MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with my printer. Rakim Computers & Tech 2 09-24-2010 04:00 PM
Buying a printer online Kayee General Discussion 5 09-21-2010 12:31 PM
printer cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-24-2010 04:04 PM
Looking to buy a new printer? LBJ.MVP General Discussion 9 09-03-2009 12:45 PM
printer dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-29-2009 11:27 PM

Buying a Printer

Old 08-24-2010 at 02:24 PM   #1
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Buying a Printer
Hey guys,

I need to buy a printer this year and I wanna know what you guys have bought and what you like or dont like.

Im not going to be printed an excessive amount of things, and itll mostly be black and white.
Id like something thats inexpensive, and whose ink cartridges are inexpensive (or is laser the way to go?).
I would enjoy an all-in-one, but its not necessary. Mostly I want something thats going to last, be economical on ink, and cause me the least amount of problems. Alot of my friends have pretty dodgy printers.
So what do you think? Any advice?
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010 at 02:59 PM   #2
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

I have an OKIDATA B410 laser printer, had it since christmas and no hint of going downhill yet
its a 90$ laser duplex printer (so it prints double sided) but its really bulky and super loud when its running and a bit slow to start (it has to heat up every time you print something)...however its definitely worth it just to have half the stack of paper lol
http://www.canadacomputers.c om/pro...0ufglv9sg4ak14

if you dont want color or all in one laser is definitely the way to go, inkjet ink is pretty expensive and having to replace ink frequently is super annoying

Melanieee says thanks to irule333 for this post.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:03 PM   #3
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by irule333 View Post
I have an OKIDATA B410 laser printer, had it since christmas and no hint of going downhill yet
its a 90$ laser duplex printer (so it prints double sided) but its really bulky and super loud when its running and a bit slow to start (it has to heat up every time you print something)...however its definitely worth it just to have half the stack of paper lol
http://www.canadacomputers.c om/pro...0ufglv9sg4ak14

if you dont want color or all in one laser is definitely the way to go, inkjet ink is pretty expensive and having to replace ink frequently is super annoying
Thanks! Sounds good, I usually just re-feed my pages through to get double sided anyway, but this would totally take away that hassle.
Also, Im not sure I understand the difference in a laser printer... does it use ink at all? Is there something Ill need to replace eventually? Thanks
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:06 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Hey guys,

I need to buy a printer this year and I wanna know what you guys have bought and what you like or dont like.

Im not going to be printed an excessive amount of things, and itll mostly be black and white.
Id like something thats inexpensive, and whose ink cartridges are inexpensive (or is laser the way to go?).
I would enjoy an all-in-one, but its not necessary. Mostly I want something thats going to last, be economical on ink, and cause me the least amount of problems. Alot of my friends have pretty dodgy printers.
So what do you think? Any advice?
Thanks!
I have a Samsung B&W Laser Printer. It's ML2010. I changed the cartridge once since first year, but you should also take note that it wasn't a new cartridge. It was formerly my family's house printer. I think I changed the toner during the second term of first year. I haven't changed the toner again since and I'm going into my first term for third year. I do moderate printer. I print out everything except for my lecture notes because that would just be a ridiculous waste of paper and toner.

I also have an HP printer (Desk Jet 5900 series) to print out anything in colour if I need to. The ink really sucks though. But you can always invest in a ink cartridge refill kit. It's like bottles of ink and a syringe. I use that to refill my ink cartridges. You have to be careful, it can get messy.

Melanieee says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:08 PM   #5
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Get a basic laser printer if you don't need to copy/scan. I think there's a sale right now at the Mac Computer store for like $99.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:11 PM   #6
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Also, Im not sure I understand the difference in a laser printer... does it use ink at all? Is there something Ill need to replace eventually?
laser printers use toner (like a photocopier) and they do need to be replaced, but not nearly as often as inkjets

Melanieee says thanks to irule333 for this post.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:14 PM   #7
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
Get a basic laser printer if you don't need to copy/scan. I think there's a sale right now at the Mac Computer store for like $99.
Best buy has one online for like $40, but the reviews says its total crap. But theres a few all-in-ones on sale for under $100, i think the sales end soon thats why Im trying to decide.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:15 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Best buy has one online for like $40, but the reviews says its total crap. But theres a few all-in-ones on sale for under $100, i think the sales end soon thats why Im trying to decide.
I would also check how much the toner for each printer costs. That should be a big decision factor since you only buy the printer once but you'll always need to buy the toner.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:26 PM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I got an HP AIO with photo printing too, its great. Prints fast, and refilling ink is cheap.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:32 PM   #10
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I would also check how much the toner for each printer costs. That should be a big decision factor since you only buy the printer once but you'll always need to buy the toner.
I think I like these ones so far:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/... ec07e44cfen02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/... a2558914cen02

know anything about this brand?
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:50 PM   #11
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

The point is that a laserjet will last ~3000 printed pages, vs 300 for an inkjet. In the long run, it will save you $$$.

I fully recommend a B&W basic laserjet. <$100. The school has photocopiers you can use, when you need.

Melanieee says thanks to dmzz for this post.
Old 08-24-2010 at 04:20 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I heard about Brother, they are supposed to be good but I don't know anyone that has their products.
Old 08-24-2010 at 04:24 PM   #13
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
I heard about Brother, they are supposed to be good but I don't know anyone that has their products.
Im really considering the basic one, I know the all in one is the same price but the reviews arnt as good and I cant find the corresponding ink catridges/toner, its confusing. So the basic one is only $100, the 2-yr service package is $15. And the sale ends thursday... should I get it? Or wait for more sales?
Old 08-24-2010 at 04:29 PM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
I have a Brother printer at home and I really like it. It's a scanner/printer/fax/photocopier all in one, so I'm sure it was expensive. But I've never had any problems with it. I'm sure their regular printers work well too.

To the OP, if you're only printing a little bit, and it's only black and white, I would suggest not getting a printer. It costs 10 cents per page to print at the school libraries. I don't the exact breakdown of how much it costs per page to print at home, but paying for the printer+paper+ink, I would guess that it's cheaper to print at school.
Old 08-24-2010 at 04:34 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Im really considering the basic one, I know the all in one is the same price but the reviews arnt as good and I cant find the corresponding ink catridges/toner, its confusing. So the basic one is only $100, the 2-yr service package is $15. And the sale ends thursday... should I get it? Or wait for more sales?
I seriously have no idea, I don't know anything about Brother other than rumours from other people. How much is the extra toner?