MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business Informatics Admission baodo1 Academics 2 08-04-2011 04:21 PM
Business Informatics without Econ 1BB3 julianface Academics 3 04-05-2011 09:12 PM
Business Informatics or CompSci & Econ BigT905 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 02-12-2011 12:16 AM
A 2nd year business informatics dude CB-Shawn Introduce Yourself 1 07-07-2010 01:43 PM
- Business Informatics major..?- HELP! *~Lana~* First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-07-2010 04:06 AM

Business Informatics Transfer from Life Sciences

Old 08-17-2013 at 07:06 PM   #1
Cryssylol

Liked: 0 Times

Business Informatics Transfer from Life Sciences
Hiiiiii!

So, I applied to McMaster University this past year and was admitted into Life Sciences and Environmental Sciences, and rejected from Health Sciences. I've always wanted to study immunology, virology, genetics, molecular biology, etc, but it was always with the intent of going into Medical School.

Then, the reality really hit me. Medical School is competitive, long, expensive and rewarding but I may not have the personality to pursue it (just realized that being impulsive, and having pretty bad anxiety may hinder my performance as a medical professional no matter how compassionate I am). Granted, I would love to pursue Biochemistry (Biomedical Sciences Specialization), I've had a hard time adjusting to the idea of getting an M.Sc, since I'm the type of person who likes to get out there and get a job rather than dilly dally in school for too long. I also really don't want to do mouse work, and protein analysis is a long and tedious process that doesn't really give you the experience you need to get jobs in the pharmaceutical industry (unfortunately).

So basically, I was wondering about the admission requirements for Business Informatics. I'm a huge geek, love computers and the interbutts, and think that combining traditional business values (marketing) and my love of technology would probably make me equally as successful in life. SO - For a first year Life Sciences student, what courses should I focus on trying to take in order to effectively and swiftly try to transfer into Engineering without lagging too far behind?

Any information would be fantastic, especially information pertaining to summer courses and transfer credits.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Old 08-18-2013 at 12:14 AM   #2
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Sorry to hear that you decided life sciences wasn't for you. ):

The Business Informatics requirements are found here. Unfortunately it appears you need to complete the Computer Science I required courses including the three maths which may be restricted to someone not in the Faculty of Engineering. You can take the three comp sci courses though. Beyond that, you are required to take Econ 1B03 and Econ 1BB3 as your electives, which you can do as a life sciences student (and indeed, a lot of LS students take them as "birds").

In regards to summer school, courses are offered on a year-by-year basis. You might not know whether or not a comp sci course will be offered until the 2014 Summer Course Timetable comes out. For transfer credits at other schools, check out the information/list of equivalent courses at other unis here.

My suggestion to you is to get into contact with the academic advisors in the Associate Dean of Science Office somehow (you can go for drop-in advising, phone them, email, etc.) and explain your situation to see what they can do for you.

I do urge you to make sure you think this through before committing, though. Science has many branches and many opportunities aside from medical school. You say you don't think you could stick it through graduate school but an M. Sc. on average takes ~2 years to complete compared to the 3-4 years you would spend in medical school (not to mention residency).

Biochemistry as a whole is a lot more than just mouse-work or protein analysis. Research can go in many directions, and you don't necessarily have to do it in a university. Large pharmaceutical companies also employ scientists (as well as other opportunities for science graduates).

Granted, I'm biased (science nerd in Biochem - Biomed), but science has so much more to offer than just a means to the end of medical school. If you like science, then don't let the looming prospect of jobs or medical school or whatever get in your way.

That said, if you also have a passion for business informatics and feel that you would be happy there, go for it! Best of luck.
Old 08-18-2013 at 12:57 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Hey Crystal,

Glad you are considering a transfer into the Business Informatics program. Just to clarify, it is not an Engineering program. Business Informatics falls under the realm of Computer Science which is under the Faculty of Engineering.

To be able to transfer into Business Informatics, you would have to take all of the non-elective Computer Science I courses and in addition ECON 1B03 & 1BB3 for Business Informatics.

Here is a relevant note:
  1. Both programs have limited enrolment.(Honours Computer Science & Honours Business Informatics..)
  2. For the purpose of admission to Level II B.A.Sc. programs, the three courses MATH 1A03, 1AA3 and 1B03 together are considered equivalent to MATH 1ZA3, 1ZB3 and 1ZC3.
The non mandatory courses are as follows starting from this upcoming school year:

9 units from: COMP SCI 1JC3, 1MD3, 1XA3
9 units from: MATH 1ZA3, 1ZB3, 1ZC3
1 course: WHMIS 1A00
Old 08-18-2013 at 03:47 PM   #4
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
  1. For the purpose of admission to Level II B.A.Sc. programs, the three courses MATH 1A03, 1AA3 and 1B03 together are considered equivalent to MATH 1ZA3, 1ZB3 and 1ZC3.
Oops, I totally missed that. Cool, so it's a lot more doable than I thought. Good luck!