MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-02-2010 at 03:06 PM   #1
killza
Program: Biopsych
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 105 Times
best exercise = clean and jerk?
Hey, this is a question mostly directed to the people who work out pretty intensely (ie, anyone on varsity teams). I'm wondering what work out routine you have and what kind of workout would increase overall test levels w/o steroids or crazy supplements. Thanks!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Add negative rating0Add positive rank
Old 07-02-2010 at 05:58 PM   #2
Bobby66
was offline, but
Program: ECE
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 84 Times
swim swim swim, that's what im doing in the summer

littleluzer likes this.
Old 07-02-2010 at 06:00 PM   #3
dhyong
Program: Molecular Biology & Genetics (Co-Op)

Liked: 19 Times
Try Westside for Skinny Bastards. It is the program I am doing currently and it has worked very well. And there is no workout to increase your testosterone, btw. You may also want to try Starting Strength. Alternatively, try this product.

As for cardio, it's up to you. Sprint intervals and boxing work for me (although there are no bags and no longer a club on campus for that), but you might prefer swimming or cycling.

Last edited by dhyong : 07-02-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added links

Old 07-02-2010 at 06:01 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
Hey, this is a question mostly directed to the people who work out pretty intensely (ie, anyone on varsity teams). I'm wondering what work out routine you have and what kind of workout would increase overall test levels w/o steroids or crazy supplements. Thanks!
I don't think there are any "best" exercises. Just remember to switch up your routine every 2-3 months depending on how many times you go to the gym. Also, don't give up but at the same time don't push yourself ridiculously hard.

If you give up you won't see results. You really have to do that extra 1-2 reps, it's all about overcoming that threshold. But on the other side, if you push yourself to hard you will be prone to injuries such as tendinitis (which by the way REALLY sucks).
Old 07-02-2010 at 09:03 PM   #5
manap3000
Account Locked
Program: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 64 Times
dude judging from the responses you are so asking the wrong ppl lol. Im not an expert or anything but when lifting weights many say testosterone levels increase when working out on your LEGS. I know right who would have thunk it
Old 07-02-2010 at 09:43 PM   #6
jp1390
Program: Electrical and Biomedical Engineering

Liked: 26 Times
If you can get the form down for a clean and jerk, then what you've got is a great compound lift which engages many large muscle groups at a time. If your goal is to increase strength or have muscle growth then you have to think about diet as well, as your body will need sufficient amounts of protein and calories for your body to grow. Heavy, low rep scheme compound lifts are great exercises for overall strength. Some that come to mind are: deadlifts, bench press, rows, squats, and military press.
Old 07-03-2010 at 07:53 AM   #7
dani.garc
Program: Kinesiology

Liked: 0 Times
The majority of the varsity teams work with the Strength & Conditioning staff hired through Steve Lidstone. There are part time staff that create programs tailored specifically to the sport and the type of season they are in (inseason, offseason, post seasons, etc). A lot of the programs integrate some olympic lifts, but only portions of the entire lift (e.g. power cleans from the hang, dumbbell jerks, olympic deadlifts, etc.). It really depends on the purpose of the the program, whether you're working on max strength or power conversion. Overall, olympic lifting is great to learn as it uses a lot of muscle groups and also works on power, but don't forget to incorporate other lifts into your program. It is also a good idea to continually work on your olympic lifting technique throughout the year. Lastly, the Strength & Conditioning program usually brings in Trevor Cottrell, a former olympic lifter and now coach to run a workshop over a weekend. You learn a lot about form and technique, and how to integrate it into a program. Keep a lookout in the DBAC registration office for when that workshop becomes available.

Yay, a banner break...Thanks to our sponsors we're able to keep our server going!

Old 07-03-2010 at 10:42 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
dude judging from the responses you are so asking the wrong ppl lol. Im not an expert or anything but when lifting weights many say testosterone levels increase when working out on your LEGS. I know right who would have thunk it
Aha, my friend also told me this. I didn't actually follow up with research though, so I didn't and won't say anything about it.
Old 07-04-2010 at 07:01 PM   #9
mcmurdd1
Year: Third

Liked: 2 Times
DONT DO CLEAN AND JERKS! If you do make sure you are wearing a back brace for additional lumbar support. I suffered the most incredible injury spasm of my life 3 years ago, not only from clean and jerks, but they also contributed. To this day I still cant play sports. If you do make sure your posture is clean and you are using your shoulders for the jerk. Dont use your chest in the jerk, it will compress your lower spine.
Old 07-04-2010 at 08:15 PM   #10
BlakeM
Elite Member
Program: Mechanical Engineering
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 121 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmurdd1 View Post
DONT DO CLEAN AND JERKS! If you do make sure you are wearing a back brace for additional lumbar support. I suffered the most incredible injury spasm of my life 3 years ago, not only from clean and jerks, but they also contributed. To this day I still cant play sports. If you do make sure your posture is clean and you are using your shoulders for the jerk. Dont use your chest in the jerk, it will compress your lower spine.
Chest......clean and jerk? I dunno, but I can't say that at any point in learning to do it, was chest required at all o_O
Old 07-06-2010 at 09:23 PM   #11
mcmurdd1
Year: Third

Liked: 2 Times
Think of yourself standing upright and you bend your back backwards because the weight above you is too much. you will catch yourself lifting the weights not so much with your shoulders but using a lot of the power coming from your upper chest. Because you are standing however, you have no back support. As a result your very lower spine will curl and compress the facets that are conjoined to your disk. In between theses facets are a number of nerves that feed down your leg. If they are pinched and/or aggravated repeatedly over a long period of time, it will ultimately cause psyatica.
Old 07-09-2010 at 01:06 PM   #12
Rossclot
Program: Engineering (General)
Year: First

Liked: 137 Times
Chin ups. Well, any version of them. Keeping your legs out, hands separate, close together, pull ups, etc. Get a chin up bar, find somewhere to to them, whatever, and do them regularly. My friend had one in between his lounge room and the bathroom/kitchen/outside door part of the appartment. Every time I walked by I did a few and within a few weeks of playing video games /making bathroom trips I looked like a super toned gym guy. It was sweet cause I is lazy.
Old 07-09-2010 at 01:55 PM   #13
Theashe
Year: Fourth

Liked: 29 Times
P90X. 90 days of video workout programs turning you into a machine.

Really great diet, too.
Old 07-09-2010 at 03:48 PM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
Somebody please expand on what the words to the right of the equals sign mean in the title of this thread. I have an idea, but people seem to be taking this thread too seriously for it to be what I'm thinking.
Old 07-09-2010 at 05:01 PM   #15
RTinkess31
Program: Computer Engineering
Residence: Keyes 08/09

Liked: 43 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Somebody please expand on what the words to the right of the equals sign mean in the title of this thread. I have an idea, but people seem to be taking this thread too seriously for it to be what I'm thinking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_and_jerk

Not a member of MacInsiders? Signup now and gain full access to our student community!
Ask questions, get informed, and get involved!
Closed Thread