MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with my printer. Rakim Computers & Tech 2 09-24-2010 04:00 PM
Buying a Printer Melanieee Computers & Tech 47 09-03-2010 05:51 PM
Looking to buy a new printer? LBJ.MVP General Discussion 9 09-03-2009 12:45 PM
Is it necessary to buy your own printer? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-10-2009 09:53 PM
printer dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-29-2009 11:27 PM

printer

Old 08-16-2010 at 09:59 AM   #1
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

printer
I'm in life science and I heard that for the science courses there are lots of notes to print off
how important would it be to have your own printer in your room, can you live without it or do you strongly suggest getting one.
and also let say I wanted to bring my laptop to the lectures can't I look at those notes on my computer during lecture?
and last do you recommend bringing a laptop to lecture or a pencil and a paper
sorry for asking so much and thanks for answering!
Old 08-16-2010 at 10:04 AM   #2
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

print out the notes, you need to write stuff down so you'll remember come exam time. It may seem obvious what the notes mean right after the lecture, but they don't make alot of sense come december if you didn't write anything on them....
Old 08-16-2010 at 10:08 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You can also bring your laptop to class and write notes on top of the lecture notes using a pdf application like foxit or nitro.
Old 08-16-2010 at 10:29 AM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
I'm in life science and I heard that for the science courses there are lots of notes to print off
how important would it be to have your own printer in your room, can you live without it or do you strongly suggest getting one.
and also let say I wanted to bring my laptop to the lectures can't I look at those notes on my computer during lecture?
and last do you recommend bringing a laptop to lecture or a pencil and a paper
sorry for asking so much and thanks for answering!
It depends on your preference. I very much prefer physically writing things all over my notes--circling and arrows and little annotations all over the slides--so I print my notes. Thus, a printer is pretty necessary. Also, depending on your battery life, having a laptop can be very inconvenient...like, it would probably last one lecture, but if you have several in a row that could be a problem depending on battery life and the location of plugs within the lecture hall (there usually aren't that many).

I know some people who don't use the prof's notes at all--they just go to class with lined paper and a pen and write everything down themselves.

Since I print off all of my notes, it would be possible for me to survive without a printer, but it's ultimately cheaper and more convenient for me to have one.
Old 08-16-2010 at 10:55 AM   #5
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Thanks for the replies! and I decided to get the laser printer from macmicro
would the supplies last until move in day or would I have to preorder it?
and also macmicro is located in Titles right?
Old 08-16-2010 at 11:12 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
Thanks for the replies! and I decided to get the laser printer from macmicro
would the supplies last until move in day or would I have to preorder it?
and also macmicro is located in Titles right?
Yes, MacMicro is located in Titles. I can't answer your first question, but you can call them right now. Just call McMaster, 0 and ask for MacMicro.
Old 08-16-2010 at 12:37 PM   #7
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

If macmicro doesn't have stock, there's also a Canada Computers about a 10 minute bus ride from campus. Its located at Dundurn Plaza, just across the 403, and its pretty much the most serviced route in Hamilton, so you won't have to wait long for a bus. CC generally has better prices than MacMicro and should have plenty of stock for back to school. You can also check the Canada Computers stock online before you go.

http://www.canadacomputers.c om/loc...jgik6p67s 3#3
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:17 PM   #8
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

When bringing a printer into res, do people typically share it with their roommates? I don't want there to be two printers cluttering up the room, but it'd be kind of cheap of me to ask him to split the ink money.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:18 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
When bringing a printer into res, do people typically share it with their roommates? I don't want there to be two printers cluttering up the room, but it'd be kind of cheap of me to ask him to split the ink money.
No, it's better to have your own printer. You can put printers on the floor beside your feet if you don't want to take up desk space.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:21 PM   #10
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
No, it's better to have your own printer. You can put printers on the floor beside your feet if you don't want to take up desk space.
Yeah, I guess that is true . Guess I have to buy my own fridge now. I doubt my roommate would share that if I didn't share my printer :S. His mom's packing his food for him for the week I think.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:23 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that is true . Guess I have to buy my own fridge now. I doubt my roommate would share that if I didn't share my printer :S. His mom's packing his food for him for the week I think.
You could always barter. Let him use your printer if he lets you use his fridge. You might want him to supply his own paper though, but that's up to you.

For my room, I let my roommate use the fridge and he's the one that bought the fan.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:25 PM   #12
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
You could always barter. Let him use your printer if he lets you use his fridge. You might want him to supply his own paper though, but that's up to you.

For my room, I let my roommate use the fridge and he's the one that bought the fan.
True. I wouldn't normally mind sharing, but my printer isn't a laser printer and you know how expensive ink is :S. Ya, I am a little stingy.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:27 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
True. I wouldn't normally mind sharing, but my printer isn't a laser printer and you know how expensive ink is :S. Ya, I am a little stingy.
I'm pretty sure you won't need more than 1 extra cartridge and I don't think that even offsets the price of a fridge.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:29 PM   #14
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you won't need more than 1 extra cartridge and I don't think that even offsets the price of a fridge.
Guess I'll just have to see if there's any space left in the fridge afterwards. His parents are packing his food for the entire week, which is kind of hilarious since he has a mealplan.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:32 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Yeah, it's kind of hard to foresee how trading fridge usage for printer usage would work. Like, it would suck if you guys ran out of ink and one/both of you really needed it...and would your roommate be limited to what he can print? What about fridge space? Do you split it evenly or does he get dibs on all the space and you get what is left over?

If you're going to share, you should work these things out ahead of time