Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Indigenous Studies 3CC3 lorend 3rd Year Course Reviews 1 05-01-2011 03:12 PM
Indigenous Studies 2B03 lorend 2nd Year Course Reviews 3 05-01-2011 03:07 PM
Indigenous Studies 3K03 lorend 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 04-21-2010 09:46 PM
Indigenous Studies Chad Academics 3 01-09-2009 09:11 AM

The Benefits of Taking Indigenous Studies Classes at McMaster

The Benefits of Taking Indigenous Studies Classes at McMaster

BY DANIELLE LORENZ, MACINSIDERS

Most people do not know the significance of RCAP, Ipperwash, Bill C-31, The Royal Proclamation of 1763, The Haldimand Proclamation, potlatches, The Haudenosaunee Confederacy, Phil Fontaine, the 1969 White Paper, or the conflict of Kahnesatake/Oka and how they impact Canadian society in the present. Furthermore, most individuals do not know what the differences are between Métis, Inuit and First Nations people in Canada. The reasons why Canadians lack this knowledge is because we are simply not taught it: Indigenous people in Canada are treated like one homogeneous group that fit the stereotypes of either the “Drunk Indian” or the “Noble Savage”, and this viewpoint is found in the media as well as many textbooks. These two stereotypes are incorrect, as is the assumption that all Native nations and tribes are the same. For the most part, the history of Canada that is taught through the elementary to post-secondary level is entirely from the perspective of the countries that colonized Canada; which is problematic, because there is a lot of history that the average Canadian should know and presently does not.

The best way to remedy this at the University-level is to take Indigenous Studies classes offered through either an Indigenous Studies Program or Department. Nearly all universities in Canada offer at least a small undergraduate program and McMaster is no exception to this. For 2009-2010 there are 11 courses offered through the Indigenous Studies Program at Mac, in addition to three Indigenous languages. If you are looking for an elective course this year, I highly suggest taking one offered by ISP: I added five Indigenous Studies courses to my timetable last year, three of which on a whim, and I can honestly say I learned a great deal in all of them.

I also recently spoke to Hayden King, one of the Indigenous Studies professors at McMaster, and asked him some questions about the benefits of non-Native students taking Indigenous Studies classes.

What is the biggest misconception about the Native population in Canada?
The biggest misconception? That’s tough to answer – because Native peoples are on the periphery of our public consciousness, the majority of Canadians hold nothing but erroneous perceptions. Though I think the most pervasive misconceptions are of Indigenous peoples as lawless or as dependant. Indeed, It seems that the only coverage in the mainstream media relates to poverty (and thus government ‘hand-outs’) or blockades (which leads to ironic notions of Indians being outside Canadian law).

Do you believe that the majority of the Canadian population is well-versed in Indigenous issues and history? Why do you think this is (or is not)?
Absolutely not. Teaching Indigenous Studies really highlights the profound ignorance that permeates the classroom (initially). I think the same situation exists in society generally, probably worse, in fact.

The current situation no doubt has its roots in the early European settlement of Canada. As the influence of Indigenous peoples waned in the late 18th, early 19th century, Canada did its best to ignore Indians – isolating them, marginalizing them economically and politically through legislation and attempting to forget they exist.

So as institutions were developed, Indigenous peoples were left out (and their own institutions destroyed). This continued into the modern era, probably until the 1960’s, when it became legal for Indigenous peoples to organize, hire a lawyer, vote, sneeze, etc.

So for 250 years, Indigenous people were invisible. Thus the ignorance of Canadians.

What can people learn from Indigenous Studies classes?

All kinds of things – our courses are pretty diverse, from the Indigenous pre-Med classes to Indigenous Literatures and Traditional Ecological Knowledge to the History of Indigenous Peoples Sovereignty. Of course, our first year introductory courses (historical and contemporary Indigenous studies) are pretty popular.

Generally though, I think students can learn a lot. They can learn about the accomplishments and contributions Indigenous peoples have made to global society, they can learn that Indigenous peoples in North America survived the world’s worst holocaust, they can learn about the true history of Canada - not as peaceful (or dull) as commonly thought, and they can learn that, today, while challenges exist – Indigenous peoples are more than just their ‘issues’.

What is the benefit of Indigenous Studies programs and classes in the university setting for Indigenous individuals? How does that differ (if at all) from the gains of non-Native students?
I think having an Indigenous Studies Programme (and hopefully department one day) has a tremendous positive influence on Indigenous students. It gives them an anchor in what can sometimes be an unfamiliar setting and provides a space for them to be Cayuga or Cree or Ojibwe.

In terms of course content, I think the ISP program strives to provide something for Indigenous students to identify with – the university setting is culturally sensitive to Canadians but that doesn’t necessarily include Indigenous peoples. I’ve had some of my Native students tell me about their political science professor who said, “Native peoples didn’t have organized governance structures” or sociology professors that claimed, “the world has never seen a matrilineal society”. Of course, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy was one of the most sophisticated governments in the history of the world and Nations like the Wet’suwet’en (among many others) are matrilineal. So at ISP we provide a small degree of balance and try to insert Indigenous peoples into the dominant discourse. This helps Indigenous students understand the truth about themselves.

This differs for non-Indigenous students but not to a great degree. After all, the majority of my students are non-Native. They get the same content but may process if differently. Generally what we hope to impart finds parity between both groups - that’s an education.

Do you think the ultimate goal for Indigenous Studies programs is to promote Indigenous Studies and history to the Canadian University population in a hope to remove some of the existing stereotypes and prejudices that exist against Native people?
I’m not sure that is the ultimate goal – the ultimate goal, I think, is to develop a rigorous Indigenous research agenda and teaching pedagogies that belong alongside any department elsewhere in the university. But in that pursuit, one of the goals is to promote social justice for Indigenous peoples. That begins with breaking down stereotypes and crushing the mainstream narrative of Indigenous peoples.

When this generation of students who have taken Indigenous Studies classes is appointed to positions of power (in political, social justice and advocacy organizations for example), do you think this will have a difference on how Native people are accepted in society as a whole and will encounter less obstacles when it comes to self-determination issues?
I think we'll be getting closer. It’s always rewarding when a student tells me that he or she is deciding to pursue Indigenous law after university or their research interests in graduate school will focus on Indigenous peoples; even if it is as simple as correcting their friends in conversation about racist attitudes - all that makes a difference. But I think we still have a long way to go.

What are the greatest challenges facing Indigenous Studies programs in Canada? What do these programs need to do to be more utilized by the University population?
I can't really speak for programs elsewhere but at Mac there are a few challenges - I think we're a pretty fringe area so we don't receive a lot of attention, support and enrollment. We only have two full-time faculty members and no tenure track positions. We always wonder if we’ll have enough money to operate year to year and often have to battle to move our classes when they get scheduled on Mondays at 830am (which happens every year).

In addition, the design and methods of education practiced at universities (the classroom, teacher-student relationship, grading) differs from notions of learning among a lot of Indigenous peoples.

But in contrast, we have our own little library, a lounge and computers for students, a photocopier, a stapler - so that’s something.

To be fair, I d think that things are changing at Mac for the better - we have a supportive administration (for a change) and things are looking up.

Why do you think there are not many post-graduate programs in Indigenous Studies?
Well, most Indigenous Studies programs are still carving space out at universities. As they develop and grow, graduate studies will follow. That being said, there are graduate programs that do exist at a few schools and as far as I know, they're producing excellent academics.

But I'm not sure the goal is always graduate programs. Yesterday, McMaster announced the creation of the Ogweho:weh Language Diploma which will offer a degree in Haudenosaunee languages. This is a collaboration between Six Nations, McMaster and the Indigenous Studies Programme and something that will make a big difference in helping to revive Haudenosaunee culture.

daisy, sinthusized all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-11-2009 at 04:35 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member
Program: Anthropology
Year: Other

Liked: 98 Times
My friend took Indigenous Studies 1aa3 and really enjoyed the course. She always talked about it and I never knew a lot of the things she discussed. lol there are lots of 1st year courses i want to take
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-11-2009 at 04:41 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
If you get permission you can take the upper year courses as well. Email the Undergrad Advisor (Ron (Deganadus) McLester: [email protected] cmaster.ca), and he'll let you know what you need to do.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-14-2009 at 05:56 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies

Yay! I'm taking 21 units of ISP classes next year!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-15-2009 at 01:56 AM   #5
Slania
Program: English + Indigenous Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
Great article I loved the Indig st. 1AA3 class I took, it was really informative and Prof. Hayden King is awesome.
Old 06-15-2009 at 10:43 AM   #6
Alvand
Program: Business
Year: Third

Liked: 39 Times
Great article Lorend! This is really informative, and while I have been thinking of taking a ISP course this upcoming year, I will look into it deeper.

If I were to take one first-year course, which would you recommend?

According to the course descriptions, it seems like 1A03 discusses Indigenous people�s world before colonization, and 1AA3 discusses life after.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Last edited by Alvand : 06-15-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2009 at 12:53 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I havent' taken either of 1A03 or 1AA3, so I can't really give you much information on either, I'm afraid. But yes, 1AA3 focuses more on post-contact issues, with residential schools being a large one.

You could also email Prof. King and ask him, as he teaches both. His email is [email protected]

Old 06-30-2009 at 10:27 PM   #8
MelissaL
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
Hey, does anyone have a course outline/review for Indig St 1A03?

Article Tools