MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with my printer. Rakim Computers & Tech 2 09-24-2010 04:00 PM
Buying a Printer Melanieee Computers & Tech 47 09-03-2010 05:51 PM
printer cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-24-2010 04:04 PM
Looking to buy a new printer? LBJ.MVP General Discussion 9 09-03-2009 12:45 PM
Is it necessary to buy your own printer? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-10-2009 09:53 PM

printer

Old 07-05-2008 at 07:45 PM   #1
dondada

Liked: 0 Times

printer
is it a smart idea to bring your own printer?
Old 07-05-2008 at 08:26 PM   #2
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

If you're on residence, it's definitely a lot more convenient than purchasing a print card and having to go to the library every time you need to print something. It'd cost you 10 cents a page.

Unless...you have a roommate(s) and you guys discuss about it beforehand so that only one of you would bring a printer. Then you can hook it up as a network printer (I believe you can do that at res...someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited by eycc11 : 07-05-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2008 at 08:26 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Yes. Otherwise you need to go to the library/The Underground and pay for each thing you print

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-05-2008 at 08:34 PM   #4
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eycc11 View Post
If you're on residence, it's definitely a lot more convenient than purchasing a print card and having to go to the library every time you need to print something. It'd cost you 10 cents a page.

Unless...you have a roommate(s) and you guys discuss about it beforehand so that only one of you would bring a printer. Then you can hook it up as a network printer (I believe you can do that at res...someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
You are correct

Old 07-06-2008 at 12:23 AM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

See this article
Old 07-29-2009 at 10:15 PM   #6
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

You can get a way with not bringing a printer if you are organized and can remember to print things when you are at the library. Printing is 10 cents per page, but if you have an inkjet printer, than it's just as economical to pay at the library. I had my own injet printer at home and I only used it when I needed to, all of my lecture notes I printed at the library.

If you are going to buy a printer, I would recommend getting a laser printer. It will pay for it self within a year, otherwise you'll be buying cartridges like mad.
Old 07-29-2009 at 10:31 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.thomson View Post
If you are going to buy a printer, I would recommend getting a laser printer. It will pay for it self within a year, otherwise you'll be buying cartridges like mad.
It's true. I never refilled my laser printer the entire year, and I printed like mad. I would recommend the Samsung ML-1630. It's really small and looks like an alien spaceship !
Old 07-29-2009 at 10:47 PM   #8
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

That's the printer that my best friend has, I would recommend that one too
Old 07-29-2009 at 11:27 PM   #9
tj_88

Liked: 0 Times

Look out for deals at futureshop or best buy just before school starts. i bought a laser printer last summer for $40- HP P1005.

xxsumz, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to tj_88 for this post.