MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Biology 1A03 & 1M03 mac-gal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-15-2009 09:33 AM
Biology 1M03 Full?! mgallant Academics 2 07-21-2008 01:17 PM

Biology 1M03

Old 12-07-2008 at 11:50 PM   #46
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Biology 1M03
Depending on your high school background, Biology 1M03 serves as an introduction to evolution and ecology. As I have mentioned in the summary above, the term consists of three major units which are taught by three different professors.

Part 1: Introduction to Evolution taught by Dr....

Last edited by sinthusized : 12-07-2008 at 11:59 PM.

all say thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 04-26-2010 at 07:38 PM   #45
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times
This course wasn't all that bad, but it was one of my least favourites of first year. I took it in Fall '09 and I had Dushoff and Kolasa. Dushoff made the material very interesting; Kolasa was rather boring, however I felt that he was good at explaining the material. The PBL project for this course was kind of a nuisance and the tutorials were a huge waste of time, however they were mark-boosters. I wouldn't recommend taking this class as an elective unless you have a genuine interest in the subject matter -- there are easier classes to take with less work!
Old 04-29-2010 at 04:26 PM   #46
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Much of this course is taught (essp when Kaijuira comes in) assuming most people did not take eco/evo in depth in HS. I was one of the few who did, though some of it was new to me. Much of the eco is the standard 'look at how screwed up we made everything/save the worlds!!!11111!!1" perspective and the evolution bit is well done in the text.

The PBL projects were one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen. I had to work with four other people who I seriously think should not be here. I maintain that you CANNOT have a PBL project in first year, there are just waaay too many unqualified people running around, never mind the big groups you are forced to deal with. Nevermind how time consuming and irrelevant it was - only a couple of them were actually relevant topics to the course and they were only a few questions on the second midterm and exam...

Basically, if you though 1A03's labs were long, useless and boring...wait until PBL...

But back to the original question, no, you certainly do not need grade 12 bio for this, or even grade 11. The grade 10 ecology part is fine.

Last edited by britb : 04-29-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Jenn likes this.
Old 04-29-2010 at 10:12 PM   #47
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
But back to the original question, no, you certainly do not need grade 12 bio for this, or even grade 11. The grade 10 ecology part is fine.
I'm pretty sure Biology 4U is a pre-requisite for Biology 1A03 and 1M03.
Old 04-29-2010 at 10:24 PM   #48
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

I didn't check myself, but I think s/he said they didn't need grade 12 or 1P03, which is why they were interested in 1M03 at the moment, since they don't have to do through another course to do it.

Never mind, i just checked the 10/11 calender, and it looks like you do need it. I don't see why, but there you go.
Old 04-30-2010 at 08:31 AM   #49
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
I'm pretty sure Biology 4U is a pre-requisite for Biology 1A03 and 1M03.
That's correct but I can get it waived and go right into 1M03. Thanks for your help everyone!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 05-01-2010 at 06:39 PM   #50
D2J2S

Liked: 0 Times
Test #1 (Dr. Quinn's Material) was too long so most people didn't have enough time to finish.

Test #2 was fair.

Final exam was all application.

Overall, unless your into animals and plants, it is a very boring course.

krispies123 says thanks to D2J2S for this post.
Old 05-01-2010 at 10:25 PM   #51
Jenn

Liked: 5 Times
i agree, PBL in first year was a huge mistake. most people in my tutorial had no clue what was going on. also, the topics were boring. to the extreme. this is easily the worst course i took in first year.
Old 05-03-2010 at 10:02 PM   #52
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Yes...I could go all day about PBL (more than I did a minute ago), but I won't. So, so stupid. "Oh, it'll teach you to work with a bunch of different people, like in the workplace" Maybe, but at least at a job, people can get fired for sucking. AND they don't affect your GPA/future, unless something really bad goes down.

Anyway, this course has a lot of potential - the material is relatively new but not too hard, its just destroyed by stupid stuff like PBL and the whole "saves the planetzzzzz" half. Sure, I KNOW the planet is screwed, but we do not need five chapters of it over and over again.

For people actually considering this course:
Erm...don't let me discourage you. My PBL group was ridiculously bad and I did a lot of the stuff before, so it was not as interesting to me.

And I liked Quinn, actually. Sure, he's a bit disorganized, but he's able to hold my interest in lecture, just study outside of his slides. His test was not nearly as bad as people say it was - it was quite straightforward if you used the textbook, if long. Kaijuira usually covers the second half. She reminds me of grade 9, but she is a good prof and is really easy to study for, which makes your life a lot easier.
Old 06-05-2010 at 04:05 PM   #53
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times
I had this course second semester of this past year. The professors were Dr Kaijura and Dr Quinn.

The first midterm covers fairly easy material, however the midterm was brutal. The average was in the low 50's.

The second midterm was EASY and I believe the average was in the 80's.

The exam was ALL application, so try not to memorize facts!

The tutorials and PBL's were all very easy as well.

This course was fairly interesting and not too difficult, but prepare to do poorly on that first midterm lol.
Old 06-09-2010 at 06:54 PM   #54
ecoghlan

Liked: 2 Times
i had Dr. Quinn and Dr.Kaijura and i wanted to kill myself by the end. most boring class ever!
Old 06-10-2010 at 01:09 PM   #55
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoghlan View Post
i had Dr. Quinn and Dr.Kaijura and i wanted to kill myself by the end. most boring class ever!
You didn't have Wilson or Papaconstantinou, just be happy. XD
Old 06-10-2010 at 10:21 PM   #56
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You didn't have Wilson or Papaconstantinou, just be happy. XD
and pray that you never have Wilson in future biology courses...

Old 06-10-2010 at 10:26 PM   #57
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
and pray that you never have Wilson in future biology courses...
I've had her last year, I think I have her again next year >.>
Old 06-12-2010 at 01:27 AM   #58
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoghlan View Post
Agreed. One of the most boring courses in university, if you're not into evolution and stuff.

Dr. Quinn: worst Prof., I've ever had
Dr. Kaijura: Really nice prof, but almost clueless when it came to answering student questions, but a very easy prof, in relation to her test material.
Old 06-14-2010 at 10:44 PM   #59
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times
i took this course in term 2 of 2010. contrary to most people, i found dr quinn infinitely better than dr kajiura. his tests were more challenging, but they actually tested your understanding of the material, unlike dr kajiuras memorization type question(again this is the opposite of what most people found, except for the challenging part). dr kajiuras questions were always fairly straightforward, but the material she teaches is incredibly boring. i found dr quinns part to be fairly interesting, and as a result paid more attention in class and did better on his midterms than kajiuras. i found the pbl project to be too time consuming for how much it was worth(10%), and the tutorials were very easy. overall an easy course, if boring.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search