MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with my printer. Rakim Computers & Tech 2 09-24-2010 04:00 PM
Buying a printer online Kayee General Discussion 5 09-21-2010 12:31 PM
Buying a Printer Melanieee Computers & Tech 47 09-03-2010 05:51 PM
Looking to buy a new printer? LBJ.MVP General Discussion 9 09-03-2009 12:45 PM
Is it necessary to buy your own printer? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-10-2009 09:53 PM

Buying a Printer?

Old 07-20-2011 at 10:18 AM   #1
stefanie_

Liked: 0 Times

Buying a Printer?
Is it really necessary / highly recommended to buy oyur own printer?
If you don't buy one what are other ways to print avaliable?
Old 07-20-2011 at 10:22 AM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

There is a lot of places on and near campus where you can print your assignments.
Old 07-20-2011 at 10:34 AM   #3
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Get a printer. Unless you have the time and effort to go to a printer in the library for every assignment, or to print out notes. When it's 1:30 am at night and you have an assignment due the next morning, having your own printer will help. If you opt to have no printer you start realizing how often you're going to a public printer and stop printing out notes which can adversely affect your grades.
Old 07-20-2011 at 10:36 AM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Depends on whether you prefer reading your notes off of your computer (if you've taken them there) or like reading them off of paper.
Old 07-20-2011 at 10:37 AM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Would definitely recommend buying a printer for your room. Like lux said, there will be A LOT of things to print out during the year and it's hella annoying to go to the library every time you want to print something. If you're living with roommates, maybe you can share a printer with them
Old 07-20-2011 at 10:38 AM   #6
Milk.Tea

Liked: 21 Times

I would personally buy a printer. I think that it's good to be prepared, because although you can access printers on campus, it may not be reliable. What if you wake up late to print an assignment? Or there is a long line up because others had the same idea? Or, some how you aren't able to print it out, you'll be rushing to figure out what to do. If you have a printer, the campus printer will be your backup. Also, in the long run, the cost of purchasing one is cheaper than paying a few cents per page printed.
However, if you are living on residence with a roommate, perhaps you can borrow your roommates printer, and pay your roommate for using it?
It's just my personal opinion, since I've always hated printing things at school, since things don't always turn out right. Mind you, I haven't entered university yet, so I don't know what's the printer situation.
Old 07-20-2011 at 10:40 AM   #7
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

I finished first year living off library printers. Though I never printed notes, just assignments.

Knowing that you need to print an assignment outside your room might encourage you to get it done sooner.
Old 07-20-2011 at 11:09 AM   #8
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Check out the HP P1005 / P1006

they're slightly older, so they'll come cheap; but they're amazing laser printers!
Old 07-20-2011 at 11:34 AM   #9
lux

Liked: 318 Times

having a printer/scanner is good too, sometimes you might need to scan things.
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:58 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanie_ View Post
I highly recommend buying one. You're going to be printing notes/assignments all the time. And it can get really annoying/expensive to go to the library or the Underground.
Old 07-20-2011 at 01:03 PM   #11
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

I recommend buying your own as well. Going places to print things sounds like a huge inconvenience. Plus, in the long run, you'll probably save money by having your own.
Old 07-20-2011 at 01:04 PM   #12
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Definitely buy one. My friend printed off everything in colour on the school printers last year, and I don't know how much she spent...but I know she spent A LOT and probably could have bought a printer for the price of the printing.

Also, it is so much more convenient and easier just to have one because there is a lot of stuff you will be printing, most likely a few sheets for every class you will attend-if not more.
Old 07-20-2011 at 01:13 PM   #13
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Get a printer. Unless you have the time and effort to go to a printer in the library for every assignment, or to print out notes. When it's 1:30 am at night and you have an assignment due the next morning, having your own printer will help. If you opt to have no printer you start realizing how often you're going to a public printer and stop printing out notes which can adversely affect your grades.
A thousand times this. No matter what you think of your work habits now, this *WILL* happen.

Also, BUY A LASER PRINTER. You will save a *ton* of money on ink, even if it's more of an initial investment. I bought a Brother black & white printer/scanner/copier combo for $99 (it was an older model, and it was on sale), and it only came with a 1/2 cartridge of toner. I finished my entire 2nd year without buying replacement toner once.
Old 07-20-2011 at 01:31 PM   #14
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanie_ View Post
Like others have said, it's much more convenient to have your own printer. I used the printing stations in Mills Library a few times during the year when I needed something printed at school last minute (I commute) and they are usually quite busy. I think it's also great to have a 3-in-1 printer, I used to have just a basic HP printer and whenever I needed to photocopy something it was a pain in the butt to have to go out to do it somewhere. This time of year is a great time to buy a printer too because all the back to school deals are coming into stores, I bought an HP 3-in-1 for $40 on sale at Walmart just before I started school last year.
Old 07-20-2011 at 01:58 PM   #15
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer21 View Post
Like others have said, it's much more convenient to have your own printer. I used the printing stations in Mills Library a few times during the year when I needed something printed at school last minute (I commute) and they are usually quite busy. I think it's also great to have a 3-in-1 printer, I used to have just a basic HP printer and whenever I needed to photocopy something it was a pain in the butt to have to go out to do it somewhere. This time of year is a great time to buy a printer too because all the back to school deals are coming into stores, I bought an HP 3-in-1 for $40 on sale at Walmart just before I started school last year.
That reminds me, you can setup your laptop to print to the library printers. Though I've never been able to get it to work, anyone been able to?

~*Sara*~ likes this.