MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Biology 1A03 & 1M03 mac-gal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-15-2009 09:33 AM
Biology 1M03 Full?! mgallant Academics 2 07-21-2008 01:17 PM

Biology 1M03

Old 12-07-2008 at 11:50 PM   #61
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Biology 1M03
Depending on your high school background, Biology 1M03 serves as an introduction to evolution and ecology. As I have mentioned in the summary above, the term consists of three major units which are taught by three different professors.

Part 1: Introduction to Evolution taught by Dr....

Last edited by sinthusized : 12-07-2008 at 11:59 PM.

all say thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:43 AM   #60
shahzama

Liked: 1 Time
i have kolasa. how is she as a teacher?
Old 08-16-2010 at 10:06 AM   #61
karna

Liked: 28 Times
kolasa is good. i had this course in term 2 last year. dr. quinn's part is intresting than dr kajjura's part but quinn's exmas were brutal
Old 08-17-2010 at 12:37 PM   #62
belindz!

Liked: 17 Times
human evlution was never covered at any point in my high school except when taking anthro but even then we spent like 40 minutes on it. i hope i survive this
Old 08-18-2010 at 05:30 PM   #63
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times
quinn was the worst prof EVER , first midterm i got a 50 and that was THE AVERAGE! it was awful switch out switch out. its sooo boring i hated this class . thank god kaj came in and i was able to bring up my marks a bit. PBL was great i loved it, i got 92% i think and was asked by an ecology prof to work with him on further studies overall class boring ever again and most of all avoid quinn
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:11 PM   #64
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
quinn was the worst prof EVER , first midterm i got a 50 and that was THE AVERAGE! it was awful switch out switch out. its sooo boring i hated this class . thank god kaj came in and i was able to bring up my marks a bit. PBL was great i loved it, i got 92% i think and was asked by an ecology prof to work with him on further studies overall class boring ever again and most of all avoid quinn
I think what's more important than rating a professor on the difficulty of their test is to rate their ability to teach.

k.shobi, Mahratta, nerual like this.
Old 08-18-2010 at 09:48 PM   #65
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I think what's more important than rating a professor on the difficulty of their test is to rate their ability to teach.
but isnt that a direct correlation, his inabiity to be a good prof result in almost the entire course failing that midterm... it was actually brutal i wish i culd post it on here, i studied for it soooooooo much tooo thats wut pisses me off
Old 08-18-2010 at 09:51 PM   #66
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
but isnt that a direct correlation, his inabiity to be a good prof result in almost the entire course failing that midterm... it was actually brutal i wish i culd post it on here, i studied for it soooooooo much tooo thats wut pisses me off
No it's not... I've had teachers I couldn't learn anything (or almost anything) from but I still did well on their tests (Kajiura, Wilson, Xhu are some examples). There are also teachers that were such great teachers but I couldn't do well on their tests (Stover, Capretta are some examples).
Old 08-18-2010 at 10:02 PM   #67
Shananaghens

Liked: 3 Times
I had Dushoff for the first half of this course, absolutely ADORED him. The content could be a little dry at times but sincce he's such a dynamic person, it made it interesting every time - rarely missed a lecture.
Then Kosala came in, and first off - I could barely hear or understand the man. Secondly, he would tattle on about stories that had little to no relevance. Lovely man, but his teaching style was dry - This is when i stopped going to class. I love ecology too, and he just made it unbearable.
The class itself was great & the tutorials were stupidly easy. Tests were difficult enough.
Old 08-18-2010 at 10:35 PM   #68
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
No it's not... I've had teachers I couldn't learn anything (or almost anything) from but I still did well on their tests (Kajiura, Wilson, Xhu are some examples). There are also teachers that were such great teachers but I couldn't do well on their tests (Stover, Capretta are some examples).
lol well in my opnion quinn was an awful teacher n an awful midterm writer
Old 08-18-2010 at 10:51 PM   #69
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
I had Dr. Quinn for Bio 2G03 and he was a great professor.
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:21 PM   #70
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times
Quinn was the worst professor for me in first year. His electronic notes were terrible and all over the place, and he didn't convey lecture information as effectively as Kajiura can (albeit, she's not a great lecturer either). Plus, who makes a multiple choice question that's a page long.. lol.

MCHEDDENITE likes this.
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:21 PM   #71
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Quinn's good at lecturing and his test was actually kinda easy, just long. BUT, he's a bit disorganized (he jumps between two or three chapters instead of doing it in order). That's the type of little thing that really stresses me out, lol, because I like textbooks. I suppose it comes from being the Field Bio guy, where I'm sure he's fantastic - he has a real passion for what he does.

Kaj...as annoying as she can be with her advice and whatever (especially coming from where I did), she's easy to study for and easy to ace. She's horribly organized. I'd take her again for sure.

Last edited by britb : 08-23-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2010 at 09:38 PM   #72
biancax0x

Liked: 2 Times
quinn was horrible..his testing was retarded. kajura was dull sometimes but way more straightforward

MCHEDDENITE likes this.
Old 08-24-2010 at 11:20 AM   #73
Prasha Bala

Liked: 1 Time
There are 2 tests, each worth 15%.
Tutorials are worth 17%
The PBL project is 10%
Participation is 3%
The Exam is 40%

Tutorials consist of assignments that are due the next day (usually)
Participation is basically doing surveys and answering iClicker questions

Xanderyan likes this.
Old 08-24-2010 at 11:18 PM   #74
BuzzZero

Liked: 2 Times
This course is really tough and boring if u dont have the right profs. I had Dushoff for the first part and he really made this course fun for me. I also got an A without having to work much for this. My friends, on the other hand, had quinn and they struggled to get through the course.

MCHEDDENITE likes this.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search