MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business Informatics without Econ 1BB3 julianface Academics 3 04-05-2011 09:12 PM
Business Informatics or CompSci & Econ BigT905 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 02-12-2011 12:16 AM
A 2nd year business informatics dude CB-Shawn Introduce Yourself 1 07-07-2010 01:43 PM
Business admission amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-22-2010 08:25 AM
- Business Informatics major..?- HELP! *~Lana~* First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-07-2010 04:06 AM

Business Informatics Admission

Old 08-04-2011 at 03:58 PM   #1
baodo1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 6 Times

Business Informatics Admission
Hey I am interested in the business informatics program. Anyone have any idea on how to switch in? I had an 8.6 CA last year, anyone know if that is good enough? I already took and passed econ 1b03 and 1bb3 and took a first year comp sci class. And is it too late to switch. And just how good at computers do you have to be to succeed in this class?
Old 08-04-2011 at 04:14 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I would say having some sort of background would benefit you if you check out the course listing for Business Informatics here:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1199.html

Little quote for you:
"Admission to Level II Honours Computer Science and Honours Business Informatics requires completion of all non-elective Computer Science I courses with a minimum Cumulative Average (CA) of 4.0. In addition, admission to the Honours Business Informatics program requires completion of ECON 1B03 and 1BB3."

So as far as the CA goes, you're well above what the minimum is.

EDIT:
Something you may find interesting in terms of switching over:
"For the purpose of admission to Level II B.A.Sc. programs, the three courses MATH 1A03, 1AA3 and 1B03 together are considered equivalent to MATH 1ZA3, 1ZB3 and 1ZC3."

So I'm pretty sure you need to have taken 3 of those math courses listed above. I'm not sure if Sally Williams has summer office hours or not, I suggest you contact her as she is the undergraduate adviser for current Business Informatics students as well as Comp. Sci.

Her info stuff:
John Hodgins Engineering Building (JHE), Room A214 - x24646
E-mail: [email protected]

Last edited by anonanon987 : 08-04-2011 at 04:19 PM.

icecubz likes this.
Old 08-04-2011 at 04:21 PM   #3
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Do note that the given minimum CA is just that, a minimum. If 100 people apply with a CA of 12, they are not going to let you in with 4, or even 10.

But that said, there are under 50 people in each level 2, 3, 4 comp sci year, and far far fewer in each Business Informatics year. You will have no trouble getting in next year.

As for getting in this year, I'm leaning towards saying that you're way too late, program admission was done back in April I really doubt they'll let you in now. And that is going to make it difficult because you can't take the three required Commerce courses without being in the program.

Your best bet is to talk to an academic advisor, they can give you the answers to all of these questions and hopefully suggest an alternative to being in Business Informatics Level II if it's not possible.