MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with my printer. Rakim Computers & Tech 2 09-24-2010 04:00 PM
Buying a printer online Kayee General Discussion 5 09-21-2010 12:31 PM
printer cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-24-2010 04:04 PM
Looking to buy a new printer? LBJ.MVP General Discussion 9 09-03-2009 12:45 PM
printer dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-29-2009 11:27 PM

Buying a Printer

Old 08-24-2010 at 09:21 PM   #31
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Ok fine a printer's not that bad. I think Ill get myself an iPod or mp3 player... my $300 120GB Zune with personalized engraving on it JUST died, a month after the warranty expired. So. Sad.
you should be happy that you have enough money to say "Im rich Ima buy something"
for me... someday
Old 08-24-2010 at 09:22 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
you should be happy that you have enough money to say "Im rich Ima buy something"
for me... someday
lol, we technically have to pay the money back after we graduate... it is OSAP after all.
Old 08-24-2010 at 09:23 PM   #33
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
for me... someday
Yes so I better not blow it... but I have a feeling I will...
Old 08-24-2010 at 10:25 PM   #34
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

I highly recommend a Brother laser printer

Melanieee says thanks to pavlov for this post.

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 08-24-2010 at 11:00 PM   #35
BuzzZero

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Hey guys,

I need to buy a printer this year and I wanna know what you guys have bought and what you like or dont like.

Im not going to be printed an excessive amount of things, and itll mostly be black and white.
Id like something thats inexpensive, and whose ink cartridges are inexpensive (or is laser the way to go?).
I would enjoy an all-in-one, but its not necessary. Mostly I want something thats going to last, be economical on ink, and cause me the least amount of problems. Alot of my friends have pretty dodgy printers.
So what do you think? Any advice?
Thanks!
I've used Lexmark, Cannon, and HP printers and I've found the HP printer to be much better than the other two in every aspect. There might be other better printers but you should atleast pick HP over Cannon or Lexmark.
Old 08-25-2010 at 04:21 PM   #36
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

I bought the printer! Havnt hooked it up yet, because theres no room for it on my desk as of yet. But I will update with how amazing it is
Old 08-25-2010 at 04:22 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I bought the printer! Havnt hooked it up yet, because theres no room for it on my desk as of yet. But I will update with how amazing it is
You can put the printer under your desk or you can put it on a stool next to your desk. When I had my printer in Toronto I had to put it on a stool because there's no space on my desk.
Old 08-25-2010 at 04:26 PM   #38
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You can put the printer under your desk or you can put it on a stool next to your desk. When I had my printer in Toronto I had to put it on a stool because there's no space on my desk.
Yea I deffinitely love that since itll be wireless i can put it anywhere. BUT i have a monster kitty who I dont want to find my printer, cause Im sure hell attack it and get it full of hair, so Ill need to put it ontop of my bookcase i think
Old 08-25-2010 at 04:27 PM   #39
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yea I deffinitely love that since itll be wireless i can put it anywhere. BUT i have a monster kitty who I dont want to find my printer, cause Im sure hell attack it and get it full of hair, so Ill need to put it ontop of my bookcase i think
Lol, that is a good point. Wireless is so useful, I wish I had one because I switch between my two printers frequently and unplugging and plugging in is so annoying.
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:14 AM   #40
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

FWIW, last year I bought a Brother HL-4040CDN color laser, it's a BIG HEAVY mother****er:

It was a couple hundred bucks but it's still going on the original toner cartridge - and I printed a heck of a lot of stuff, both color and black and white. Might be overkill for most students.

You needed two people to lift it!!
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:38 AM   #41
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I hate Brother.

Go with HP for printers, its one thing they are good at.
I have to disagree with this.

When I bought my laptop for first year they were all oh you can get this printer for free or some shit with it and I was like okay good I need one of those too.

Its an HP All in One, and I liked it at first and my mother bought one of the same for the house.

I'm going to be very blunt but I F*CKING HATE THEM.

HP software and even the printers themselves are the most irritating thing to deal with EVER. Every minute spent using them makes me want to poke my eyes out.

The Canon printer I got when I bought my iMac on the other hand was amazing for the short period of time I had it. I unfortunately broke it in a really stupid way b/c I'm apparently a moron. I kind of hate myself for doing it too b/c the other printers we have are those f*cking HPs I hate so much.

I wouldn't wish an HP printer on my worst enemy.

Also I had a Lexmark before the HPs and it was super shitty and annoying too.

Last edited by sew12 : 08-26-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:43 AM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I have to disagree with this.

When I bought my laptop for first year they were all oh you can get this printer for free or some shit with it and I was like okay good I need one of those too.

Its an HP All in One, and I liked it at first and my mother bought one of the same for the house.

I'm going to be very blunt but I F*CKING HATE THEM.

HP software and even the printers themselves are the most irritating thing to deal with EVER. Every minute spent using them makes me want to poke my eyes out.

The Canon printer I got when I bought my iMac on the other hand was amazing for the short period of time I had it. I unfortunately broke it in a really stupid way b/c I'm apparently a moron. I kind of hate myself for doing it too b/c the other printers we have are those f*cking HPs I hate so much.

I wouldn't wish an HP printer on my worst enemy.
You don't have to download HP software anymore, not if you have Windows anyways (I have no idea how it is for Macs). You don't need the CD it comes with, you just plug in the printer and your computer will automatically search for the plugin (or whatever it is) and download it. I have an HP printer and I have 0 HP software on my computer except for the printer itself in "Printers and Devices".
Old 09-03-2010 at 01:49 PM   #43
MTK3

Liked: 0 Times

Is having a printer in our dorms a lot more convenient than going to print in the library? Which is more recommended from experience? having our own printers or printing at school?
Old 09-03-2010 at 02:54 PM   #44
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK3 View Post
Is having a printer in our dorms a lot more convenient than going to print in the library? Which is more recommended from experience? having our own printers or printing at school?
If you won't do much printing, use the library. If you will print, get a printer.
Old 09-03-2010 at 03:52 PM   #45
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I highly recommend the OKI B410d.

-Laser Printer (Prints fast)
-High quality
-Cheap
-Prints double sided ()