sayok8737 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-18-2010 01:54 PM
Bus Pass Opt-Out thirdyearboy General Discussion 60 10-21-2009 10:01 AM
Bus Pass Goce General Discussion 27 08-31-2009 06:03 PM
Mac Pass Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-31-2008 08:48 PM

Ask Prof for a pass.

Old 04-14-2011 at 12:21 PM   #1
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

Ask Prof for a pass.
I'm not really sure how I did on my math exam. So I was wondering if anybody has ever asked their prof to pass them in the course? I already have to take a hefty courseload in the summer, and I dont want to add to it.

If yes, please tell me how you went about it.

thanks.
Old 04-14-2011 at 04:46 PM   #2
mickey2012

Liked: 10 Times

You just have to contact your prof personally and give him/her really a good reason why you did bad or why you must pass this course (e.g. if you're grauduating this term (but you're not)).

It also depends on how bad you did. If your final mark is 49, they might bump you up a little to make it 50, but if your final mark 46, tough luck.
Old 04-14-2011 at 05:40 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

If its first year math, it will get bell-curved.

Also, email prof and see if they give you your final mark with exam, you might have passed even without a bellcurve
Old 04-15-2011 at 02:16 AM   #4
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2012 View Post
You just have to contact your prof personally and give him/her really a good reason why you did bad or why you must pass this course (e.g. if you're grauduating this term (but you're not)).

It also depends on how bad you did. If your final mark is 49, they might bump you up a little to make it 50, but if your final mark 46, tough luck.
Most profs will bump you up to 1 even if you are at ~45%. Unless they hate you for some reason.

@OP

E-mail the prof to find out how close you were to a pass (assuming you fail), then present a good case why you should be passed.
Old 04-15-2011 at 08:37 AM   #5
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times

I just had an exam yesterday and I'm in a similar situation. Should I email the prof soon,explain to him the situation and ask him to inform me my mark when the exams are marked or should I wait until after the the grades actually show up on my grade report?
Old 04-15-2011 at 09:42 AM   #6
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOeeOm View Post
Most profs will bump you up to 1 even if you are at ~45%. Unless they hate you for some reason.

@OP

E-mail the prof to find out how close you were to a pass (assuming you fail), then present a good case why you should be passed.
Are you talking here from personal experience or do you have any sources/references to know this? lol

Pretty much I want to believe you but I need a reason to believe you.
Old 04-15-2011 at 09:58 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_kumar View Post
I'm not really sure how I did on my math exam. So I was wondering if anybody has ever asked their prof to pass them in the course? I already have to take a hefty courseload in the summer, and I dont want to add to it.

If yes, please tell me how you went about it.

thanks.
If your reactor containment chamber fails inspection, will you ask for a pass?

AmyLia, Kathy2 like this.
Old 04-15-2011 at 11:17 AM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Maybe it's different in Math/Engineering, but I don't think many profs will pass you just because. It would be different if you're in your final year and you need to grade for graduating or grad school, but otherwise, I'm not as optimistic as others on this thread.

It doesn't hurt to ask. But if you have that prof again in a smaller class, it might be a little uncomfortable.
Old 04-15-2011 at 12:48 PM   #9
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Maybe im too into following the rules.. but asking for a pass sounds so ridiculous to me!
If your marks are suffering so much that you are even in this position,, you should have met with the prof to discuss ways you can improve/ if there is some sort of assessment they will allow you to do to redeem yourself WAY before now(the end of the term at exam season!!)

If its because your exam was worth a significant amount ( ive had some worth 50 and 60% of my grade) where your performance on the exam has the potential to determine bascially if you pass/fail the course... then that slightly differnt but even still.. if you do THAT poorly on the exam ..you clearly dont understand the material enough to pass the class

unless you had some significant event happen to you (althought in which case you likely would have discussed this with the dean of your faculty or someone and your exam would likely have be deffered) then I really dont see how this is justifiable.... or why a prof would even consider it if they had somone ask them to do that!

(asking for feedback on the exam to have a heads up on what to expect on your status of passing/failing makes sense .. but not like you can do much to change it anyway)

some profs do consider how you do on the final compared to the other assessments throughout the year and if youve shown significant improvement and have displayed that you do understand the material yet still arent at a grade level to pass ( but youre pretty close) then they might help you out. But thats kinda rare because it depends on the type of persno the prof is.

but overall... ASKING for the pass is a ridiculous thought to me!

Last edited by guest_295 : 04-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2011 at 02:02 PM   #10
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
Are you talking here from personal experience or do you have any sources/references to know this? lol

Pretty much I want to believe you but I need a reason to believe you.
Personal experience

Last edited by mOeeOm : 04-15-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2011 at 02:02 PM   #11
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakovski View Post
Maybe im too into following the rules.. but asking for a pass sounds so ridiculous to me!
If your marks are suffering so much that you are even in this position,, you should have met with the prof to discuss ways you can improve/ if there is some sort of assessment they will allow you to do to redeem yourself WAY before now(the end of the term at exam season!!)

If its because your exam was worth a significant amount ( ive had some worth 50 and 60% of my grade) where your performance on the exam has the potential to determine bascially if you pass/fail the course... then that slightly differnt but even still.. if you do THAT poorly on the exam ..you clearly dont understand the material enough to pass the class

unless you had some significant event happen to you (althought in which case you likely would have discussed this with the dean of your faculty or someone and your exam would likely have be deffered) then I really dont see how this is justifiable.... or why a prof would even consider it if they had somone ask them to do that!

(asking for feedback on the exam to have a heads up on what to expect on your status of passing/failing makes sense .. but not like you can do much to change it anyway)

some profs do consider how you do on the final compared to the other assessments throughout the year and if youve shown significant improvement and have displayed that you do understand the material yet still arent at a grade level to pass ( but youre pretty close) then they might help you out. But thats kinda rare because it depends on the type of persno the prof is.

but overall... ASKING for the pass is a ridiculous thought to me!

I agree that asking for a pass when it is truly undeserved is kind of cheating in a way...however, having been in first year math unlike the oblivious poster quoted above, and knowing what the course load can be like, I can understand how one's math mark may have slipped through the cracks.

I would try to find out when the math exam marks will be ready by and if you didn't pass, then start worrying about it. I remember they always bell curved math in my years because the averages were so incredibly low.
I've heard in recent years the profs have been meaner and the tests have been increasingly irrelevant to the material presented though, so they may be meaner when it comes to bell curving too.
As far as I know though, begging for a pass (unless you literally have 49) won't get you anywhere...

As for those who've never been in engineering, and can't understand why one's marks would be so low, please keep your rants to yourself and kindly shut up.

Last edited by AmyLia : 04-15-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2011 at 02:07 PM   #12
AmyLia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Maybe it's different in Math/Engineering, but I don't think many profs will pass you just because. It would be different if you're in your final year and you need to grade for graduating or grad school, but otherwise, I'm not as optimistic as others on this thread.

It doesn't hurt to ask. But if you have that prof again in a smaller class, it might be a little uncomfortable.

Chances are almost 0 that you will ever have this prof again...unless the universe really hates you and he ends up teaching 2nd year math next year =P
Either way, the class sizes will still be huge.
Old 04-15-2011 at 02:18 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
Chances are almost 0 that you will ever have this prof again...unless the universe really hates you and he ends up teaching 2nd year math next year =P
Either way, the class sizes will still be huge.
I've had lots of my first and second year profs in smaller third and fourth year classes. Maybe Soc Sci is different than Eng though.
Old 04-15-2011 at 02:26 PM   #14
AmyLia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I've had lots of my first and second year profs in smaller third and fourth year classes. Maybe Soc Sci is different than Eng though.
In this respect, yea. Because the math profs are part of the math dept and aside from having them for more math, they don't teach upper level engineering courses.

Also, if that's your puppy in your dp, it's adorable!!
Old 04-15-2011 at 02:39 PM   #15
Kathy2
Elite Member

It's not. He is cute though!