MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
having a hard time with osap! jen.moskalyk Financial Aid 1 07-14-2010 08:37 PM
HELPP Macbook hard drive crashed and exam on wednesday mcm2 Academics 21 04-09-2010 09:07 PM
will titles give me a hard time? sinthusized Academics 2 09-04-2009 12:20 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
Hard Time Choosing Electives Alvand Academics 6 09-01-2008 05:16 PM

Can I qualify for more exam time if I'm a hard of hearing student?

Old 05-22-2013 at 12:43 PM   #1
Ahmed.N

Liked: 0 Times

Can I qualify for more exam time if I'm a hard of hearing student?
I have a lot of trouble hearing in class, I try to sit in the very front row but still it's hard because of all the chatter around me sometimes. Is it possible for me to qualify for extra time on the exams like people with ADHD, etc are?
Old 05-22-2013 at 01:37 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

All requests are absolutely heard out. You should check out Student Accessibility Services for these kind of inquiries. While accommodations are usually broadly acceptable, it has to at least be a bit justified or supported by somebody (doctors, a sit-down discussion, paperwork, etc).

Not juding, but what does being hard of hearing have to do with needing more time to write a test? Consider questions like these if you choose to pursue these accommodations.

Old 05-22-2013 at 02:41 PM   #3
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Get a hearing aid?
Old 05-22-2013 at 03:02 PM   #4
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

you can get more time but you need documented proof written by a qualified individual (like a doctor or a psychiatrist).

You will also be writing in a different exam room.
Old 05-22-2013 at 03:39 PM   #5
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Probably not, but if you believe that a hearing disability affects your ability to write a test, im sure you have some other learning disability that you could use to get extra time on a test
Old 05-22-2013 at 04:19 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Based on what you have described of your situation, more appropriate accommodations would relate to actually hearing things in class, for example ensuring the prof has a microphone, if you have a hearing aid that comes with a mic have the prof use that, etc. Being hard of hearing does not (on its own) rationally connect to being given more time on a written test - I don't see how that can be justified, given what you have written about your situation. If there are other issues, then that may change things. Either way, see accessibility services or whatever they're called now, and they can discuss this with you further.
Old 05-22-2013 at 09:35 PM   #7
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Based on what you have described of your situation, more appropriate accommodations would relate to actually hearing things in class, for example ensuring the prof has a microphone, if you have a hearing aid that comes with a mic have the prof use that, etc. Being hard of hearing does not (on its own) rationally connect to being given more time on a written test - I don't see how that can be justified, given what you have written about your situation. If there are other issues, then that may change things. Either way, see accessibility services or whatever they're called now, and they can discuss this with you further.
Agreed. Rather than aiming for more test time, you should be concerned about actually being able to get all the info taught in class in the first place -- and this is something SAS (student accessibility services) can provide for you.

One of their services is note-taking, where a student (or more) volunteers to send their notes to people in the class that need it for whatever reason (whether they're visually impaired, hard of hearing, can't access the room due to wheelchairs, etc). Interested students sign up on the website and provide sample notes, and the people that need notes look through and see which person they want as a notetaker. it's anonymous, so they don't know your name or situation, and they send over notes through the website after every class. This would make more sense in your situation, as it ensures you get the same amount of info (or access to info) as everyone else

Email them or give them a call

Old 05-23-2013 at 10:15 PM   #8
Ahmed.N

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
Get a hearing aid?
I don't have a spare $3,000 laying around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Probably not, but if you believe that a hearing disability affects your ability to write a test, im sure you have some other learning disability that you could use to get extra time on a test
LOL!

Everyone else, I guess you guys are right, there's no reason why I should be given more exam time . I shall contact SAS then, thanks!
Old 05-24-2013 at 08:34 AM   #9
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed.N View Post
I don't have a spare $3,000 laying around

LOL!

Everyone else, I guess you guys are right, there's no reason why I should be given more exam time . I shall contact SAS then, thanks!
They are right. But for classroom-related accommodations, you will still need proof that clearly states that you have a hearing disability. I would go to your doctor first and get them to fill out an SAS form (which they will have), then book an appointment with the SAS.