MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
does jesus christ exist? dhgn General Discussion 18 11-06-2010 09:28 PM
Off-Campus residences,,, HELP!!!!!!!!HELP!!!! rickytheman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-18-2010 02:45 PM
InterFaith Dialogue Event: Campus for Christ and MSA huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 13 11-12-2009 12:36 PM
are they still checking id in residences? macbaby07 Residence & Housing 5 09-10-2009 05:59 PM
Addresses and phone numbers for residences amyf Residence & Housing 1 08-11-2008 08:09 AM

Campus for Christ in residences.

Old 03-11-2011 at 02:47 PM   #31
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
They still haven't bothered me in Bates. Perhaps members of C4C only hit up their own rez?
'Bating is a sin

MirandaC likes this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 03:24 PM   #32
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

They should not be going door to door in residence. First tell your CA, then tell someone at the Housing/Residence department.
Old 03-11-2011 at 04:52 PM   #33
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
'Bating is a sin

AelyaS, Afzal, _Luu_ like this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 05:47 PM   #34
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Nice folks, despite their blinders... I mean, they are trying to save us from the fires of Hell, after all.

Last edited by Mahratta : 03-11-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2011 at 09:21 PM   #35
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Luckily I haven't been bothered yet... I'm shy when people call me out for random one-on-ones. I think its because I inherited a lot from the Polish side, and that country is about as Roman Catholic as you're going to get...

But I also generally disagree with religious or cultural based clubs (I see them as inherently, whether by design or convention, exclusionary).

doug, RyanC like this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 09:30 PM   #36
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Luckily I haven't been bothered yet... I'm shy when people call me out for random one-on-ones. I think its because I inherited a lot from the Polish side, and that country is about as Roman Catholic as you're going to get...

But I also generally disagree with religious or cultural based clubs (I see them as inherently, whether by design or convention, exclusionary).
well isnt that a point of a club?.. that members are in someways different from others... ppl in a chess club like/play chess... you wouldnt join if u were in no way interested in the game (unless just to annoy the members)

i suck at chess :(
Old 03-11-2011 at 09:45 PM   #37
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
well isnt that a point of a club?.. that members are in someways different from others... ppl in a chess club like/play chess... you wouldnt join if u were in no way interested in the game (unless just to annoy the members)

i suck at chess :(
A club is meant to help people of similar interests meet another and explore these interests. People who like chess can join the club, but people who just like to watch it, or even just want a nice resume bump can join as well and it wouldn't be at all out of place. Things become very, very different when you deal with things like religion and culture, which are, to a large extent, a permanent, and unchangeable characteristics. Could I (as a Caucasian, Catholic female, for example), really join something like a Male Chinese Muslim Association?

Not really. Sure, they can't officially discriminate based on things like race, culture etc. But that's why I said by convention as well. I'm sure the people at the MCMS would be quite nice, but how could I fit in? Would I have nay desire to join, knowing how much I would stick out? How I would be considered something of an outsider, despite being a card-carrying member and participating in events? Would I have much of a chance of an Exec position? Probably not.

The point is male Chinese Muslims would join the club, and pretty much no one else. Never mind also that club meetings might be conducted in Mandarin, or have a prayer component, which could either exclude or offend non-typical members. The things the club is based upon, religion, culture and gender, is not a fluid thing (by and large) that you can develop or learn. It is also something that is important to a person's ind entity, and, in the case of religion essp, their morals and belief system. Nor is it an interest in the same way chess or Starcraft is, which potentially includes every student at the university (vs the MCMA, which would appeal to male Chinese Muslims)

tl;dr Religion and culture should not count as a club, unless its something like "Students of Faith" or "Around the World," which would attempt to deal with as many categories as possible.

Last edited by britb : 03-11-2011 at 09:54 PM.

MirandaC likes this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 11:08 PM   #38
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I have never heard of this happening at other universities. I know something like this would not be allowed at the high school I am in now.