MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brandon Fire: Volunteers Needed!! lorend Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 5 10-24-2008 10:31 AM
Brandon Fire Meeting - RECAP AND IMPORTANT INFO Chad Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 13 10-21-2008 04:54 PM
Brandon Hall Fire Relief Section Opened Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 10-21-2008 12:14 PM
Meeting Regarding Brandon Hall Fire kokosas Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 4 10-20-2008 11:10 PM
Message from Dr. Peter George on the Brandon Fire kokosas Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 6 10-20-2008 03:47 PM

Brandon Fire

Old 10-19-2008 at 04:26 PM   #16
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Another Spec article regarding the fire here

Old 10-19-2008 at 04:40 PM   #17
seva2007

Liked: 0 Times

stevennn ...im in the same boat as you -_-
Old 10-19-2008 at 05:15 PM   #18
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
This is by far the stupidest thing that has happened this year and it's only been about a month and a half. I don't understand what logic the person had when they tossed a cigarette in the elevator let alone the fact that there were newspapers in the elevator. I just hope the people that got hurt get better, especially the one living across from the elevator on the second floor. My question is why didn't the sprinklers work? This is probably insignificant but my digital camera was also stolen during all of this. I'm guessing I should report that to campus security?
How could someone toss a cigarette in the elevator?
Aren't all the buildings smoke free?
Smoking itself leads to smoke alarms.
I don't buy that theory
Old 10-19-2008 at 05:36 PM   #19
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

From Daily News Article,

Brandon Hall has now been turned back over to the University by the Ontario Fire Marshall. The process of analyzing the state of the building and the extent of damage can now begin.

After the preliminary investigation by the Fire Marshall it has been determined that the fire was deliberately set and an arson investigation continues by Hamilton Police.

Limited and supervised access to the building will be possible on Monday. Students who have not yet had access to the building can retrieve essential items by meeting at the front of Brandon Hall according to the following schedule:

1:00 p.m.
First floor students
2:00 p.m.
Third floor students
3:00 p.m.
Students from other floors (except for the second floor) who have not yet been able to enter the building The heaviest damage occurred on the second floor and access to student possessions is being arranged as quickly as possible but these details are not currently available. Access to the building will be done under supervision.

Damage to the building is extensive and while the investigation by electricians, engineers and other experts is only now able to get underway, it looks like the impact on the building will be long term. The University is committed to developing the best long-term plan to provide students with accommodation and to ensure their academic year is not disrupted.

Mid-term examinations are continuing at the University. If a student feels able to write his or her exam, they should attend the exam as scheduled. Those who require any academic accommodation for missed work, missed exams or any other academic assistance should contact their Faculty office Monday morning to speak with the associate dean.

The evacuation centre is located in the Smith Gym at Ivor Wynn Centre. Cots are available along with personal care items. Residence life staff will be on duty at the evacuation centre and students in need of assistance, who would like to access university counseling or other services are encouraged to speak to residence life staff for help.

An information meeting for students and parents will be held Monday, October 27 at 7 p.m. The location is still to be determined.
Old 10-19-2008 at 05:40 PM   #20
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

I called Campus Security about the camera so I'm going over there to sign a form. All the CAs just had a meeting and woodstock and I asked a CA and they said that there's a possibility that we might not go back until the end of the week. I'm actually not too sure how the person managed to smoke a cigarette in the elevator but that's the story. I know for a fact that it's newspaper that was the source of the fire because I talked to a few firefighters.

Last edited by nino : 10-19-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2008 at 08:31 PM   #21
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

It saddens me to hear that someone would commit an act to threaten the lives of 100s..i can let go of the fact that people bang at my doors for no apparant reason, or smoke pot in their rooms, or drink and go wild on specific nights..this is clearly digusting..i dont even feel safe at brandon anymore..not that i rly did to begin with..if this incident hit airwaves with the media all over Canada, no one would even bother attending this great insitutition cause of this alone..im at a loss of words..

one question, is there any way to get any refund from our rez..i do plan on living off campus in the near future..even if i dont get any money its ok, as long as my mind is at peace..which hasnt been the case since day 1 at brandon hall..

Old 10-19-2008 at 08:39 PM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

In the past if you withdraw from residence you do get some of your residence fees back.

However, I'm not really sure how a matter like this will be covered by Housing and Conference Services. There has never been a fire at Mac (with the exception of idiots setting microwaves on fire) like this before.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-19-2008 at 08:40 PM   #23
bauhaual

From the Daily News Website

Message from the President

Brandon Hall fire

October 19, 2008

This past weekend has been a difficult one for students who live in Brandon Hall and for their families. A fire that broke out Saturday morning at 4 a.m. sent four McMaster students to hospital, more than 400 students had to be evacuated, and the building was badly damaged.

I am pleased to be able to report that one of the students that went to hospital was quickly treated and released, that two who had minor smoke inhalation have also been discharged, and that the fourth students is continuing to improve.

Any fire is upsetting and disruptive but what happened in Brandon Hall was not accidental nor was it the result of any mechanical failure. After his preliminary investigation the Ontario Fire Marshall has determined the fire was deliberately set and an arson investigation continues by Hamilton Police.

That any individual could set such a fire and put the lives of students at risk is unconscionable. Such disregard for the safety of our students crosses every boundary of human decency and trust. McMaster is a community and it is totally unacceptable when even one member of our community is put at risk.

As the police continue their work I encourage anyone who may have information that will help the investigation to contact Hamilton Police directly or to contact the McMaster security office. We will do everything we can to help officers find the person who committed such a despicable act.

It is too early to say how long it may be before Brandon Hall can be re-opened to students. The building is being checked by safety experts and professionals to assess the damage and to estimate how much time it will take to repair. We do know that this is a long-term task.

Our students and their families have been patient and we thank them for their understanding as we work as quickly as we can to understand the scope of the repairs and how long we will need to make alternate arrangements for students.

While we don't yet have all of the details, I assure you that all students will be provided with accommodation and that the details of that long-term plan will be forwarded to students as soon as they are confirmed.

The fire occurred in the middle of mid-term examinations and at a time when many students are facing deadlines for mid-term assignments. Arrangements will be made to ensure accommodations are in place for students who may have missed or felt unable to write an exam or who were unable to complete a mid-term assignment. The associate deans will work with students on an individual basis to determine the best plan to complete their course work. Counselling services are also available for students through the Centre for Student Development.

We are sure that students and their parents have many questions about what happens next. We will host a meeting for Brandon Hall students and parents Monday, October 20 at 7 p.m. The location details will be communicated as soon as they are available. We will have as much updated information as possible at that time and will continue to provide regular updates on the Daily News web site and through message boards at the Commons help desk and at the evacuation centre at Ivor Wynn.

In closing I would like to extend the University's sincerest appreciation to the Hamilton Fire Department and Hamilton Police as well as McMaster Security for their quick and professional action in helping students safely evacuate Brandon Hall and specifically to Hamilton firefighters for quickly extinguishing the fire. I would also like to thank the Red Cross and its volunteers for setting up and staffing the evacuation centre on campus.

Thank you again to our students for their understanding as we work together to recover from the fire and to restore our sense of safety and security at McMaster.

Yours sincerely,
Peter George
President and Vice-Chancellor
Old 10-19-2008 at 08:41 PM   #24
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Hey Kevin,
I understand your frustrations. I think you can get part of your money back, you would have to put in an appeal but it could be denied.

Your best bet might actually be to talk to Cathy Miller (I believe that is her name), skip the CA's and Res Managers and go straight to the source. Go to Residence Admissions in the Commons Building.

Old 10-19-2008 at 09:17 PM   #25
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

from the Daily News
Update for second floor residents of Brandon Hall

October 19, 2008

Limited and supervised access to the building will be possible on Monday. Students from the second floor of Brandon Hall will not be able to enter the building but secure arrangements have been made to collect essential items from your rooms. These items will be available for pick at 4 p.m. The location will be available in the noon information update on the Daily News and will be posted at the Commons help desk. If you cannot be available at 4:00 p.m. please visit the Commons help desk earlier in the day to make alternate arrangements. Items will not be available for pick up before 4 p.m.

seva2007 says thanks to eycc11 for this post.
Old 10-19-2008 at 09:20 PM   #26
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks eycc11, I'm going to add this to the original post that shows up on the frontpage of MacInsiders.

Old 10-19-2008 at 09:21 PM   #27
mmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
No, I don't believe people are allowed in again. If you want to confirm you can call housing. Their ext is listed in the first post of this thread.

Haseeb, sounds like you're having a rough couple of days! I'm sorry that all this crap is happening at once to you. Did you report your stolen laptop?

Yah i reported it.
Old 10-19-2008 at 09:32 PM   #28
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

the thought that someone would deliberately set a fire makes me sick to my stomach. shame on you to whoever forced me and my fellow residents out of our home. i hope the best of the people that are still hospitalized, and i'm very thankful that it wasn't any worse.
Old 10-19-2008 at 09:48 PM   #29
seva2007

i know it may be too early to ask this... but wut are the chances of people being reimbursed for say having to commute to and park at the school. i would rather stay at home (in Markham) then have to live at some temporary accommodation where I am pretty sure my possessions will not be safe.
Old 10-19-2008 at 09:55 PM   #30
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

From Daily News,

We are now in a position to confirm that the damage to Brandon Hall from Saturday morning's fire will mean students will not be able to return to the building for a considerable length of time. While it is still too early to say how long it will take to make all of the repairs, the University is coordinating a long-term plan to provide accommodation for the 580 students from Brandon Hall.

Now that the Fire Marshall has turned the building back over to the University we will be able to allow additional student access. On Monday first floor students are asked to meet at 1 p.m. in front of Brandon, third floor students should gather at 2 p.m. Student from floors one through three and four through 11 who have not yet been able to access the building should meet at 3 p.m.

Since the heaviest damage was on the second floor it is unsafe for students from the second floor to enter their rooms. Arrangements have been made to securely remove their essential items and these can be picked up at 4 p.m. at a location that will be available in the noon Daily News information update on Monday.

If these times do not work for your son or daughter, please ask them to visit the Commons help desk to confirm other arrangements.

An information meeting is being organized for Monday, October 20 at 7 p.m. for parents and students. This location will be confirmed in the noon Daily News information update on Monday. We will be able to provide updated information on the long-term housing plan at the meeting.

As the President has stated in his message to the community, we are committed to providing accommodation and to helping students whose midterm exams and assignments may have been impacted by the fire. The associate deans of each Faculty are ready to help students with any required accommodations. (All phone extensions can be reached through the University's main number at 905-525-9140.)

Faculty of Business
Nick Bontis
ext.23918
[email protected]

Faculty of Engineering
Ken Coley
ext. 24646
[email protected]

Faculty of Humanities
David Wright
ext. 26546
[email protected]

Faculty of Science
Allison Sills
ext. 24300
[email protected]

Faculty of Social Sciences
Susan Watt
ext. 23771
[email protected]

Arts and Science Program
Peter Sutherland
ext. 24656
[email protected]

Bachelor of Health Sciences
Del Harnish
ext. 22815
[email protected]

School of Nursing
Janet Landeen
ext. 22699
[email protected]

The evacuation centre in the Smith Gym at the Ivor Wynn Centre continues to be available for students who are not able to make alternate accommodation arrangements.

We hope you find these information updates helpful. We will continue to provide updates through the Daily News, through the Commons help desk and postings in the evacuation centre.

The McMaster University Crisis Management Team