MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Workout Partner dgibson123 Body & Food 0 09-26-2010 05:51 PM
A Few Questions anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-07-2010 12:10 PM
Questions!!! Pinakin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-11-2010 12:55 AM
DC++ questions lavalampsky General Discussion 3 09-14-2009 06:11 PM
Questions Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 09-07-2009 12:21 AM

A bunch of workout questions

Old 08-23-2010 at 08:12 PM   #16
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
That's okay. xD

Speaking of which, how are aerobics? I always look on at the classes while I'm doing my circuit... is it actually a good workout? That's probably mad good cardio. XD (And those classes are free, right?)
Those classes are free and intense! I personally use the ab circuit one (can't remember name) and go to spin classes now and then. disgusting amounts of pain were had.

lawleypop says thanks to BlakeM for this post.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 08-23-2010 at 08:13 PM   #17
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

some times you just have to push the weight to judge what your max weight is. You may be surprised. I did a lot of endurance work with a seated bench at 18 reps with 120 lbs, 3 sets. Out of curiosity i decided to see how much weight i could lift. I ended up maxing out the machine by doing one set of 210 lbs, 10 reps. Point being people often get comfortable with a weight and dont move up. By "low weight", i mean the maximum you can lift for 3 sets of 12-15 reps. If you want technical figures theres a lot of research studies to find the ideal weight based on a percentage of your one-rep-max or body weight.

lawleypop says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 08-23-2010 at 08:14 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I'll definitely try the interval training on the elliptical. I really hate running/swimming.
The only reason I don't like the elliptical is that you have to stay on it longer because there's a lot of momentum stuff involved with it. But it's great if you have bad knees/ankles.

Quote:
That's okay. xD

Speaking of which, how are aerobics? I always look on at the classes while I'm doing my circuit... is it actually a good workout? That's probably mad good cardio. XD (And those classes are free, right?)
I've never taken an actual aerobics before so I can't say how it is. I've done some stepping when I was younger though, it gets quite tiring.

I think it's free, it says "pulse members only" and doesn't say anything about paying extra.
http://www.athrec.mcmaster.c a/fitn...ndex.htm#group

lawleypop says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-23-2010 at 09:08 PM   #19
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
As the title says, I have a bunch of work out questions...

My work out is generally 35 minutes of the eliptical and 1.5 hours worth of weight lifting. I generally go every other day and just do a full body workout (well... legs and arms). I do most of the circuit area on the cardio area of DBAC and then some of the equips on the 1st floor by the entrance (chest flies, calves, and those 2 leg machines that work your hamstrings/quads/thighs)

a) I want to get strong, but not beefy. What's the best way to go about this? I generally try and do 5 sets of 12 reps of a moderately heavy weight...not enough that I'm STRUGGLING by the 12th, but enough that it gets really hard on the last couple of sets.

b) I have a lot of fat. Arm fat, boob fat, my thighs have a bit of excess fat but it's not gross or anything... What's the best way to trim? I heard building muscle is the best way to burn fat, but idk. Help pls.

c) I AM VERY HIPPY AND I HATE RUNNING. But I wanna trim my waist. Back when I was 16, I got down to about 110 pounds... I had a small[er] waist (I was probably around a size 8)... but ****, all I did was run and run and run. I don't wanna run, I hate it. What else can I do?

d) When I do arm exercises (especially when I'm on the last few reps), I find it REALLY hard not to tense up my neck... Like, I actually don't know how to push myself to complete the last few reps without tensing up my neck. I tense it so bad that I can normally feel something being pulled. Needless to say, I think it's pretty dangerous, lol. If I lower the weight, it's not challenging enough. If I up the weight, it's too much. I generally can't even finish 2 sets.

that's all I can remember for now.

[I know that "changing your diet" is an obvious answer to all of these, but... I eat kinda healthy and I'm not really interested in spending lots of money on meat and shit ]

Edit: by beefy I mean I don't want to look like a guy... I'm not scared of having muscle, I just hate scrawniness/skinnyness
Hey cherry, I been working out for quite a while and lost my belly fat to shine out those cool packs lol. Still haven't reached 6 pack yet, on its way. As souldier said, you can't spot lose the fat in no way.

a) Try this website out: www.myfreetrainer.com
It is pretty neat and has almost everything laid out for you. Anyways, I still have made a few changes for my preferences. For example, I'm between beginner-intermediate and instead for 3 sets and 10-12 reps for some exercises, I only do 2 sets with 8-10 reps but heavier weights.
However, women don't have much testosterone so it's hard to gain muscle mass for ladies, so try to do more 12-15 reps and 2 sets. This will increase the endurance, shape up those muscles and also build a few gradually.

b & c) I hate to break it out to you, but building muscles won't help reduce fat. It doesn't matter if you can bench press 250lbs or squat 400lbs. It will only increase your muscle mass and maybe a bit of fat loss at max. To lose fat you need to do aerobics, that's the most efficient way to burn those calories.
The other main point is WATCH what you eat!! I don't drink pops, soda, juice. I don't eat at McDonalds or some other junk food places. I at most can't resist eating pizza once in a while, like once in 2 weeks or so.
If you run for 2 miles and eat a ham-burger, you would gain fat. The reason behind this is because to lose fat, you are suppose to go into calorie deficit. Therefore, make sure you burn more calories than you eat. But don't starve yourself. Eat healthy and exercise (aerobics).

If you don't like to run, you can swim, go biking, skating, hiking, etc. But running and swimming are the most efficient ones though to lose fat faster. Biking and skating don't take much lol, it won't really get your heart beat up, unless you're going like super fast lol. Hiking is good if you do atleast 5-6 miles against running on your own pace for 20-30 min.

Last edited by mcmastergcdb : 08-23-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2010
mcmastergcdb
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-23-2010 at 09:28 PM   #20
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

my comment won't show up lol?
Old 08-23-2010 at 09:28 PM   #21
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

d) SIMPLE BUT MAIN POINTS WHEN YOU ENTER THE GYM:
1) Leave you ego at the door
Try to lift heavier but don't go overboard. Only lift so much that you don't ruin your body posture and can carry out the whole exercise technique. If you jerk yourself, or lock your arm while doing an exercise, use lower weight.
2) Don't socialize when you're in the gym
Your main aim is to go to the gym and work-out for 30 min- 60 min the most and get the fuk out. Your body doesn't respond well after 1 hour and you will lose the motivation in long run.
3) Safety and responsibilities
Make sure you don't jerk your body and only lift that much, which can be done with a normal body posture. Also put the weights back to their normal spots and don't let the things lying around on the ground for long as it could be hazardous

Also, run/swim after working out. It is more efficient this way to lose fat. Your body starts breaking down fat because now it doesn't know when you're gonna stop. All the glucose/other stuff in the blood stream or in the body lying around is used up once you have worked out for 30-40 mins.

Have fun
Old 08-23-2010 at 10:23 PM   #22
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The only reason I don't like the elliptical is that you have to stay on it longer because there's a lot of momentum stuff involved with it.

Researchers at the University of Mississippi found that elliptical trainers provide the same cardiovascular benefits as treadmill running, without the impact on your joints.

( http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/ex... ve_Knees.php )

I love the elliptical, even when it's me and 5 middle-aged women in a row at the gym
Keep the resistance high and you won't get the floaty feeling where momentum is doing your work for you.

lawleypop likes this.