MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brandon Fire: Volunteers Needed!! lorend Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 5 10-24-2008 10:31 AM
Brandon Fire Meeting - RECAP AND IMPORTANT INFO Chad Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 13 10-21-2008 04:54 PM
Brandon Hall Fire Relief Section Opened Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 10-21-2008 12:14 PM
Meeting Regarding Brandon Hall Fire kokosas Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 4 10-20-2008 11:10 PM
Message from Dr. Peter George on the Brandon Fire kokosas Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 6 10-20-2008 03:47 PM

Brandon Fire

Old 10-19-2008 at 10:02 PM   #31
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
It saddens me to hear that someone would commit an act to threaten the lives of 100s..i can let go of the fact that people bang at my doors for no apparant reason, or smoke pot in their rooms, or drink and go wild on specific nights..this is clearly digusting..i dont even feel safe at brandon anymore..not that i rly did to begin with..if this incident hit airwaves with the media all over Canada, no one would even bother attending this great insitutition cause of this alone..im at a loss of words..

one question, is there any way to get any refund from our rez..i do plan on living off campus in the near future..even if i dont get any money its ok, as long as my mind is at peace..which hasnt been the case since day 1 at brandon hall..
Shit like this doesn't happen at great institutions...I mean how could someone smoke in a smoke free building let alone be drunk. What about those horror stories where CA's whoop ass if you're drunk in public and blah?
Honestly bro, The residence thing at Mcmaster isn't so great..

I can't believe this is happening...I Rejected Brandon and I was always regressive about that..now I won't.
Old 10-19-2008 at 10:22 PM   #32
hamza7

Liked: 2 Times

Hey where did your laptop get stolen
Old 10-19-2008 at 10:29 PM   #33
quinncr

Liked: 0 Times

I think this sucks, but I think we need to remember that this could happen anywhere - at any university, "great institution" or apartment. I don't think anyone really knows the intimate details of this fire, so I would hesitate pointing a finger at McMaster quite yet, especially since it is apparent that arson was involved. I loved living in residence, and, although I am sure some students/parents will be more hesisitant about choosing to live on campus, I would highly recommend the experience.
Old 10-19-2008 at 10:56 PM   #34
frhnh

yeah, shit happens everywhere..
anyways, i'm sorry this kind of stuff had to happen to you guys in Brandon during midterms madness.
Old 10-19-2008 at 11:41 PM   #35
Cippi

I completely agree that something like this could have happened anywhere - it shouldn't tarnish the reputation of McMaster. In fact, from what I've heard, so far they're handling it about as best they can for such a horrible situation. As for the person responsible, trust me - idiots exist everywhere. Go to whatever you may consider a "great institution" like Harvard or Yale and ask the staff there if they've ever had any big incidents in residence (alcohol-fuelled or otherwise) and I can guarantee you they'll say yes, too. CAs can't police every corner of a massive building 24 hours a day, so I wouldn't blame them, either. All I can assume (or hope) is that the person responsible thought they were pulling a minor prank by setting some papers on fire, and never expected it to get out of control like it did. I honestly don't want to think that someone could intend to cause the damage that eventually resulted, but who knows.
Old 10-20-2008
samantha__
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-20-2008 at 12:50 AM   #36
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

http://www.680news.com/news/headline...9_121657_25280

Nice spelling.
Old 10-20-2008 at 01:26 AM   #37
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

Unrelated to the fire but WE MISS YOU ON DC++ MAZER. AND SUGARY TOO.

I hope they catch the idiot(s) that pulled this ridiculous stunt and they get what they deserve. :\
Old 10-20-2008 at 01:37 AM   #38
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

I'm pretty sure the rules of Brandon Hall will be changing pretty soon and things will end up being much stricter. I have a feeling though that it might not have been someone from Brandon who caused the fire. It was a Friday night and quite honestly there were many parties and as a result many off-campus and out of city people were coming over. But yeah, I actually used the elevator twenty minutes before the fire to pick up our delivered pizza and I did in fact see newspapers in the elevator. I honestly do feel bad now about not picking them up and tossing them into a recycling bin or something...I just did not think some idiot would decide to start a fire in there.

Last edited by nino : 10-20-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2008 at 09:35 AM   #39
w.hemsworth
Reporter, Hamilton Spectator

My name is Wade Hemsworth and I am a reporter at The Hamilton Spectator, where I cover McMaster University. I am following up on our early coverage of the fire, and I invite anyone to call me at 905-526-3254 or email me at [email protected] m

I am particularly interested in talking to evacuees who can tell me about how everyone got out of the building, anyone who may have knowledge of how the fire began, and anyone who is concerned about belongings, ongoing safety, the hardship of being out of a home, the academic complications posed by the emergency, and anything else you may feel is relevant.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I shall be at the campus for much of the day in case you call and get my voice mail.
Sincerely,
Wade
Old 10-20-2008 at 11:13 AM   #40
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

Hey Iman, we miss you's guys' too @[email protected]

Don't worry, there will be justice and lulz at the end of this.
Old 10-20-2008 at 11:46 AM   #41
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
That was pretty bad, especially since it added no information and didn't link to any revelant info.
Old 10-20-2008 at 01:55 PM   #42
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post
That was pretty bad, especially since it added no information and didn't link to any revelant info.
Hahaha.

Ohhh it's always fun to make fun of professional news media...heh

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-20-2008 at 02:32 PM   #43
jdr1203

HOwever messed up the comments that reach the media are, its our task to keep the facts straight. And yes, Mac is going to have to implement stricter rules, like cameras etc... in elevators. Face is, this isn't the first time people have tried stupid stunts in elevators and rooms that have endangered others. I've witnessed a few from my rez days 3 years ago. weirdly, I guess it was inevitable that it got to this stage.

Again, if someone wants help, please message me and I'm willing to help any way I can, be it food, or a place to crash to get away from the gym, or just some place to hang out. Mac isn't a bad place to be, specially not when so many people are suffering.
Old 10-20-2008 at 04:00 PM   #44
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Hahaha.

Ohhh it's always fun to make fun of professional news media...heh
Always...

On a serious note, Wade Hemsworth at The Spectator is a good person. You can trust him and he'll do a good job of getting the story. He knows McMaster and will be following the story until the end.

Giving him information helps to make sure the public record of what occurred is extensive and accurate.