MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying textbooks online (Ebay, Amazon) lululand Academics 6 09-08-2010 06:40 PM
Buying a Printer Melanieee Computers & Tech 47 09-03-2010 05:51 PM
Looking to buy a new printer? LBJ.MVP General Discussion 9 09-03-2009 12:45 PM
Is it necessary to buy your own printer? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-10-2009 09:53 PM
printer dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-29-2009 11:27 PM

Buying a printer online

Old 09-20-2010 at 08:39 PM   #1
Kayee

Liked: 2 Times

Buying a printer online
I'm thinkng of buying a B&W laser printer because I only need the basic function and I saw this tiny little Ml-1915 sumsung printer in future shop.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ... fe234450den02

after some goggling,I found the samsung Ml1665 on tigerdirect it's 10 bucks cheaper (I dont know the differences between those 2 printers )But my concern is I have never bought electronics online, so is tigerdirect a good choice?

oh,,, and I tried to call their custom service to about if the toner is included but they made me hold like forever!!

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...o=643 9074&cs

http://www.canadacomputers.c om/pro...0ufglv9sg4ak14
Old 09-20-2010 at 10:48 PM   #2
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Tigerdirect is a reputable online retailer. Also, search online for a site that sells replacement toner as the price varies a lot. Get a laser printer that wont cost very much to replace the toner, I believe the one's you listed above are quite expensive.

Kayee says thanks to Carefree for this post.
Old 09-20-2010 at 10:56 PM   #3
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

I bought the samsung ml1665 from canadacomputers and it works great, I love it
it's so small so it barely takes any space on my desk
It seems that tigerdirect and canadacomputers has the same price for it so why not just go to their retail store and buy it there

Kayee says thanks to cjdzl for this post.
Old 09-20-2010 at 11:08 PM   #4
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Canada Computers in Hamilton is less than a 10 minute bus ride from campus. Just take a 1a/5/51/10 HSR bus heading towards downtown and get off at the Dundurn and Main stop (the first stop after the highway overpass). To get back, the stop is at King and Dundurn right in front of the Timmy's / Shoppers Drug Mart and any HSR bus stopping there will get you to campus (although the 52 / 10 go along Main and stop near the hospital, not centre of campus).

The printer does come with a toner cartridge but its a half size (700 page) cartridge. That's probably to last you most of the year though.

Kayee says thanks to dsahota for this post.
Old 09-21-2010 at 10:41 AM   #5
Kayee

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Tigerdirect is a reputable online retailer. Also, search online for a site that sells replacement toner as the price varies a lot. Get a laser printer that wont cost very much to replace the toner, I believe the one's you listed above are quite expensive.

you mean the toners or the printers?

those are the like the cheapest laser printers that I can find!
Old 09-21-2010 at 12:31 PM   #6
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
you mean the toners or the printers?

those are the like the cheapest laser printers that I can find!
He means the toners. The official Samsung toner cartridge is almost $70 at Canada Computers for (1500 page yield), but you can find refilled or unofficial cartridges for most samsung laser printers for $20-60 online. I generally get my cartridges from: http://www.123inkcartridges. ca/, although they don't have the cartridge for the Samsung ML-1665 available yet because its quite a new model. By the time you start to run out of toner, you should have no problem finding the replacement cartridge MLT-D104S online for the $30-50 range.

Another option is to take it to a local store who has a toner refill service, I don't know of any near school, but someone else likely does.

As a side note, sometimes a slightly more expensive printer will have toner cartridges available for significantly less. For example the Brother laser printer available at Canada computers:
http://www.canadacomputers.c om/pro...em_id= 017923

Has similar specs to the Samsung but you can get a 3000 page yield toner cartridge for it for $40. There's a slight complication to this as there is an extra unit (a drum unit) that you may have to replace on the brother every few years.

If you're planning on printing a lot and keeping the printer for quite some time, then the Brother may be a better long term plan. If you're not sure how much you'll print and might just use the printer for this year, then the Samsung is probably a better choice.

Kayee says thanks to dsahota for this post.