MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
social science bird courses?? bubblegum3 Academics 12 12-16-2010 07:37 PM
Bird Courses Mellie First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-27-2010 07:02 PM
'BIRD' courses manaya Academics 9 01-08-2010 03:09 PM
Envr SC and Econ, bird courses? Juicebox First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 07-09-2009 01:33 AM
Bird Courses for 2nd Year Stan Academics 9 06-24-2008 08:21 PM

Bird courses a 2nd yr can take

Members have rated post #248141 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 08-09-2011 at 10:10 PM   #31
Lalalaland

Liked: 0 Times

Hey i was wondering which second year electives would be easy and also not have lots of readings...maybe a geography class? or a women's study course?
thanks
Old 08-09-2011 at 10:25 PM   #32
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Chem 2OA3 and 2OB3. Have fun.

arathbon, BlueWave like this.
Old 08-09-2011 at 10:27 PM   #33
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

2nd year students can take 1st year courses, so I suppose that counts.
Old 08-09-2011 at 10:49 PM   #34
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Chem 2OA3 and 2OB3. Have fun.
I agree. Piece of cake, plus they're pretty interesting. If you don't believe, check out this video of Dr. Brooks... what a baller!

http://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
Old 08-09-2011 at 10:53 PM   #35
Lalalaland

i was just wondering what the general view is on Women St 2bb3- images Of The Divine Feminine?

thanks

Old 08-09-2011 at 11:14 PM   #36
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalaland View Post
i was just wondering what the general view is on Women St 2bb3- images Of The Divine Feminine?

thanks

The "images" part of the description seems kind of interesting. That's my view. :(
Old 08-22-2011 at 11:59 AM   #37
elle.s

linguistics 1a03/1aa3
econ 1b03/1bb3
geog 2ru3 (not so bad)
Old 08-22-2011 at 07:12 PM   #38
mk90

Liked: 42 Times

it would appear that this forum has an absence of a certaom ornithological piece...
a post regarding mass awareness of a certain avian variety...
Old 08-22-2011 at 10:33 PM   #39
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalaland View Post

thanks

I don't know about this course, but I took Women St 1A03 this past year and I didn't like it. Basically the whole course consists of readings where you learn about terms/theories/themes in women's studies and there was a quiz on the readings every week in tutorial. I just didn't find the course interesting or to my taste at all, but there were girls in the course that loved it and retained the material very easily.
Old 08-22-2011 at 11:18 PM   #40
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Has anyone taken psych2ap3 (abnormal psych). It seems pretty interesting, but I'm wondering how the workload/difficulty is, since I think my courses will be pretty heavy next year, what with orgo :(.
I definitely wouldn't call it a bird course. I wouldn't call any psych course I've taken thus far a bird course, actually.

The material is interesting, yes, but Dr. Day (amazing prof, btw!) has pretty hard midterms, and he expects you to know the material very well, especially the numbers (population prevalence, and so on) for EVERY disorder, as well as the etiology (which can get confusing and rather long) of each. It's a lot of memorization and understanding, and a decent amount of readings to do.

Old 08-23-2011 at 07:38 AM   #41
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
I definitely wouldn't call it a bird course. I wouldn't call any psych course I've taken thus far a bird course, actually.

The material is interesting, yes, but Dr. Day (amazing prof, btw!) has pretty hard midterms, and he expects you to know the material very well, especially the numbers (population prevalence, and so on) for EVERY disorder, as well as the etiology (which can get confusing and rather long) of each. It's a lot of memorization and understanding, and a decent amount of readings to do.
I'd agree with this. The course is essentially an exercise in memorization of extraneous details for the test. Readings make up 20% of the questions on the test. Personally, I didn't even do any of the reading. I had friends who did, and still didn't know the answers to the questions on the test.

There is an online test-bank of questions. Dr. Day will tell you that only doing the test-bank questions for studying is a bad idea, but it's what I did for both midterms and the exam. I finished with an 8 in the class (not the best, but since I had lost my motivation it was good enough). I had other, harder and more important classes to study for, so my "studying" for the exam was 2 days worth of test-bank questions ad nauseum. The questions *will* show up on the test, word for word, and they will make up ~70% of the questions on the midterm. The only problem is there may be 3 questions that are all worded 98% the same, but the 1 or 2 words difference will completely change the question.

But it got to a point where I was getting 90% of the questions right on the test-bank, and somehow I pulled an 86% on the exam.

dreamer21 says thanks to Freak705 for this post.